Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   You want to avoid this....Broken hitch!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/171190-you-want-avoid-broken-hitch.html)

jafo 10-18-2007 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2310411)
My mistake- not Putnam, PullRite.

Chris- thanks for the link- it's an interesting concept. Are you happy with the Pullrite? It looks like it might take a little getting used to. I'm open to anything on my X, and just about anything would be an improvement over the factory unit.

Chris Sunkin 10-18-2007 09:32 PM

I do like it. It really pulls differently than a regular hitch- more like a 5th wheel. I use it infrequently with anything heavy on it. Usually it's for pulling the Apache from the storage to my shop which hasn't happened in over a year. I've pulled 8 or 9k with it on the highway before and it's real comfortable.

I forgot just how flaky the factory unit was until I looked at my wife's. It's a good reminder not to use it for anything.

P.S. Remain sitting when you get the quote on the Pullrite. List is over 2 grand. I think I paid about $1500. That's about what a custom hitch would cost.

I remeber now what you were refering to. The Ex is classified as a car and the hitch is used to get it to minimum heighth-from-ground. The don't want you to be able to remove it (so little cars don't submarine under you from behind) so they put a rivet in there plus the bolts. They dropped the tank to get into the frame rail to bolt it from the top.

Sydwayz 10-18-2007 09:41 PM

That Pull right is very interesting. However, its going to require some trailer mods. Electric/Hydraulic brakes are going to be a must, and it looks like your truck's factory spare locations is no longer usable.

jafo 10-18-2007 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2310532)
it looks like your truck's factory spare locations is no longer usable.

a problem with a pickup, but the big extra doughnut is carried inside on the Excursion:cool-smiley-011:

Bad Girl 10-23-2007 11:52 AM

how about the reciever?????

I was rearended while getting ready to turn into a driveway off a state route with a speed limit of 55mph. I had a 20" beavertail trailer behind me in a F350 CC dually. A tanker truck was not paying attention and hit me a near full speed.
I had ended up with a major damage to the rig but to the point the reciever took the brunt of the hit. it was an adjustable 8" plate with a pintle/ball type reciever. the 2" square bare was solid and was bent sideways almost 90 degrees. the hitch on the truck was slightly bent at the reciever opening but no damage to the rest of the hitch and mount. amazing.
NOW .. I need a new hitch to pull at truck capacity. the hard part is not getting a custom hitch made but finding a suitable reciever for a total 16000-17000 lb load. Any reciver is rated at no more than 12,000lb but you can get a forged ball for 22,000 lbs.
So what is everyone who is towing these large rigs that weigh much more than the rating of the reciever? Also, why do the trailer manufacturers put a ball mount tongue on trailers even up to a 50" offshore?
Anyone know of a ballmount reciever capable of 17-18k lbs.
Would'nt a person be liable if the reciever/ball broke and killed someone? Just as I read earlier , a pintle is the only option but on a pickup, a pintle mounted to the weak reciever is still a problem.
(Mr. Bad Girl)