Boat in need of motors: Very confused >

Boat in need of motors: Very confused

Notices

Boat in need of motors: Very confused

Old 10-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Boat in need of motors: Very confused

I am looking at a boat that needs basically everything in the bildge (see picture below) Regardless of what kind of motors I choose, they are going to have to be around 500HP. My question is, do I buy one of those older boats with fresh power, where the power itself is worth more than their asking price for the whole boat and take what I need and sell the hull, or do I go out and start buying the motors, and all the accessories separate, which in my mind is going to be far more expensive when you start adding up all the little odds and ends. I wish it was like cars where I could go and buy rear clip with twin 500hp motors.............
Attached Thumbnails Boat in need of motors: Very confused-hustler6.jpg  
Old 10-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

It will add up very fast, if the deal is good enough do it. If it is borderline look elsewhere.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know what the likelihood of finding a ratty, worthless hull with new motors in it is going to be. Usually you're going to find OK hulls with hardware that's on its last legs- that's when a guy is most likely to sell- before something grenades. rarely can you make out buying a hull then buying the hardware for it piecemeal. I've done total re-rigs and I've run the numbers on rigging a bare hull. I've always found that re-rigs are worth somewhat less than what you have in them and so is attempting to rig a bare, used hull. There's always something out there in good running shape that can be had for less than your parts cost.

I could name 20 or so boats right now that have been sitting for 6 months to 3 or 4 years that need rigging and are priced to move. They're still sitting there.

If you have to do it, budget for every tiny piece and part and consider what your time is worth.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin

If you have to do it, budget for every tiny piece and part and consider what your time is worth.

Words well spoken.

Darrell.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you really like the boat, I would try to buy a insurance claimed boat and stripp the hardware out of it.

Something like this

http://www.cooperss.com/1-1-21829-Fo...ning-Staggered

Otherwise I would walk away

Old 10-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

its not just a bare hull.....it has complete interior, trim tabs, drive assemblies, etc., just needs everything in the bildge......
Old 10-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

used motors anywhere from 5000 to 20,000 for500hp or under
Old 10-03-2007, 11:24 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Call Eddie Young at 615 216 7449 and have him price you a pair of 540 Cu In normally aspraited engines. Should be about 600 HP.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that boat needs more than just motors, Hydrolic steering pump, Trim Pump, K-Plane Pumps, Fuel lines, shifter cables, motor mounts, Headers, Water pumps, Sea strainers, Exhaust aft headres, Battery boxes.

That being said, on the exterior, What drives are on the boat? Does it have Hydrolic steering? K-Planes? What was the original set up, why is the bilge stripped so much was the boat parted out? Lots of questions you wan tto know the answer to, I just don't want to see you get screwed?

Again unless you find another boat you can strip, I think their is more in that bilge than you realize. Not to mention unless you are an experienced rigger, it could mean a world of headaches

Just something to think about I have seen a friend buy a boat thinking it just needing a motor and by the time he was done with it he spent more on fixing it than it was worth, not to mention what he purchased it for
Old 10-04-2007, 09:22 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Ahhhh, just buy it and deal w/ all that crap later.

Quick Reply: Boat in need of motors: Very confused

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.