Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Aluminum Offshore Boats - Research (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/172472-aluminum-offshore-boats-research.html)

James 11-28-2007 04:18 PM

I too had herd stories of rivits pooping out - I went wild purchased 100 rivets and still have 75 left over - We did havea few Incidents where we played bumper boats or stuff the boat and had to replace a panel. It was not difficult but for damn surge there are a lot of Rivets in each sq/ft of boat - Brownie is correct - all the important wetted surfaces are weled and rivet leaks are not an issue. Any person with a hammer and rivet gun can fix, repair or modify and aluminum boat and till not compromise the structure, it will take an expert to do the same with a plastic boat - We washed the boat down with a hose after each race and had few or no corrosion issues -

Dude! Sweet! 11-28-2007 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by BROWNIE (Post 2351494)
The only rivets are in the sides and deck on a Cougar. The bottom, tunnel and transom are all welded. Copeland's 50' four engine Cougar rode so well in the cockpit, that you could beat it to death and never know it.

Man, I feel like a rube saying what I said without a specific quote. I know I read it somewhere... Just wish I knew where!

Thanks for the info though! As I've said before, you guys that were actually there... You are all an invaluable resource to the rest of us.

And to be frank... I kick myself for not buying that CUV when I had the chance!

BROWNIE 11-29-2007 07:17 AM

The best safety feature of an aluminum boat is the fact that they never have catastrophic failures. They will bend, but they never shatter.

BlakeandBrock 11-29-2007 08:02 AM

What kinds of speeds did the Liquid Technologies see in the poker run boat??

It's beautiful

James 11-29-2007 10:43 AM

Good point Brownie - at the end of the day we all want to come back home after a boat ride -Even in the aluminum boats I put screens and water diverter plates in front of the occupants in case of a tear - a plastic boat as we have all seen can come apart much faster -

1CE 12-01-2007 10:58 PM

BLACKLAB, Where did u-GO !

Papache 12-01-2007 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by fabricator (Post 2351402)
There's a bare aluminum cat sitting on a Myco in a storage field here in Ft Myers if anyone wants one. Does anyone local know who's/what it was when it was racing?

Let see some pics of it. Im looking for one

Maritime_Eng 12-02-2007 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by fabricator (Post 2351402)
There's a bare aluminum cat sitting on a Myco in a storage field here in Ft Myers if anyone wants one. Does anyone local know who's/what it was when it was racing?

Is it the bare aluminum 50ft Cougar sitting on a custom red tilit trailer? If so this boat is Dean Clausen's (Owner of the Bravo Shop). I don't think he wants to sell it but everything is for sale for the right price.

Hope this helps
Don

2112 12-02-2007 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by CIG3 (Post 2351516)
Our 40' Caricoff was built in 1973. Been racing it for over 25 year with no major damage. Here is a photo of the original configuration and current configuration which ran in P-3 class in 2005. With 750 Sterling and a weight of 9000lbs. it will still run mid 90's all day long.

Man that is a good looking boat, Can you post more (and bigger) pictures we can save?

fabricator 12-02-2007 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Maritime_Eng (Post 2356105)
Is it the bare aluminum 50ft Cougar sitting on a custom red tilit trailer? If so this boat is Dean Clausen's (Owner of the Bravo Shop). I don't think he wants to sell it but everything is for sale for the right price.

Hope this helps
Don

That would be it. I'd forgotten whose it was, thanks. Do you know the history on it?