Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Man, Fl. Alligators are TOUGH! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/171370-man-fl-alligators-tough.html)

Dean Ferry 10-18-2007 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by UNSANE (Post 2309966)
I think that's the gator I saw last year during mating season right next to the entrance to Hidden Harbor marina. It was trying to attract mates by facing the shore and getting as much of its body out of the water to show off. I remember 2 butt head on skis going right up next to it on their skis to get a closer look. I mean RIGHT next to the thing! Those crackheads were very lucky that the gator was in the middle of his booty call and ignoring them. That was one big MO FO!!!

and they taste better than chicken!!! :D

U,
Where is Hidden Harbor Marina, on the St. John, north of Lake Monroe?
Dean

UNSANE 10-18-2007 02:42 PM

Right where the lake goes back narrow to the river, on the north. The marina is just past the I-4, 17-92 and railroad bridges on the west. It's tucked in there pretty good, hence the name 'hidden' I saw that gator just on the north side of the railroad bridge, just south of the harbor entrance. It was BIG!

Downtown42 10-18-2007 03:04 PM

what's a bang stick?

Jigsaw89 10-18-2007 06:57 PM

Some type of dynamite?

LostinBoston 10-18-2007 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Downtown42 (Post 2310092)
what's a bang stick?

A long pole with a holder for a shotgun shell (or available for any round) on the end. When thrust onto a surface the shell fires directly into the target. Used to be commonly used for shark fishing for the same reason.

I've seen some big ones in lake Jessup also. Houses there dont have sea walls, they have gator walls.

fatdaddy 10-18-2007 09:05 PM

:eek:

cuda 10-18-2007 10:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by sakoutis3 (Post 2309915)
Ph*ck em just eat him.

He's too tough. Debbie says the three to five footers are better, and she should know. Her daddy has caught hundreds of gators, most of them by hand. He is the true Crocodile Hunter. He's no more scared of a gator, than I am of a lizard on my back porch. He told me he's only lost two gators he ever got his hands on, one because he was just too big, and the other because he was dumb enough to grab one by the tail. He usually grabs them by their jaws. :eek: Those were on the Suwannee River and swamps.

Here he is, with Debbie back a few years ago.

My neighbor had tags last year for here on the St John's River (which Lake Monroe is just a wide part of), he got a 12 and a 12.5 foot gator on the same night, right here by the boat launch. He said they didn't travel more than two miles from the ramp, and they saw at least a hundred gators.

cuda 10-18-2007 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by LostinBoston (Post 2310359)
A long pole with a holder for a shotgun shell (or available for any round) on the end. When thrust onto a surface the shell fires directly into the target. Used to be commonly used for shark fishing for the same reason.

I've seen some big ones in lake Jessup also. Houses there dont have sea walls, they have gator walls.

I cross Lake Jessup on the bridge quite often. If it's calm, you can see a lot of gators there, many in the middle of the lake, and usually, you'll see gators near the edges. It is also just a fat part of the St John's.

cuda 10-18-2007 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry (Post 2310008)
U,
Where is Hidden Harbor Marina, on the St. John, north of Lake Monroe?
Dean

I've been in Hidden Harbor. You can buy fuel there. There is also a restaurant and bar there.

Downtown42 10-19-2007 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by cuda (Post 2310565)
Here he is, with Debbie back a few years ago.

that sure is a funny looking gator in the back of truck :ernaehrung004: