Shooters Shootout Cancelled for 2008 at LOTO >

Shooters Shootout Cancelled for 2008 at LOTO

Notices

Shooters Shootout Cancelled for 2008 at LOTO

Old 10-31-2007, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Which paper? Can you post a link? Nothing in the lakesunleader about it. If the Toad worked for the OSS races I cannot see why it wouldn't work for the Shootout. That is the most logical place for this event to move to. I cannot see it going away. Way too important to the local economy.
www.1150krms has the news story.... Check you Sunny PM box man.

Hopefully someone steps up and organizes this thing... it would be a total shame to let this go, just because the local authorities can't handle it.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:06 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

why was it canceled? i couldn't get the link above to work.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-31-2007, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

http://www.1150krms.com/?q=node/1428

NO LAKE RESCUE SHOOTOUT IN '08
Submitted by Michael McSorley on October 31, 2007 - 1:14pm.
The executive committee for the Lake Rescue Shootout says the event will not have a 20th year in 2008. Tuesday, after hearing three proposals from local businesses who wanted to hold the event, the committee voted to not have the event. Osage Beach Fire Chief Jeff Dorhauer, chairman of the event, says the decision was made after looking at the amount of work the Shootout requires.

"By unanimous vote we decided that we've had nineteen good years, let's go out on top, and make sure that we're not compromising other areas we should be paying more attention to."

Jeff says that the event was taking up more and more of the fire districts' time, using more and more taxpayer funded resources. He also says the late start to try to get the event going for next year may have damaged more than just the quality of the product.

"After the presentations the board had quite a lengthy discussion and what we found, especially going over the past five years, is this event has gotten so big, and it took so much to make it happen, it was straining the services."

Looking at the effect on the community, Jeff says there is a possibility that the event can take on new organizers, but the Lake Rescue name will not be attached to it. He also adds that this will not affect taxpayers adversely.

"We knew that this was a possibility at some point, that it was going to exceed what we could do," Dorhauer said. "I surely have no plan to go to the voters for any money because this event's gone. We will make up the money that we are losing through grants and other programs."

The event raised approximately $150,000 in its 19th year, $83,000 of which was split between Gravois, Sunrise Beach, Lake Ozark, and Osage Beach fire after all costs were paid.

» Add new comment
Old 10-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I am glad I got to go this year and at least see it once. Hopefully some one will step up and host this.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:19 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

In a nut shell, (1)Shooters 21 is closed and being torn down where the event has always been run
(2) The lake fire departments who run the event say they don't have manpower to run the event any longer.

I wouldn't bet 100% on it being cancelled. Several places have expressed interest in holding it. Sommeone is just going to have to pick up the ball and run with it. Its a huge event, so its gonna take some serious $$ and planning to make it happen.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

If it has a way to make money someone will take it over. Did you pay to attend it?
Old 10-31-2007, 02:33 PM
Registered

It was free to attend, which is why it was such a great event. They could defintely make the entry fee a little higher and still be within a reasonable rate.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyzq8
www.1150krms has the news story.... Check you Sunny PM box man.

Hopefully someone steps up and organizes this thing... it would be a total shame to let this go, just because the local authorities can't handle it.
Thanks Matt.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure how successfull it will be without an affiliation to a civic organization or charity. I know I donated my time to the event because I wanted to give back to the FD and lake as a whole. I wouldn't if if was a for profit event for a local watering hole.

Not that someone won't step up, the income to the Fire districts was not huge considering thier overall budgets at the end but having a 4th holiday weekend at the lake was nice for the economy as a whole. The event also helped put the lake on the national map as a destination.

While the taxpayers may have footed some of the bill for the FD work, I think the mall, hotels, bars and resturants more than made up for it in taxes collected. May people also stayed through labor day.

Anyway if that's all folks, it was a great run and a great event.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

I think Griff is dead on - not sure it will get going again, but I would not bet it out yet.

Quick Reply: Shooters Shootout Cancelled for 2008 at LOTO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.