Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Diesel High Performance package-Is there Demand? >

Diesel High Performance package-Is there Demand?

Notices

Diesel High Performance package-Is there Demand?

Old 11-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Michael1;2332529]
Originally Posted by Steve 1
The lefties have YET not got around to legislating or placing monetary barriers to any advantages that would be had by running them in a offshore boat down here./QUOTE]

Too late. They already have. It's called the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. There is also a proposal to regulate gasoline marine inboard engines in 2009.

Michael
Here is my thinking they go and try to play with the Diesels there are way too many powerful people with very expensive yachts/sport fishermen and the like that are not going to take that laying down.

Buddies engine package not only unplugs you from high price gasoline (I paid $8.00 for VP this summer) to cheaper and safer Diesel fuel. Secondly Personally I think the Diesels will Greatly enhance the Boats value ,Plus you use the same fuel in your tow truck.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by baywatch
I want to go the diesel route when I repower my 36'. I would say it will be a couple years before I have the extra coin to go down that road.

I would be willing to be a guinea pig if you wanted to dump your package into something to see how it works. To me an Apache would really appreciate the torque of the diesels because it is so heavy and requires so much HP in a gasoline application to get it going. For me Something that cruises nicely is way more important than top end.

I would love to see what you come up with.

Josh
ditto
Old 11-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I to think diesels will continue to become more popular in boating, and speaking from a boater who has had 4 blower motors detonate at a cost of just under 100k , the reliability of the diesel is my first priority, The technology is currently available on all components up to 500hp meeting iso, fed requirements, talking to 2 large diesel engine makers to get 600-800 warrantied, the manufacturers know the market is huge and the are working hard to get these engines built. we can easily get it with aftermarket add ons but need the warranty for people to feel comfortable, but how cool would it be to have big low end torque and paddle shift with your 2 speed from 3200rpm to 2000rpm for cruise and burn half the fuel. we have a catamaran hull ready to go with big diesel power, hoping to get it together by next season, will keep everyone informed
Old 11-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Just look at Hustler and all the boats they make with Diesel's and arnesons.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Banned

Donzi, not sure where you got that info, but you might want to double check that info.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DonziJapan
Didn't any body read my first post in this thread? A Cummins QSB 5.9 marine engine is the same engine they put in Dodge pickups.
Now ya know they have all kinds of go fast re programing modules for the pickups to mess with the engine ECM. The Cummins QSB 5.9 marine engine can be purchased with a pleasure rating of 420 hp. Cummins also sells the same engine to the military rated at 600 hp. The difference between the two is only the ECM program.
Nice power! What about a multi speed trans?
Old 11-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These guys are making power!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B-nU2qj580

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD_7KEcYR4o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxqyxpx4cFQ&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4BrHzlOOQg

Last edited by Steve 1; 11-11-2007 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy OO
I to think diesels will continue to become more popular in boating, and speaking from a boater who has had 4 blower motors detonate at a cost of just under 100k , the reliability of the diesel is my first priority, The technology is currently available on all components up to 500hp meeting iso, fed requirements, talking to 2 large diesel engine makers to get 600-800 warrantied, the manufacturers know the market is huge and the are working hard to get these engines built. we can easily get it with aftermarket add ons but need the warranty for people to feel comfortable, but how cool would it be to have big low end torque and paddle shift with your 2 speed from 3200rpm to 2000rpm for cruise and burn half the fuel. we have a catamaran hull ready to go with big diesel power, hoping to get it together by next season, will keep everyone informed

I want a ride when you get her done.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 1

Here is my thinking they go and try to play with the Diesels there are way too many powerful people with very expensive yachts/sport fishermen and the like that are not going to take that laying down.
Steve,

There a lot of diesels available for any size boat you want. You can get them in thousands of horsepower if you want for the biggest yachts. None of those are really optimal for the 30 to 50 foot high performance market, though, because the engines are too big and heavy. You can get moderate performance 50-60 mph, but not high performance from anything in regular production.

Buddy's package solves a couple of problems. Contrary to popular belief, turbo diesels do not have as wide of a torque band as a gasoline engine, hence, the two speed transmission. The second problem, high torque for a given horsepower, which will overload most drives, is solved with the surface drive.

Buddy's challenge will be trying to build something with high specific power, and be reliable at the same time. This is especially important for a diesel, because diesels are expensive to rebuild relative to most gasoline engines. The second will be meeting EPA emission standards, especially NOx.

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 11-11-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Banned

Donzi, you might want to look into 2 speed tranny's out in the marine market today, know of 2 different ones currently available up to 2500hp.

Quick Reply: Diesel High Performance package-Is there Demand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.