Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Supercharged PWC; Sea-Doo...  Holy Quickness! >

Supercharged PWC; Sea-Doo... Holy Quickness!

Notices

Supercharged PWC; Sea-Doo... Holy Quickness!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
1999 was the last good year for the ULTRA..mine ran 67 with 2 peeps and 13 gals of fuel and pulled like an animal and would handle water better then any other ski on the water at that time
I seem to remember a specail handling feature they had at high speed too. I had too buddies that had them. I got some good laughs seeing them get ejected at 60+ mph.

Buck
Old 10-03-2007, 08:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wobble
I am considering getting one but am not sure if CanAm has addressed the reliability issues with the supercharger yet.
Sea Doo has reliability issues????? Surely not!!!!????

Buck
Old 10-03-2007, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything has reliability issuess if enough are on the water. Again I have three and have had zero issues and have put many hours on them. Any time you wind up something that tight to get the kind of speeds they get you can have some problems.

I have owned yamaha's and have ridden the Ultra 250. No problems with the yamaha's but not a power house by any stretch. I personally did not like the ride of the Ultra 250 seemed bulky. To each their own that is why different mfg's. make products.

I hope everyone that makes comments on other brands has had personal expierences with them. Anytime I look at upgrading a boat, ski, etc. I look at many options on the market. I dont get stuck in a rutt a stay brand loyal no matter what is on the market. What may be the best today is last tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Registered

I have found that on the pwc's there is so much involved in set up and not raw horsepower. HP is great, but can't compensate for a poor ride and too much ski in the water. It just depends on the kind of ride you want. The heavier 3-seaters are great for cruising or handling rougher water, but can't compare to the quickness and nimbleness of a smaller pwc that has been tuned correctly. I have one for smoother water and a 4 stroke for the choppier stuff. Just my .02
Old 10-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Registered

My old roomy is pro-racer. He was sponsored by Yamaha, but now I think it's Kawasaki. The last ski I saw him test was a Bo Dupriest built 4stroke supercharged kaw. 420hp, 90+mhp, 0--60 in 3 seconds.
Yea I know you think I'm full of chit. I didn't beleive it either till I saw it for my self. The thing is sick, modified hull and all carbon fiber parts.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Registered

is this the one from greenhulk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN0vK...elated&search=
Old 10-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Registered

I have both of my ultra 150's set up for speed and rough water handling. Shred-master ride plates, solas props, intake grate, sponsons, ADA head, flame arrestors, exhaust mods, pump work. The 99 would do 68 gps and the 03 66-67 gps on pure glass. My Ultra 250 in complete stock form did 67 out of the box and will smoke my 150's and my buddies 70 mph RXP in anything but glass conditions.

All manufacturers have their problems, some more than others. Best thing you can do is buy an extended warranty, buy from a dealer that offers good service and has a good relationship with the factory. In some cases the extended 4 year warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on if the manufacturer refuses to acknowledge known design defects that lead to blown motors and months of waiting for back-ordered replacemtns parts and whatever repairs they decide to cover.

Last edited by Chris288; 10-03-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:42 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I currently have an older Kawa 1100zxi, it will toss you off in a heartbeat if you're not paying attention, even if you are, it still might, it's thrown me at 60+mph twice this year. It is fun and nimble, but I don't like other people to ride it.

My brother has an 05 SeeDooRXP. it ate two superchargers and one motor under warranty(as a result of the supercharger failures). When it's running it is more like a small boat than a jetski, very predictable and stable. If they have indeed addressed the ceramic washer issue as Chris288 says, then I will be looking to buy one for the rest of the family to use. I'll still keep the Kawa though
Old 10-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wobble
My brother has an 05 SeeDooRXP. it ate two superchargers and one motor under warranty(as a result of the supercharger failures). When it's running it is more like a small boat than a jetski, very predictable and stable. If they have indeed addressed the ceramic washer issue as Chris288 says, then I will be looking to buy one for the rest of the family to use. I'll still keep the Kawa though
Yes, metal clutch washers for 08... That will stop the ceramics from fracturing and scoring the oil pumps and eventually blowing the motor from oil starvation, but it's not going to stop the super-charger itself from blowing like my buddies 07 rxp, or the hull design problem that causes 3/4's of the bottom to rip off in one big sheet... Rumor is all new hull for 09 RXP...
Old 10-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Registered

Everyone can settle down a little and quit getting their panties in a wad.

I come from the old school of racing. I'm talking late 80's up through 2001. We used to start a pool before a runabout (couch racer) race started to see how many Sea Doos wouldn't start and hold the race up. If there were a handful of Sea Doos on the line you could bank your money that half of them wouldn't start.

They made horsepower....they didn't make reliability.

As for the current model with superchargers and 4-stroke engines. I wouldn't have a clue as to which one to buy. I have a funny feeling I'd still be on a stand up anyway so it wouldn't matter.

Buck

Quick Reply: Supercharged PWC; Sea-Doo... Holy Quickness!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.