Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What used to be boat of choice for smugglers in the 70's/80's???? >

What used to be boat of choice for smugglers in the 70's/80's????

Notices

What used to be boat of choice for smugglers in the 70's/80's????

Old 10-27-2007, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they used every boat possible,from flats skiffs to to shrimp boats,the "lucky too" 40' hull #1 used to be called the "black bean" and reportedly brought in alot,it is now a deep sea fishing charter,open fish scarabs were very popular boat,they arrested half the fire/police dept. here in the eighties.keep in mind that all of this new technology,and manpower still only halts about 6% of the drugs coming into the country.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:05 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Being in the boat business in SE Florida since 1979, the only boats I KNOW were "transporters" were a 36' Cigarette, a 36' Mirage, a 36' Scorpion, a 33' Carrera and the center console Midnight Express. A dead giveaway was a low x-dimension, high fuel capacity and a 36" square foredeck hatch.

The aforementioned boats either came up for auction or were for sale when I was selling brokerage boats back in the early 80s.

I remember the Cigarette was dark green and the Midnight had 800 gallons fuel capacity and 4 200 Mercs. The Carrera had such a low x-dimension, it wouldn't respond to outdrive trim. The 36' Scorpion had #3 SSM drives and 6 hours on the meters. If I remember anything else, I will post again.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
Being in the boat business in SE Florida since 1979, the only boats I KNOW were "transporters" were a 36' Cigarette, a 36' Mirage, a 36' Scorpion, a 33' Carrera and the center console Midnight Express. A dead giveaway was a low x-dimension, high fuel capacity and a 36" square foredeck hatch.

The aforementioned boats either came up for auction or were for sale when I was selling brokerage boats back in the early 80s.

I remember the Cigarette was dark green and the Midnight had 800 gallons fuel capacity and 4 200 Mercs. The Carrera had such a low x-dimension, it wouldn't respond to outdrive trim. The 36' Scorpion had #3 SSM drives and 6 hours on the meters. If I remember anything else, I will post again.

what would be the benifit of a low X dim?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-27-2007, 09:16 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by jayboat
It's exactly like the story I posted a few years back.

You obviously have long term loss of short term memory from smokin too much mexican dirt weed from Tommy's buddy.

Great story, Tommy. It reminded me of a guy I knew who drove to Mexico in the 70's with a motorhome, packed it to the ceiling with bales and drove all the way back to NC. Said he did it 3 times and made a LOT of $$$ but the stress was unbelievable. He quit while he was ahead.
easy there defensive boy, I'm quite sure it's possible that similar instances happened to both...as ed said, working at everglades back then I'm sure saw plenty.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:20 AM
Banned

You all are watching to much tv and movies,
Old 10-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by glassdave
what would be the benifit of a low X dim?
Makes the boat plane and have a good running angle with the cabin fully loaded. However, when the boat is empty it doesn't respond to trim.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think TRS and Deep Vee.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:34 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
Think TRS and Deep Vee.
Most of those sterndrive boats had #3's. Remember, money was no object and reliability was a priority.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
easy there defensive boy, I'm quite sure it's possible that similar instances happened to both...as ed said, working at everglades back then I'm sure saw plenty.

bgchuby- I wish I still had some of the photos...
back then very little was grown in the US compared to now-- it is the largest cash crop in several states. It had to be imported and a lot of it came from the caribbean and south america by boat.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 10-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
Most of those sterndrive boats had #3's. Remember, money was no object and reliability was a priority.
Mine was all black hull, grey deck, no interior, 500 gal fuel w 400 cyclones & #3 drives. Only had one bullet hole in the hull to patch that hit the front tank when I bought it. Good thing it was probably full other wise the driver would have been "well done"

Quick Reply: What used to be boat of choice for smugglers in the 70's/80's????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.