Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Aluminum Offshore Boats - Research (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/172472-aluminum-offshore-boats-research.html)

PARADOX 11-25-2007 08:41 AM

Search Companiesin Europe.
Many Al boats. THere is a race from England to France. Most of the OS boats are like submarines. 60'+ alum.
Good luck with your designs.

Chris Sunkin 11-25-2007 11:10 AM

Liquid tried the aluminum thing with no success. It's just not weight or cost competitive with FRP. If I remember, the first boat Liquid built was run, then scrapped. The owner posted that they got the bottom wrong and the work required to fix it would be more than starting from scratch.

What a unique idea- building a hull desighn from scratch!

Payton 11-25-2007 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2347234)
Liquid tried the aluminum thing with no success. It's just not weight or cost competitive with FRP. If I remember, the first boat Liquid built was run, then scrapped. The owner posted that they got the bottom wrong and the work required to fix it would be more than starting from scratch.

What a unique idea- building a hull desighn from scratch!

What are you talking about?

http://www.liquidtechnologiesllc.com/default.asp

A 44' was run at several Poker Runs around the country this past summer.
Here is their demo boat in the OSO classifieds.
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o18044-en.html

Chris Sunkin 11-25-2007 10:42 PM

Not being able to sell a boat wouldn't exactly fit the definition of "success".

I applaud their effort. It's probably too unique for the market though. If Bob Saccenit can only sell one from his new venture and Craig Barrie can only sell a few Dragons, companies like this have real challenges.

matt81 11-25-2007 11:58 PM

i rember seeing a bad ass aluminum race boat, name was "riveted" saw it in sandusky ohio back in 97 i think?

James 11-26-2007 06:50 AM

We ran (2) different aluminum hulls as "Riveted" 38' Cougar and a 42' CUV - no problems - I can see cost and fabrication time as the draw back in todays market - Re sale on a one off boat will be the scrap value of the aluminum at the time, but that is not a bad thing - this tin can may be the only boat that EVER will increase in value -

blacklabmarine 11-26-2007 06:31 PM

Thank you all for the replies and information - incredibly interesting.

Maryland - my reply must have been ill-worded. I understood exactly what you were saying and completely agree - I apologize for any inadvertant offense!

Larslindroth - appreciate the Scandanavian stuff - some of the best aluminum bottoms I've ever seen. Topsides definitely reflect a different sensibility.

1CE - Good to see a fellow New Englander - where do you run that boat?

James - who made your two boats? Cougar? CUV?

Thanks again - I've been reading the site and have learned quite a bit already...

Jay

1CE 11-26-2007 07:24 PM

J, do not what to fill your thread w/stuff but u-asked, mostly go out of Boston North and South, Capecod to the Islands, Fallriver-Naragansett Bay, Merrimack River to NH and South to Cape Elizabeth. She is on and off the trl. (no trl queen here). I also used to do Winni and Sebago but not as of late (noise laws) re-read my 1st post get in touch w-the guys I mentioned they have a wealth of knowledge as do many others on OSO. I believe alot of aluminum hulls were built in Europe: CUV's in Italy and Cougar's in England. Ask about Bobby K's "SYSTEMS" for example too. Good place is as u-mentioned: Classic's forum and others. Also Look under the classified sections for some excellent examples of FRP boats ck.under Skater,Motion,Ocean Express or MTI to name some. As the others have said prod.costs etc.and todays market may make it unfeesable. Do your best due dilligance good luck. JW "I"CE SCREAM" my boat's name. PS luv to see your shop some time. In my bus.our truck bodies are made from alluminum.

James 11-26-2007 08:58 PM

Jay

Cougar was built in Southhampton England and the CUV in Viareggio Italy - before you go looking further I might warn you that the pound is trading 2x the dollar and the Euro is almost 1.5 the dollar -

Construction on both was welded stringers and diaphrams and riveted skin - weight was consistant with a glass boat for the same period -

1CE 11-26-2007 11:03 PM

to be built

Originally Posted by James (Post 2349091)
Jay

Cougar was built in Southhampton England and the CUV in Viareggio Italy - before you go looking further I might warn you that the pound is trading 2x the dollar and the Euro is almost 1.5 the dollar -

Construction on both was welded stringers and diaphrams and riveted skin - weight was consistant with a glass boat for the same period -

James, Thanks for the info and I remember your boats ":eek: Riveted" Way kool ! Did u-prefer 1-over the other const.wise and how were they powered ? Anyway Jay Perrotta want's to possibly build an aluminum v, If I were to say------I'd say go Cat, but if it's a V why not a 26 degree bottom with all the newer style steps and vents etc. just my 3-cents. JW :D