Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Offshore Boat Rankings (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/171977-offshore-boat-rankings.html)

XPRESS 33PP 10-28-2007 08:39 AM

Another one to look at is the 33 Powerplay. There are 4 mid 90's listed in the classifieds that are in your price range. They are a legend for built quality and rigging and one of the best rough water boats you can buy. A real sirius offshore boat that should not be overlooked. Only about 4 33 Sport Decks made each year so there is not alot of them around. It's nice not to be lost in a sea of boats just like yours. 111 boats in the LG fall poker run and only 1 Powerplay.

PARADOX 10-28-2007 09:20 AM

Johnfharding. !

Now that you have a budget, you have to decide on the USE of your new boat, and speed you want. I been a boat owner since the mid 70's, and my boating has changed over the years.
For Ex. .. if you use your boat on LOTO you need a type of boat. Offshore another. Lake Michigan .. still another. How often you will use your boat. stored? on lift? dry? trailered? etc.
I just thrown away 5 boxes of old boat catalogs from the late 70's to mid 07's. Cleaning garage. :)
I also know the LOTO well, been visiting the Osage area since the 70's. What a change since 1975 WOW.!
Here a few comments to the other posts, (not to dismiss any or critic, just comments.
Fountains... To many around just like Bajas. good boats For the $. lacks the "stand out.. unique factors" (I wanted something in the not so typ. standard boats category.)
Donzi's a bit heavy. nice ride good quaility. Donzis changed ownership throughout the years, Check into the year, who was owning the co. at the time. YOu will see the dif.
AT. Hustler, Cig's, Nortechs. are great might be hard to find a value for your budget.
Outerlimits. Apache, may be way out of the budget. Powerplay / Powerquest have a somewhat high bow and the ride is a bit different. (you might like that tho.)
Formulas, Sleekcraft. Scarabs may be the best all around
However. that's just my opinion. I love Outerlimits, Apaches. AT's Cigs. Hustlers, Nortechs.. but for now. my budget is not that extensive either. :(
I would recommend for you to find the boat you like and ask OSO for info on that boat in stead of a wide open question that is hard to answer. I like all boats. love a few. :ernaehrung004:

XPRESS 33PP 10-28-2007 10:58 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Powerplay / Powerquest have a somewhat high bow and the ride is a bit different. (you might like that tho.)

Powerplay and Powerquest are two totally different companies, made in different areas of the country. The boats have very little in common with each other and the lines of the boats are very different.

PARADOX 10-28-2007 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by XPRESS 33PP (Post 2320012)
Powerplay / Powerquest have a somewhat high bow and the ride is a bit different. (you might like that tho.)

Powerplay and Powerquest are two totally different companies, made in different areas of the country. The boats have very little in common with each other and the lines of the boats are very different.

True Epress, didn't mean and disrespact for the boats. They are 2 dif. boats. However similar in style. (Specifically, I mean the high bow design) They had a feud and law suits long ago with the names, and mold rights. Later years Powerplay came up with the sport deck. lower bow.

fountain4play 10-28-2007 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by johnfharding (Post 2319503)
If I had the Green Light today. Let's say a used 29 to 35ft boat. Late 80's early 90's or newer for less than 60,000. I would say this would be the high limit. I no where a 1989 31 Cigarette Bullet for about 38000. That I thought looked a good deal for a good boat, with twin 330hp 454's with supposedly 5 hours on the rebuild and 400 hours on the boat, it had bravo's. Thats just 4,000 dollars more than what I paid for my Cobalt. Something in this age/price range would be perfect.

Well if your looking at a 29 or so I have a 2000 - 29' Fountain in the classifieds and it's at Raymonds on LOTO. Their not Brokering it for me, just have it stored inside, give me a call I'll make you a deal...Jim

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o16099-en.html

:ernaehrung004:

XPRESS 33PP 10-28-2007 11:44 AM

No problem, just clarifing, the original Powerplays were 6" lower than the later 90's boats and have always looked the same from their inception. There were never law suits over the molds, only the name. When Powerquest first started in the Great Lakes area they used the name Powerplay. Powerplay Marine of Pompano Florida sued them for using the name, thats when they started using the name Powerquest.

