Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Who owns the photos? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/171746-who-owns-photos.html)

AB From Windsor 10-26-2007 07:47 PM

Let's hear three Cheers for Ron! I couldn't agree more with your reasoning.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 10-26-2007 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ron P (Post 2315731)
We welcome the press, media and photographers with open arms. No fees to pay, just a big thank you for attending our race in Destin and helping to promote the sport of Offshore Powerboat Racing.

You can even sell the images if you want and we'll still say thanks for attending.

See ya next week in Destin.

Thank you Ron.

I did appreciate that fact I did not have to pay your organization to promote their events when I came to St Clair last year. Flat water there usually means a total loss for me after paying the airfare just to get there.

But it is one event that truely needs the exposure for all of the sponsors they bring in. I try to get there each year just to say thanks for keeping offshore alive in that little town... :ernaehrung004:

SHARKEY-IMAGES 10-26-2007 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388 (Post 2316272)
Dee is the only one I know of thats not trying to make money on it.

Rob,

That comes across like there is something wrong with trying to be compensated for all of the time, effort, skill and money spent on equipment to get the shots.

Not to mention all the time away from the family for those that have them.

Some people have been compensated or at least should have been, but they tend to keep it quiet....

Excuse me if I took your post the wrong way, but that was how it came across to me and I was already in a bad mood...:throw:

:hitfan:

SHARKEY-IMAGES 10-27-2007 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by ChristianGott
Shh...
Don't share the fun. Keep our sport secret.
Whoa! It costs *money* to do stuff it the offshore world?
Don't share pictures or knowledge...you'll only ruin it
for..........why don't you finish the statement.

An old friend once said, "Open your mind, and shut your mouth". I
wonder how that statement fits in the offshore world?
c

Perhaps it's the theory, If you don't provide to those people stuck at home, they may make an effort to attend the races ? :confused:

Even that still doesn't work for me...

I have shared all organizations event photos from all different people that were willing to supply them to me. I have linked other people's photo albums on my site to help people find race photos to look at in hopes it may inspire someone to race, sponsor or even just to attend an event.

The question now is, should I remove that webpage I built for this organization to direct people to their site as well as other's sites related to that organization? :confused:

I know that seems counter productive, but it was a feeling I was left with when I walked away on Sunday.. :(

FeverMike 10-27-2007 11:08 AM

WOW...what a crock of chit with SBI! I guess all those Destin 2006 pictures I took I am safe from being sued! I don't sell them anyway and gave some ful rez pic away.

Sharkey, best of luck with your photo biz. I am all for ya and on your side. Check out www.fencecheck.com this is a great airshow, military photographers forum. It has tons of info about equipment and the laws of the biz.

Phil M 10-27-2007 12:55 PM

You need not worry -

SBI - is all bluff - and all threats - they know they cant collect- thats why NO CONTRACT - they just want it in CASH -

Take your camera - and walk right by them - put a CBS or ABC decal on it - and just push them aside - act like you are the real press - make up a phony id - and just do your thing - They want to control everything - they try - but in the end - they know that they cant - thats why you never got a contract - they would never - NEVER sign that themselves- they dont want to be on the hook either - all Bluff - Bluster -

Must be a slow carpet instaling season !

P

Oh - by the way - you can give the photos away - NO LAW about giving them away- - you could always give the photos - and sell a pen - the pen might be expensive -

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine (Post 2318753)
Interesting thread .......

Phil, thanks for sharing your experiences.

It has now been a week and I have yet to see any contract to view.

They had said I wouldn't be allowed to sell the photos without paying the $1,000 to SBI.

I would think I would be able to give them away then right ?

Let's say for an example that any racer that wanted to make a donation to Shore Dreams For Kids, I should be able to give them the negative of their boat now couldn't I ? :ernaehrung004:

Regardless,

Like Phil has explained, it doesn't seem to be legal for an event held in the public domain for someone to dictate what you can take pictures of unless you are on private property and even then it has to be the land owner to object not someone renting the space..

Here is some good reading from an attorney:

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

I couldn't agree more Team Taboo.

But for now, I won't be shooting any more boats for some time...

FeverMike 10-27-2007 04:31 PM

Phil has a good plan Sharkey! Get some Sharkey Marine pens made up! SBI seems like a crock of chit.

LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS 10-28-2007 12:44 PM

I always heard too that if you see it you can shoot a pic of it, as long as it wasnt on a military base, or while trespassing. My father is quite an outdoor shutterbug himself & has sold a decent amount of pics over the years.. Actually it is my understanding that the photog has the majority of the rights on his side, something about freedom of speed or press or some kind of rights.. Anyway a photog is more of an artist & his pic is his property & he has the rights to the photo. He can sell it, give it away or lease it if he desires.. Much like an artist with his painting..

Look at the paparazzi & thier pics. The only time they really get into trouble is when they blatently cross the line.

You dont get this $hit at other sporting or racing events.. Prohibiting people from taking pics at these events whether it is for fun or profit is NOT going to do anything to help the sport in my opinion. Taking pics & getting them out there could only help the sport in my opinion.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

100-Plus 10-28-2007 04:06 PM

With this kind of shortsightedness and greed from the head of a sanctioning body, is it any wonder why offshore racing remains a third-tier motorsport?

Ron P's approach, on the other hand, isn't just sensible. It's good marketing.

imax 10-29-2007 12:41 AM

Late into the thread...

I was talking with Sharkey the other day and when he told me about this I couldn't believe my ears...

I would love to see a copy of this so called contract and have a good attorney pick it apart. I'm sure it can't be worth much more than the paper it's printed on.

See you all in Key West... SMILE :D :D

Imax