Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Something new for my 300xs's >

Something new for my 300xs's

Notices

Something new for my 300xs's

Old 11-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those eddie marine should match battery boxes nicely! Well Done!
Old 11-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Registered

roof mounted..hmmm..yup your right they would leak...how about mounted to a stringer?....such as the way they need to be mounted in my skater
Old 11-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Registered

TZ, doesn't look like they have any side on them so yours are the way to go for stringer mounting, they look good! Are you going to paint them or leave them polished?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tzrider
roof mounted..hmmm..yup your right they would leak...how about mounted to a stringer?....such as the way they need to be mounted in my skater
You'd have to make a horizontal platform. Here's the link to Eddie Marine. You can see it better. http://www.eddiemarine.com/store/car...&p=22093&c=269
Old 11-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Registered

I think I'm going to either anodize or powdercoat them to match the rest of the ancillary parts on the boat..Thanks for the compliments

Paul
Old 11-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tzrider
Looks good as well, certainly different from what came with mine, what are they made of ?
Love to do some boating with you as my brother lives a stones throw from you and i visit often
Metal round bar, powder coated frame that runs parallel to the stringer above the tunnel, base which runs perpendicular to stringer, of same construction. These are arranged in an “L”. Stainless Steel round bar runs along each side of the tank, with about 1in of threads at each end. Bottom end is bolted through the base of the tank holder, and top is bolted through a U-shaped piece that runs across the top of the oil tank.

Look forward to a visit. We had another 28 Skater in the area, but Jim sold it and is building a 30.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Registered

So you do not have the rubber "hold down" strap. Thats great because they cause issues. Here is an e-mail I got last night, I've deleted some locations and names as he prefers not to be identified

TZ,
Ironic you should post this the day after those cheezy coated merc coat hangers failed and almost trashed my new 300XS. I ran from %#$%^& inlet Tuesday wasn't real rough maybe 2 foot. When I got to Lake %$@ I spent a hour or so on my cousins yacht I invited him to ride back to LHP marina and have lunch when we got in the boat the starboard motor wouldn't start and the starter was grinding on the flywheel.
I opened the rear hatch to cross over the batteries and noticed the oil tank laying sideway in the bilge. I didn't think anything of it and put it back on the hanger. Engine still wouldn't start so I called for service thinking the upper bearing on the starter was shot and thats why the starter was destroying the teeth on both the starter and flywheel.
When I got to the shop they noticed virgin oil dripping out of the exhaust. Well what was discovered was the engine was hydrolocked from oil returning into the # 6 cylinder which is where the oil tanks receive their pressure from. Seems that when the oil tank tipped over the relief inside the tank was submerged in oil and sent oil back into the cylinder.
Had to replace starter and flywheel but fortunatly did not bend a rod or blow head gasket engine is OK.
By the way we comunicated here online when you first got your boat. I was rigging my 28 in FTL its finished and I love these 300's. Are you doing 3 motors? When can I get a couple oil trays? Lets get togeather some time
Old 11-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Like I said the piece across the top of the tank is a metal u-shaped part that is through bolted with the round bar that runs along each side of the tank.

I am going to walk out the dock and look closer to see how the tank holder is secured to the boat, and report back shortly.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I took a closer look, just to be sure and know that I did not need to worry about the oil tanks, when I was flying the boat in rough water.

You can see the tank holders are pretty well build. All metal frame, SS threaded rod, though bolted into top piece which is also metal. No rubber, no goofy straps. Secured in two locations along bottom of frame and one location along side of frame. Glued at all three plates, and two screws at each of the three plates.

See the pics I just took below:
Attached Thumbnails Something new for my 300xs's-d2110.jpg   Something new for my 300xs's-d2109.jpg  
Old 11-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Registered

hmmm..All the ones I have seen recently have the same basket but use a crappy rubber strap. I wonder if Merc is now supplying them with the strap as mine are brand new or did I get the older design. Either way I'm happy with the ones we made just have to powder coat them, I might just have to make some matching battery boxes now....

Quick Reply: Something new for my 300xs's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.