Notices

Hi all newbie Question

Old 09-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi all newbie Question

Hi All

I was involved in the offshore scene in the 80's but got away from it and have been wanting to buy another boat for the last few years.

I recently found a 30 foot single screw hull and trailer with the boat being just the hull and interior NO OTHER COMPONENTS.

It needs engine, outdrive steering gauges (pretty much everything)

The price on the boat looks to be decent and I was looking into a budget to put this back on the water.

Nothing too over the top just a mild engine/drive quality just not radical.

Can anyone ball park me on what is realistic? I assume 15-20K for a big block and a suitable drive steering gauges ect.

Any input would be great when I was in it back in the 80's I knew all this but man have things changed.

Thanks all
Old 09-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

It really depends on what kind of power, drive and other stuff you want to go with. I think 15k is about the least you would spend.

What hull???? It may not be worth the effort.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 271 Likes on 161 Posts

Depends on how fast you want to go. I assume its a go fast - not knownig the hull or brand I'd estimate it would take atleast 550-600hp to break 70mph. Were you going to buy used parts or new? Or maybe a used motor and new transom and outdrive. You would be doing reall good to do $15K with used parts. I'd budget between $17-25K for a used stock 502 with new outdrive and transom. Then you'll have a slow 30ft turd until you get into 600+hp and then you'll start running into drive problems. Might have drive problems with just the single stock 502 on a 30ft boat.

Do yourself a favor and look at my 28 apache for sale here on OSO with almost brand new motors. You will easily be into this one for just as much and thats with just one used motor and a very slow boat. Much better deal to find someone that has just done a refurbish like mine. Throw a new cam in there and those motors will be at 500hp easy.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Registered

Default Newbie Q

I have found 2 up here that are both theft recovery strips.

One is a Skater and not sure what the other was might of beed a Nordic.

They are both 30 footers and in perfect shape on trailers though the boats are stripped of everything.

Nice grafix and interiors but no engine,drive ect.

Both in the 14K range out the door.

My goal was to set up with new parts but used may be better, back when I was in the race thing it seemed so much easier than it is now. (blower no blower big block, small block efi carbs.....)

My budget is 20-25K (on top of the purchase price) I could go more but the goal is to not be living in the boat when the wife sees the bills (she is cool too 25)

This is a great site and have been on here b4 just not while owning anything but my fishing boat.

Cheers
Old 09-14-2011, 02:18 PM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy the skater and finish it. It will have great resale and haul ass if you set it up right.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 271 Likes on 161 Posts

You might could rig a skater with OB's for $25K. Saw an ad in Miami a guy was selling a pair of 300's off his powerplay for $12K, but that is a steal, expect atleast $10K/each for a good used 300 OB. You will need to make sure the fuel tanks have been replaced in the skater, most were originally made of fiberglass which doesn't hold up to the ethanol. That could blow your skater budget.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

Skater never made a 30. The 28's are twin OB boats and the 32's are either twin OB's or twin I/O's.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

Buy a finished boat and go boating next weekend.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Registered

Default Update

OK

One is a Eliminator 30 Eagle 2005 model the other one the guy that runs the insurance pool side states that it says Skater on the paperwork it is a one engine hull.

My goal is to determine if it is even worth redoing a boat, if I have to put 60 K in a boat thats worth 60 k then not really worth it (but at least all the stuf is new)

I am going back up to the yard to look at them again before I out in a sealed bid.

Thanks for the help on this I am just trying to make sure I know what I am getting into before I do it.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Redo

Originally Posted by QKRTHNU
OK

One is a Eliminator 30 Eagle 2005 model the other one the guy that runs the insurance pool side states that it says Skater on the paperwork it is a one engine hull.

My goal is to determine if it is even worth redoing a boat, if I have to put 60 K in a boat thats worth 60 k then not really worth it (but at least all the stuf is new)

I am going back up to the yard to look at them again before I out in a sealed bid.

Thanks for the help on this I am just trying to make sure I know what I am getting into before I do it.
I've rebuilt quite a few off shore boats and am doing one right now. The way the market is now, take your $25K and buy a boat done. There are steals out there. Parts are expensive ands so is labor even if it is your time. Your wife will be much happier if you buy a finished boat. She won't be happy with a long project and cost overruns. This way you get to boat and have a wife too.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598