Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Cruising America's Great Loop >

Cruising America's Great Loop

Notices

Cruising America's Great Loop

Old 10-02-2007, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is incredible. Something I have always wanted to do but I don't have the time, money or the right boat. Maybe someday.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
have avoided the locks on the Hudson just about as long as I can.

Bob
Bob,

Can you elaborate more on the locks on the Hudson?

What is the issue with them.

Thanks for your post they have been very interesting.

Dock
Old 10-02-2007, 12:28 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
Bob,

Can you elaborate more on the locks on the Hudson?

What is the issue with them.

Thanks for your post they have been very interesting.

Dock

No real issue with the locks other than the fact there are so many of them and time consuming to get thru. I think there are 57 locks. I prefer the open water with the breeze going thru my hair ..... er in my face I should say ! LOL

Here are a few pics of the lower Hudson in Oct. 05. This next couple of weeks is actually a beautiful time of year to be on the Hudson with color changes.

Bob

Dock, the loop is 5,400 miles I once read.
Attached Thumbnails Cruising America's Great Loop-bob-adrians-boat-trip-nyc-etc-004.jpg   Cruising America's Great Loop-bob-adrians-boat-trip-nyc-etc-010.jpg   Cruising America's Great Loop-bob-adrians-boat-trip-nyc-etc-017.jpg  

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 10-02-2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

No real issue with the locks other than the fact there are so many of them and time consuming to get thru. I think there are 57 locks. I prefer the open water with the breeze going thru my hair ..... er in my face I should say ! LOL
That sounds like a weeks worth of locking there.

Here are a few pics of the lower Hudson in Oct. 05. This next couple of weeks is actually a beautiful time of year to be on the Hudson with color changes.
Great photos. I cannot wait to see that part of the trip first hand.

Dock, the loop is 5,400 miles I once read.
Thanks I was just wondering what the actual distance was. For some reason I thought it was farther.

I'll tell you a funny story. A good friend of ours lives in Charleston and runs a 35 Fountain. I was telling him about wanting to do the great loop and his first comment / question was "What is the record"?

I said WHAT? He said what is the record we have to beat? I explaned that it is not a race and there is not a record and he asked why we could not try it in a performance boat and see if we could set a record. He actually suggested taking about five guys and where possible running around the clock.

Yeah I hang out with some really crazy friends! The sad part is about twenty years ago I would have been up for it!

Thanks again Bob for the info.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i have done some reading on this trip also and i thank it would be fun if you could spend about 3 to 6 months doing the run. Doc as for a record i do remember a few years ago that some racers did race up the Mississippi from New Orleans to St lewis
Old 10-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We're thinking about taking a year to do the Loop about 6 years from now. Planning on using a Fleming 55 for the job. We've done some long trips in our Formula 382 and loved them.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Registered

Been a dream of mine too. Been working out details of changes to be made to my boat to do it. Some things have slowed it down but its looking better again. Seems half the people that have done the voyage have written a book about it.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday

Thanks I was just wondering what the actual distance was. For some reason I thought it was farther.

Yeah I hang out with some really crazy friends! The sad part is about twenty years ago I would have been up for it!

Dock. The loop that BL6 described in his opening post going up the east coast and into the St Lawrence would be much further. Even close to an extra 1,000 miles I would think.

Its funny when we think back to the things we have done, some foolish and some completely crazy when we were younger.
I was going to tell a story but will pass as I don't want to pull this off topic. Actually could probably write a book and don't really know how I am still here.

Bob
Old 10-03-2007, 06:26 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it should be a race!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:18 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

I'd like to do it for my 50th birthday run take 6 months leave and see how far you could make it....I think a 30-37 ft with diesels would be the ticket....

Quick Reply: Cruising America's Great Loop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.