Winterizing in climate controlled buildings >

Winterizing in climate controlled buildings

Notices

Winterizing in climate controlled buildings

Old 10-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterizing in climate controlled buildings

I've seen alot of posts regarding winterizing for freezing conditions. Is there a standard guideline for "winterizing" for a temperature controlled building where we don't have to worry about freezing?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I'd still add antifreeze for the corrosion protection, and in case the furnace fails.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

My garage has the furnace/heater set at 40* in the winter. I have not used antifreeze for the last 3 winters. RV antifreeze does not offer any anti corrsion properties anyway. I just add stabil to the fuel and do normal season ending maintanance. Also, I don't have to worry about condensation in the fuel tank, because temp changes happen slowly.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I am envious of Griff. I need to get myself a climate controlled building!!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Registered

That's all I do but usually set the furnace a bit higher.. I had to add a dehumidifier to the building so I can maintain the humidity as well. (Not so much important in the winter months)
Originally Posted by Griff
My garage has the furnace/heater set at 40* in the winter. I have not used antifreeze for the last 3 winters. RV antifreeze does not offer any anti corrsion properties anyway. I just add stabil to the fuel and do normal season ending maintanance. Also, I don't have to worry about condensation in the fuel tank, because temp changes happen slowly.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Registered

all it takes is a huge snow/icestorm no power for a couple days,i would prep it like it was outside in alaska,can't hurt and the cost isn't that much different. my .02 cents.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Griff
About the same, except I keep my shop quite a bit warmer since I work in there thoughout the winter months. One NG heater is forced air, one is infrared that requires no power, and the floor is heated so I'm not worried about an outage. I drain the blocks and hoses, but don't use anti-freeze. I perform normal end-of season oil/lube changes on engines and drives. I used to use Stabil many years ago but have found Pri-G to be a much better storage additive for the fuel (I have used SeaFoam a time or two with success as well).
Old 10-02-2007, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Extended storage. You should prepare your boat to sit whether its indoors or out. Protect the fuel system. Protect cooling system and external surfaces from corrosion. It's best to drain and replace with an anti freeze like propylene glycol. To drain and leave dry is worse then leaving water in it as far as corrosion goes. For what little it costs it's foolish not to do the best you can with it. Sure you can get away with less, but why?
Jim
Old 10-03-2007, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin,

Even though I keep my building @ 50* all winter, I still winterize with automotive antifreeze. Never know when there might be an extended power outage. Not worth the risk of cracking an engine block.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:38 AM
Speed is everything
Gold Member

I have always kept my boat in a heated garage but I winterize it as if it will be stored outside. Why take the chance. Remember Murphy's Law. If anything can go wrong, it will.

Quick Reply: Winterizing in climate controlled buildings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.