Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need advice (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/172147-need-advice.html)

fountain 47 sc 10-29-2007 02:28 PM

Need advice

I was running the gas low in my motors with Sea Foam in the fuel for the end of the season. I ran out in my port motor about 3 miles from the dock and kept running on plane to the dock and pulled out. Is there anything special I need to do with that motor? (Triple 502 MPI stock motors in a 47 Fountain)

Sydwayz 10-29-2007 03:13 PM

You probably want to fog those motors before putting it away for the season. You will need to put a few more gallons of treated fuel in there, enough to do the winterization/fogging. (Be sure you know how to fog a fuel injected engine correctly, by filling the fuel/water separator 1/2 full of 2-stroke oil, NOT by spraying fogging oil down the throttle body.)

Be aware though, that running the last bit of fuel out of your tank sucked all the sediment and crap that is floating and suspended in your tank into the fuel filter and/or fuel water separator. It is advisable to change them out for safety's sake. I'd do this now on that motor that ran dry, and run the fresh 5 gallons or so of fuel through it while winterizing. If anything made it into/past them, I'd want to make sure that crap was not going to stay there for the winter to create more havoc.

Running a gasoline 4-stroke engine out of gas is not too terrible. Doing so with a 2-stoke is definitely not good. Doing so with a diesel is also not good, but mainly because they are so hard to start dry.

fountain 47 sc 10-29-2007 03:57 PM

Thank you. I will take your advice. I may want to take it out a few more times this season if the weather is nice and I keep it in a heated building but it sounds well worth it to do the simple things you suggested to prevent any problems. I'll do it this week!

TexomaPowerboater 10-29-2007 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2321137)
Running a gasoline 4-stroke engine out of gas is not too terrible. Doing so with a 2-stoke is definitely not good. Doing so with a diesel is also not good, but mainly because they are so hard to start dry.

Thats funny. I was trying to winterize my buddy's 25hp merc OB and he told me to run it out of gas with fuel stabilizer. It started running pretty bad at the end and I just shut it off. I figured since the fuel was also the lubricant (since its mixed with oil) then running it out of gas was not the best idea.

Audiofn 10-29-2007 05:31 PM

DEPENDS on the outboards. If they are oil injected then you are fine running them low. I don't like to leave gas in any of my motors for long times.

Sydwayz 10-29-2007 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 2321317)
DEPENDS on the outboards. If they are oil injected then you are fine running them low. I don't like to leave gas in any of my motors for long times.

It all depends on the layout of the oil injection system, depending on when the oil is injected into the fuel/cylinder. If you have a carbureted 2-stroke, chances are not much of the oil is going to make it to the cylinder when the reeds are 'open.' If you have a fuel injected and oil injected 2-stroke, you are in better shape, but I still don't recommend it.

fountain 47 sc 10-29-2007 08:28 PM

Just changed the filter, started it and it runs fine. Thanks for the advice. I may hold off on fogging them.