Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   East vs. West - Boat Builders (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/170620-east-vs-west-boat-builders.html)

Dude! Sweet! 10-08-2007 05:00 PM

Ha ha ha! I'll admit, I saw a 39 GTX at the Scope Poker Run and man that thing was pure sex!

MikaylaHunterCig 10-08-2007 06:02 PM

BEST = Relative term

BajaFresh 10-08-2007 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry (Post 2298766)
Masher,
Kinda seems that way to me also. Seems to me that most boaters in CA or AZ head to the Big lakes to boat, not the ocean, except for Phantom Chaos!:D
Dean

Hey, Norty isn't the only one out there!

My boat was made in Ohio so does that make it East Coast?

I pretty much agree on this one though. Even Eliminators new 43 has a pretty low freeboard. They did say they were going to make a raised deck version though. I guess the market out here is just bigger for lake boats. Not sure why more people don't run in the ocean. I'm always trying to get boats out there but I guess the lake party scene is just more popular. Personally, I'd rather be jumping 4 to 5's @ 60 MPH than sitting in the channel getting loaded! :D

masher44 10-08-2007 06:44 PM

Skater = Great Lakes and MTI built in mid west but designed based off East Coast experience....

Dude! Sweet! 10-08-2007 07:02 PM

You know its funny that there isn't any west coast guys building a real west coast style ocean boat. I do think that there are critical differences between ocean boating in the Atlantic (FLA) and Pacific. Colder tempratures (air and water, generally) the wind and the mixed seas we see out here seem to dictate something with higher freeboard, a deeper cockpit and more passenger protection.

Come to think of it, the old Eddy Morenz Nu-Era 38s are a probably pretty close to perfect example of a west coast ocean boat. Shame they only built 3 of them! (And no Sean, that doesn't mean I'm buying yours!)

DMOORE 10-08-2007 10:17 PM

It's simple, builders build what people want. Most Hot boats out here run in Mead, Powell and Havasu. The ocean boating scene is nowhere as friendly to high performance boats as the south east. There are most likely more boating destinations in 10 square miles of South Florida ,than there is in all of southern California. With a very rocky coastline, pulling up and beaching is non-existant. It's hard to hang out unless your in a large port.
As for the sea state, I ll disagree about no big water out here. There is a reason surfing is so popular on the west coast. As a former SEAL I can tell you it's not uncommon to see 10-15ft swells offshore. That's rough for any boat, including 180FT Partol Coastals.

Darrell.

Michael1 10-08-2007 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by BajaFresh (Post 2299492)
Hey, Norty isn't the only one out there!

My boat was made in Ohio so does that make it East Coast?

Nope. Since your boat was built in Buckrus, Ohio, which is on the west coast of Lake Erie, that makes yours a West Coast boat. :D

I pretty much agree on this one though. Even Eliminators new 43 has a pretty low freeboard. They did say they were going to make a raised deck version though. I guess the market out here is just bigger for lake boats. Not sure why more people don't run in the ocean. I'm always trying to get boats out there but I guess the lake party scene is just more popular. Personally, I'd rather be jumping 4 to 5's @ 60 MPH than sitting in the channel getting loaded! :D

Is that why you moved from Ventura County to the Lake Mead area?:Whatever::D:D

Michael

TeamSaris 10-09-2007 06:11 AM

Spectre just moved west but started on the right coast. That counts right?:D

Dave M 10-09-2007 11:26 AM

Not sure why more people don't run in the ocean.

My guess would be because the west coast doesn't have as much inner coastal bays like the east.

The ocean is fun but I see most people blast out of the inlet, go for a run then come back in and hang out somewhere on the "inside". It's not much fun sitting still in the ocean.

As far as the boats...I do like Warlocks and Lavey's. But, most of the boats I like are east coast boats.

Jigsaw89 10-09-2007 01:45 PM

The east coast is where it's at.