AIR TIME 10-28-2007 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by boating37 (Post 2319145)
Look into a 30 y2k supperboat here a lot of goodthings about it,I'm looking my self and that is one on top of the list for me.You get a lot of boat for your money.And is one fast boat.
Single 525 efi merc seeing 82-84

with a 600efi they are getting 84

AIR TIME 10-28-2007 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by XPRESS 33PP (Post 2320041)
No problem, just clarifing, the original Powerplays were 6" lower than the later 90's boats and have always looked the same from their inception. There were never law suits over the molds, only the name. When Powerquest first started in the Great Lakes area they used the name Powerplay. Powerplay Marine of Pompano Florida sued them for using the name, thats when they started using the name Powerquest.

you are 100% correct:D, love the powerplay the powerquest looks more like a formula with the windshield than a PP.

johnfharding 10-28-2007 02:13 PM

About the 29 fountain.

[QUOTE=fountain4play;2320036]Well if your looking at a 29 or so I have a 2000 - 29' Fountain in the classifieds and it's at Raymonds on LOTO. Their not Brokering it for me, just have it stored inside, give me a call I'll make you a deal...Jim

I like your boat a lot, especially with the twin sbc's. I think that is cool. Unfortunately I'm more researching at this point than anything. How fast is it and how does it ride on 4th of July weekend. The 27 I drove would ride pretty good with a little bit of tabs and about 30mph , even in the nasty stuff.

Regards to other responses. I don't really care if I stand out. its more about the fun factor and reliability. I don't really plan on racing or whatever and I would probably want to trailer the boat so I could keep it in dry storage. Thats why I wouldn't want anything over 35ft. My original idea was to get everyones thoughts and opinions and I think I have that. It sounds like there is the more Rare Elite line of boats like Active Thunder, Nor Tec , Outer limits, Cigarettes, and then the Fountains , Formulas, Bajas, etc. For me , as long as the boat is built well, reliable , great quality, etc, and the hull is as efficient as possible in case I was to get power hungry one day. I really appreciate everyones thoughts. I will come here before I buy.

fountain4play 10-28-2007 02:35 PM

[QUOTE=johnfharding;2320121]

Originally Posted by fountain4play (Post 2320036)
Well if your looking at a 29 or so I have a 2000 - 29' Fountain in the classifieds and it's at Raymonds on LOTO. Their not Brokering it for me, just have it stored inside, give me a call I'll make you a deal...Jim

I like your boat a lot, especially with the twin sbc's. I think that is cool. Unfortunately I'm more researching at this point than anything. How fast is it and how does it ride on 4th of July weekend. The 27 I drove would ride pretty good with a little bit of tabs and about 30mph , even in the nasty stuff.

Regards to other responses. I don't really care if I stand out. its more about the fun factor and reliability. I don't really plan on racing or whatever and I would probably want to trailer the boat so I could keep it in dry storage. Thats why I wouldn't want anything over 35ft. My original idea was to get everyones thoughts and opinions and I think I have that. It sounds like there is the more Rare Elite line of boats like Active Thunder, Nor Tec , Outer limits, Cigarettes, and then the Fountains , Formulas, Bajas, etc. For me , as long as the boat is built well, reliable , great quality, etc, and the hull is as efficient as possible in case I was to get power hungry one day. I really appreciate everyones thoughts. I will come here before I buy.

It will run in the low 70's with a moderate load, it's bone stock and nothing has been done to the motors, there very reliable about as fuel efficient as you can get with twins...

Oh you can run around 45 or maybe a little faster with the tabs at 3-4 when it's really sloppy like a 4th of July weekend, but you still have to be on guard for some of the huge cruiser wakes, especially when a couple of them come together at the same time...

I made it a point not to run it WOT or anything close when it was that rough, all your going to do is tear up things and the last thing I want to be doing is sitting at the dock on the weekend.