I Cant Get A F***ing Break >

I Cant Get A F***ing Break

Notices

I Cant Get A F***ing Break

Old 10-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Cant Get A F***ing Break

It all started when i was in my 19" boat at a bar when a poker run came through and I was hooked. So I went looking for a cigarette boat in the area. I found one that needed some work, which is good cause I'm good with motors. it's a 1988 scarab excel 28.8" singe engine 454 with 420 hp factor. I love the lines on this boat!!! Anyway so i fire it up and it's knocking and backfiring through the carb. So I take the motor out and start taking it apart. The cams wiped. I called crane cams and they suggested what I should use, so I get a cam from them, valve springs and roller rockers. Get the motor together and put it back in and enjoyed it for a few weekends. I love the boat but I noticed it's a slug. It's running a 25 p 3 blade but because my tacs acting stupid after 3 grand I couldn't tell how hard I was actually turning. Then I was looking at the ass end of the boat on the trailer and noticed it's got like bottom paint on it the same color as the teal gel coat that was rough as hell. So I take the boat off the trailer which was a scary job and start sanding and buffing for a good weak til it's like butter and get the boat back on the trailer. I borrowed a tool of my dads that hooks to one of the spark plug wires that tells you how hard your turning. gather up some props from some buddies and decide to go out one more time before storage. get out there trying the 25p just to see what I'm working with and I'm running 48 mph turning 4k, I tried a 23p and got 50mph turning 5k, had a 21p and tried it just because and it was even worse, I think I was turning 5k running 47. So i'm alittle pissed cause everyone else sounds like there running 60 or right there this boat, maybe I'm the only one using a gps or I just got a rolling tank or something. Then I'm just cruising cause it's cold out and the water temp dropped pretty far in just 2 weeks and I don't feel like getting back in the water yet to change props. I'm cruising around at 3k for awhile and I punch it to see if in some 6" chop my mph goes up and the boat will only do 40mph. Then I noticed my oil pressure is low and I'm running alittle hotter than normal. So I stop and let it cool. Start it up after awhile and the bottom ends knocking so I guess I spun a main bearing since my oil pressure is real low and it could bearly start like something is ceased. So I call my dad to tow me in in his 16ft. (that was real cute, should have told him to bring some poles so I could troll out the back with some shad) Get back to the dock after a very long tow, load it up and head down the road. Next thing i hear a snap and then my tires smoking and blows up and starts rolling off the side of the road 1/2 mile from my dads house, so I pull in and left it there. What a day, guess it could be worse, it could be the begining of the season unstead of the end. I got a winter project now. Just figured I'd vent with my fellow members. I'm not giving up on this boat yet. I'll be out and ready for next summer hopefully with less problems and more speed.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the lovely world of boating. Are you sure about the 420hp? The 454 were 330hp and 454 mags 365 (I believe) unless yours was built up. I would imagine you would be in the high 50's low 60's with that boat. I think those engines had a limiter at around 4800 or so.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:29 AM
Registered

Thats a heavy boat for a single 454. Even if it is a Mag. I have a 24 Baja with the 454 Mag and 23p prop and the best it does is around 60 dependant on conditions and load. Dont beat yourself up over the speeds other people are saying. Alot of stated speeds get corrected when checked via GPS. Congrats and good luck with the boat. If you can, get the engine dyno'd before you put it back in the boat then you will know how much hp you got to work with.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:56 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

The 420's were 454ci and made in the late 80's and hooked to TRS drives. They had forged internals, dart intakes, holley carbs, crane cam, and gil exhaust.

I would expect the boat to run mid 50's. It older and pretty heavy.

Chances are the metal from the wiped cam ate the bearings.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first ride in a big boat was on my buddies 28 scarab. His ran around 60 and he had a bunch of upgrades. Stick with it, thats a great looking boat!
Old 10-15-2007, 07:14 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How did they fit a big block in a 28" boat
Old 10-15-2007, 08:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
I have two in a 30 with 8.5' beam....TIGHT.

You have to be a contortionist to change the spark plugs.

Most of my maintenance is done while laying across the top of one engine to get to parts of the other......
Old 10-15-2007, 08:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by chuckyarus
So I went looking for a cigarette boat in the area... it's a 1988 scarab excel 28.8" single engine 454.
There's your problem. You wanted a Cigarette, but you got a Scarab!
Old 10-15-2007, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
No problem...remember Mange on the forum with a Arrow 28...572/SC...875hp..
And Wellcraft sold 26 Nova Spyders with twin 365īs even...
With 2X270mags itīs a sweeter boat IMO thou...
Old 10-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckyarus
....which is good cause I'm good with motors. .
thatīs what we all think of ourselves....

Quick Reply: I Cant Get A F***ing Break

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.