Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Why Apache are so expensive? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/170981-why-apache-so-expensive.html)

Chris Sunkin 10-22-2007 05:15 PM

Mark is a nice guy and apparently an astute businessman. He's just not the guy that pops to mind when one thinks of Apache- not the old-school, glory days of Apache. Bob Saccenti on the other hand is what I think of. He's one of the godfathers of the offshore boating industry. I think about him building those magnificent 41's and those absolutely outrageous 47's and then winning all thsoe races.

When someone sends me a video where T2x is saying "...the magic throttle arm of Mark McManus...", then he'll be Apache to me.

McManus didn't start Apache nor did he ever have any vision beyond what he's doing today. He's a guy who, regardless of the version of the story you subscribe to, ended up with what was left of Apache after the government disposed of it. That doesn't make him a bad guy. It doesn't qualify him as a legend either.

Comanche3Six 10-22-2007 05:29 PM

When I think of Mr Apache, I think of Ben Kramer.
Unfortunately, when I think of the murder of Don Aronow, I also think of Ben Kramer.

Bob Saccenti was the best rough water throttleman I have ever seen.

Just who did build all those magnificent 41's and 47's?

Panther 10-22-2007 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2313712)
Mark is a nice guy and apparently an astute businessman. He's just not the guy that pops to mind when one thinks of Apache- not the old-school, glory days of Apache. Bob Saccenti on the other hand is what I think of. He's one of the godfathers of the offshore boating industry. I think about him building those magnificent 41's and those absolutely outrageous 47's and then winning all thsoe races.

When someone sends me a video where T2x is saying "...the magic throttle arm of Mark McManus...", then he'll be Apache to me.

McManus didn't start Apache nor did he ever have any vision beyond what he's doing today. He's a guy who, regardless of the version of the story you subscribe to, ended up with what was left of Apache after the government disposed of it. That doesn't make him a bad guy. It doesn't qualify him as a legend either.

Chris, you say it much more eloquently than I can.... At least one person knows the story..:ernaehrung004:

Originally Posted by speedo (Post 2313728)
Wrong!!!! Tommy Adams and Gail Paik.
Eric.

Holy crap, speedo and I agree on something! :ernaehrung004:

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six (Post 2313725)
Just who did build all those magnificent 41's and 47's?

First ones were built by Bob and his team....they put the name on the map.

So anyway.......anyone remember the "Apache - What's in a name thread from years ago?" Even when the man himself told the story some still refused to believe it...:hitfan:

That's all I have to say about this...it's exhausting....I'm gonna go back to enjoying life and taking rides on my Apache! :cool:

Comanche3Six 10-22-2007 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by mccaffertee (Post 2314016)
Mr. McManus was the man behind the success of the Apache brand and introduced the wild and tricked out Apaches that made the brand popular.

Are you sure?

Comanche3Six 10-22-2007 10:26 PM

Beautiful powerboats!

Comanche3Six 10-22-2007 10:29 PM

Is this one?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ_gm9XSEWE

Chris Sunkin 10-22-2007 11:11 PM

I think you have misunderstood the actual facts. Exactly which boat did Mr. Saccenti build? He raced in a 41,and there is some cool videos showing him running the boat flawlessly, but still, I do not think he built it, and if he did, that was the only one. Mr. McManus was the man behind the success of the Apache brand and introduced the wild and tricked out Apaches that made the brand popular.

Where? Bob Saccenti and all the people who were there.

I'm not sure where you get your information from but as recently as last June you weren't even aware that Mark McManus was still in the boat business...

Originally Posted by mccaffertee (Post 2174405)
So, anyone know what happened to Chief? I thought this boat is awesome and since Apache isn't in business, this would be a sure thing. Or is Cigarette got that market?

MikeyFIN 10-23-2007 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 2312428)
You misunderstood my point...

On purpose (like the devil reading the bible)...:ernaehrung004:

With the offshoreboat business/racing being still in itīs infancy/minority I understand your point.
Not so with auto racing..there a engineer / crew chiefs etc have their positions....and the mechanics and drivers their own. Also they rely mostly on measured data not just how it feels, like boat builders even to this day.
Iīd say blow boat racing is using more data in their tuning than anyone regarding boats.

And I think regarding racing you canīt be a fix it all.
I thought I was once one but Iīll stick to wrenching.

MikeyFIN 10-23-2007 03:05 AM

I think you have misunderstood the actual facts. Exactly which boat did Mr. Saccenti build? He raced in a 41,and there is some cool videos showing him running the boat flawlessly, but still, I do not think he built it, and if he did, that was the only one. Mr. McManus was the man behind the success of the Apache brand and introduced the wild and tricked out Apaches that made the brand popular.

And I think you havenīt done your homework or have a hard time understanding what you read from reading at your replyīs...

Even I here up and far northeast KNOW that Bobby S built the first Apache of them all, using the Squadron XII 39 mold.
The red hull white deck boat with Squadron logos and Apache written on the sides raced by Jerry Kilpatrick and throttled by...Bobby S.
He also built at least the first 41 (Warpath) how much Don was involved we can only guess but being so close Iīd say a Lot.

Like the man said himself even here on OSO ..he didnīt have the 41 hull ready in time and had to use a Cig 39 mold which he also states that the particular boat rode rougher because of the wider strakes compared to a Cigarette 39 and A Squadron 39 had those wider strakes.
But looking at a regular Squadron XII 39, Kilpatricks Apache has raised gunnel's so the deck is different so itīs an Apache.
Where is it now??