Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Merc 496 HO Problem (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/17040-merc-496-ho-problem.html)

Vyper340 01-13-2002 07:23 PM

Merc 496 HO Problem

Has anyone heard of a new, out of the box electrical problem that shuts down the engine at 3000 rpm (or causes it to miss violently) on the new 496 Mag HO? My brand new (less than 3 hours) engine has an electrical issue that prevents it from getting on plane and restarting after it shuts down.

Any suggestions? :confused:

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: PQVyper340 ]

rpm 01-13-2002 08:23 PM

There is a service bulletin out with an ECM recall. Call your dealer with the engine serial number and they can check it for you. No matter what, its a new engine, take it to your dealer for proper documentation and warranty repairs. Mercruiser does not stand behind unauthorized repairs.

Vyper340 01-13-2002 09:33 PM

Does Merc have a site listing for recalls?

DONZIMAN2 01-13-2002 09:44 PM

The ones I have seen are available at the service center on there computer. Be advised I became aware of the pushrod issue on OSO before Merc had it listed at there service centers. PQ enjoyed helping with your boat today. I sent you some pics. Talk to you soon. DMAN2

Vyper340 01-14-2002 07:14 AM

Does anyone have access to check for current recalls on Merc 496's?

Sydwayz 01-14-2002 11:03 AM

I have no ideas on where to look for recall info, but my buddy in his 2001 25' Outlaw, 496HO, had the same problem, and several others. He has had a couple of new ECMs.

Brian

CigDaze 01-14-2002 11:52 AM

Dosen't sound like an acceptible situation. I haven't been made aware of this particular recall yet. The last one I recieved stated that the engine has a tendancy to run even after you kill the ignition. Wonder if it's related??

PQVyper340, Are you sure there is a recall out on this or just investigating. I know the new PCM555 control module on all late model smartcraft engines has a feature known as "Engine Guardian." What this does is limit the engine to operating in certain ways if a problem is detected. In other words, it will allow the engine to run at a bare minimum to give you a chance to return to safety or out of a dangerous situation. It may limit rpm, adjust the fuel mixture or make other adjustments "IT" deems necessary. I've even heard of it completely shutting down individual cylinders if it finds a problem. It monitors 60 some-odd variables, so there's plenty oppourtunity for bad readings. You may have a bad sensor, for instance giving it false readings. Just a thought....

You can search the USCG site below for recall info, but it doesn't seem to be updated frequently. Type in Mercury and search away.
http://www.uscgboating.org/mf/mf_srchRecall.ASP

Kentz 01-14-2002 12:24 PM

PQ - sorry to hear. Did PQ test run your boat? the dealer at least?

D2 is right! This board usually knows before dealers about recalls. I too, received "may run after ignition is turned off" FYI there have been 3 on these HO's (certain serial#'s look old old threads) Fuel fitting, push rods, and this ignition stuff.

Keep us posted

Vyper340 01-15-2002 07:27 AM

The factory only "idle tested" it to get the proper fluids and full hydraulic steering set-up. Both engines had 2.1 hours on them when delivered from the factory. I know the dealer did NOT run it at all because I was at the factory when they completed one of the engines and the hours did not change when it was delivered.
The problem that I am having is at 2800-3000 RPM and would not have been discovered at idle. It may be either the ECM or a coil bank problem. I do not think it is a loose or corroded ground because it was just assembled and has no corrosion and all of the items that I checked were connected well.