Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Shooters Shootout Cancelled for 2008 at LOTO (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/172276-shooters-shootout-cancelled-2008-loto.html)

Smitty 10-31-2007 03:48 PM

I bet with all of the members here we could get something going. If all they need is more volunteers then I bet we could assist with that need.

What do you guys think??

mjpcowboy 10-31-2007 04:00 PM

This is a huge loss and I think the board should reconsider their decision.:(

RunninHotRacing163.1 10-31-2007 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Von Bongo (Post 2323477)
I am not sure how successfull it will be without an affiliation to a civic organization or charity. I know I donated my time to the event because I wanted to give back to the FD and lake as a whole. I wouldn't if if was a for profit event for a local watering hole.

Not that someone won't step up, the income to the Fire districts was not huge considering thier overall budgets at the end but having a 4th holiday weekend at the lake was nice for the economy as a whole. The event also helped put the lake on the national map as a destination.

While the taxpayers may have footed some of the bill for the FD work, I think the mall, hotels, bars and resturants more than made up for it in taxes collected. May people also stayed through labor day.

Anyway if that's all folks, it was a great run and a great event.

I still say they (fire depts) and the city did OK ! seems to me our hotel bill,rest,fuel,all had tax on it and the 83,000 even being split is still more then they had before . Looking through shootout books seems the fire dept has done OK over the 19 years and has gotten some nice equipt out of the shootout !!! seem to remember JEFF D at the trophy presentation did say the show would go on for # 20 and it would take 3 guys to replace him .my .02

30 outlaw 2005 10-31-2007 04:37 PM

I got to go the first time this year(Thanks Smitty) Glad I went and hope im going bacK in 2008...:ernaehrung004::ernaehrung004:

JaayTeee 10-31-2007 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Von Bongo (Post 2323477)
I am not sure how successfull it will be without an affiliation to a civic organization or charity. I know I donated my time to the event because I wanted to give back to the FD and lake as a whole. I wouldn't if if was a for profit event for a local watering hole.

Not that someone won't step up, the income to the Fire districts was not huge considering thier overall budgets at the end but having a 4th holiday weekend at the lake was nice for the economy as a whole. The event also helped put the lake on the national map as a destination.

While the taxpayers may have footed some of the bill for the FD work, I think the mall, hotels, bars and resturants more than made up for it in taxes collected. May people also stayed through labor day.

Anyway if that's all folks, it was a great run and a great event.

Mike,

We need you in the annoucers booth.

Your input makes the broadcast worth listening to.

bunbuster 10-31-2007 05:19 PM

I also would love to go back , It's one the best events of the season!! But I hope who ever starts it again doesn't get greedy and wreck the event !!

JaayTeee 10-31-2007 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 2323503)
I bet with all of the members here we could get something going. If all they need is more volunteers then I bet we could assist with that need.

What do you guys think??

I'd be game for that.

30 outlaw 2005 10-31-2007 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by bunbuster (Post 2323605)
I also would love to go back , It's one the best events of the season!! But I hope who ever starts it again doesn't get greedy and wreck the event !!

WOW did not think I would see you here...:ernaehrung004: I got pics....:food-smiley-007:

bunbuster 10-31-2007 05:38 PM

I don't recall any pics ? :D I'm always on here, just waiting to give my 2cents .

johnfharding 10-31-2007 05:52 PM

Arrgh!

I live so close to LOTO and this is an event to be proud of. This is hard to swallow.