Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who Makes The Most Reliable Outboards >

Who Makes The Most Reliable Outboards

Notices

Who Makes The Most Reliable Outboards

Old 11-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yamaha grew into the company it is today for its quality and unparalleled reliability. You see more of their outboards worldwide, from work tenders in Europe to fishing rigs in Latin America than any of the other brands. Don't get me wrong, I like Mercs and Evinrudes for their own specific features and performance, but you won't be dissapointed with the Yammy!
Old 11-02-2007, 06:18 AM
Registered

I've had Evinrudes, yams. and mercs. and had good luck with all of them. I've found if you keep good clean gas and oil in them they last and last.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:19 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,067 Likes on 282 Posts

Yamaha and Merc. Friend of mine has E-Techs on his Intrepid and has had nothing but issues.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

7 Years Ago When I Was Shopping For My Motor The Dealer Sold Both Merc And Yams.he Told Me Want To Go Fast Buy A Merc .want It To Last Buy A Yamaha.bought A Yam. Had My Motor To The Dealer Once In 7 Years For Service.but Today With The 4 Strokes Its A Pretty Level Playing Field.before The Verados The Merc 4 Strokes Were Rebadged Yamahas.good Luck
Old 11-02-2007, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by marylandmark
BobbyB only has 1 cents, not 2 but anyway...

I think twins drive and dock better than a big single and if one breaks Sandy and kids can still get to a safe harbor.

I would go with twin Honda's- the downfall is they only make them up to 225HP if you were going to go with a single.
The Albury Brothers are built around the gas tank which is centered in the middle. Single 250-300 or twin 140's or around 800 pounds. The bottom design is differnt in such that it is made to give a soft ride in the rough and with the spray rails it dispurses the water away. Boat rides more in the center vs stern heavy to pack water. In the last year Ive tested many of the big names, and was not impressed with their ride. These boats are use to going back and forth through the Bahamas, the transom is 1-5/8 thick. Im still looking at either a 225 which is good for 43mph or a 250 for 46mph or lastly twin 140's which is 48-49mph. For us its about the reliability vs the speed, but dont necessarily need the over kill on the motors if one will be so reliable. www.alburybrothersboats.com thanks Jeff
Old 11-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Mark Oh by the way your warranty is up.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Registered

im seeing an awful lot of, and hearing good things about the suzuki's, i priced a pair of them yesterday for the 250's they want 14k a piece and are throwing in the guages and controls,the mechanics and owners ive talked too rave about their reliability and fuel mileage
Old 11-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

These Days Reliability Is The Norm.most Boats You See Being Tow In Are Usually Out Of Gas Or An Older P.o.s. I've Been 48 Miles Offshore In The Atlantic More Than Once And Never Had Any Issues.buy The Way Those Albury Brothers Boats Are Preet Nice.!!!
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

They're all pretty good and reliable these days and the warranties have become a company-to-company competition.
I use the following link as a comparison for fair pricing- they sell in large volumes and are a pretty decent benchmark to find out if you are getting a decent buy from your local dealer.

http://www.edsmarinesuperstore.com/
Old 11-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Registered

I have had them all and the Yamaha is by far the best, I have a 115 4 stroke EFI and it is so quiet that all you hear is the pisser. Plus the rigging and matched gages are great, all digital and all tied to the motor. Even trim angle is on there.

Quick Reply: Who Makes The Most Reliable Outboards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.