TUFF 28 goes 95mph with 525efi

Notices

TUFF 28 goes 95mph with 525efi

Old 11-06-2007, 02:53 PM
GT
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RBT
GT how much speed difference is there between the 525 and 600sci?
I have seen as much as 10 mph in the exact same kind of boat between the 525 and 600. That 600 is a STOUT motor. The Howard 28 with a closed bow and a 525 motor is good for 80 mph with an all stock X dimension, XR drive, and lab 28 with a 1.50 GR.

I agree with the post above,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,running a light vee near triple digits or faster is "attention getting" to say the least when you take a big side gust of wind,,,,,,,,,,,,but I guess anything free and fast would feel the same way.

Also,,,,,yes,,,,,,,,,,,,I did mean there is no one running a vee at 95 mph with a 525 but the Tuffboat.

Kirk,

I don't think the Joker wants to be known as a "Goo Guy".
Old 11-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by socalstone
You always throw your little digs in don't you? I've noticed you've tryed to pick apart Tuff's 28 a number of times with smart-azz comments: lack of cabin, pad bottom, haven't raced it yet, etc. etc. What is your deal? Are you jealous that this guys boat is gorgeous and fast and people are interested?

I know this is a forum (and like azz holes -we all have opinions), but geez. give the guy a break.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Registered

The extreme 29 525 runs around 92 to 96 I forget but saw high #,s there boat is a 24 degree, I have been in a few boats with 21, 22 degree hulls and in the ocean they ride hard, even my boat has a small pad about 4'' but its 24degrees and I am always for running hard in the ocean, that pad on the 28, is wide it looks and the 22 degree hull on top would have to hear how it runs in real water not lake water.look at sutphen no pad 26 degree hull and there just as fast as any other boat in its class but handle like a much larger boat. you should bring that boat out to the ocean and do some runs and no having a cabin is cutting out a lot of people, but cig still sells the 36 without one, but I bet they sell more cabin boats, in the 28 ft class good rough water boats are the joker 28 sutphen 31 single, superboat y2k, progession 29, activator 30 all with cabins. tuff demo boat for 135,000 seems steep, most of the others you can get for 100,000 or less. so thats my opinion.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:19 PM
GT
Registered

Where can I locate some data on this extreme 29? I would be very interested to check out a 29' boat with a 24 degree bottom running 90+ with a 525 merc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that is also an impressive statistic.
Thanks

Also,

I will say something about lake water(since it's where I do most of my boating): The bottom of the boat has to be right to run fast,,,,,,,,,,there is no way to "cheat" the handling when the water is flat. When the boat is connected to the water constantly,,,,,that bottom better be right on, or you are probably going to get wet. I have run up to 3' white caps in my boat and I would say that is the comfortable limit at triple digit speeds(IMO). I wouldnt even think of running ,my boat with the East Coast guys. That is a whole different kind of boating. There are some bad ass 24 degree deadrise east coast boats that just plain fly through the ocean, at some crazy speeds, which is cool because that is what they are set up to do. I would not expect those same boats to run 100+ mph in the glass of a freshwater lake without some tab and good driving Once again,, just my opinion. Its funny how these threads spark up so much different debate.............It's an interesting topic though I think.

Last edited by GT; 11-06-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:24 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

GT, fully agree on hull design, being desinged for its main use.
There is an owners forum for the extreme here on OSO.
Dave Wardey builds them.
I'm not aware of a 525 29shotgun, which is the pleasure version. with a 425hp 496 its running 83, which imo is impressive. These also are running SVL w/ full canopy and i believe 525s.
Here's a pic i have...
Attached Thumbnails TUFF 28 goes 95mph with 525efi-extreme-29-shot-gun.jpg  
Old 11-07-2007, 10:58 AM
GT
Registered

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Dave Wardey builds them.
I'm not aware of a 525 29shotgun, which is the pleasure version. with a 425hp 496 its running 83, which imo is impressive. These also are running SVL w/ full canopy and i believe 525s.
Here's a pic i have...
Thanks,

I will check that out.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:15 AM
RBT
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Dave Wardey builds them.
Here's a pic i have...

That looks lower profile than the Tuff..... which has no effect on it't rough water ability.

RT
Old 11-07-2007, 12:14 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

i'm not too sure how low it is compared to the tuff, but it likes rough water and flies pretty darn level.
Attached Thumbnails TUFF 28 goes 95mph with 525efi-extreme-vortec%5B1%5D.gif  
Old 11-07-2007, 12:18 PM
RBT
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

i'm not too sure how low it is compared to the tuff, but it likes rough water and flies pretty darn level.
good, cus there are a lot that seam to think that you need to be heavy slow and have high sides to run in rough water. length, balance and constant keel have more to do with it than anything.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:47 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

well, it may fly nice and do well in rough water, but it wont ride like a heavy 41 apache.

Some like the drive of a Lotus Elise, others like a Bently GT.

Quick Reply: TUFF 28 goes 95mph with 525efi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.