Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Diesel High Performance package-Is there Demand? >

Diesel High Performance package-Is there Demand?

Notices

Diesel High Performance package-Is there Demand?

Old 11-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UNIT IS FAR SUperior to the fass unit, should have it available in less than a month, will post when its ready for sale
Old 11-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I want to go the diesel route when I repower my 36'. I would say it will be a couple years before I have the extra coin to go down that road.

I would be willing to be a guinea pig if you wanted to dump your package into something to see how it works. To me an Apache would really appreciate the torque of the diesels because it is so heavy and requires so much HP in a gasoline application to get it going. For me Something that cruises nicely is way more important than top end.

I would love to see what you come up with.

Josh
Old 11-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Registered

team taboo has run them . and fountain will build you a 42 or 47 with them. a oso member has them in his nortec cat sweet .
Old 11-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Registered

Interesting info DonziJapan. I know a guy who put a single old John Deere diesel in his 29. Wasn't real fast but he only burned 20 gallons of fuel running it for over 60 miles.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DonziJapan
British Thermal Units? The proper unit of measure for ineherant energy in fuels is Joules per Liter. Theres about 39 mega joules per liter of diesel versus 35 mega joules per liter of gasoline. But when it comes to messing with engines its not the amount of energy but the quality of combustion to extract the energy which brings the calculated carbon aromaticity index or specifically in the case of diesel fuels the Cetane Index. Cetane in diesel and Octane in gasoline measure basically the same thing which is the point of auto-ignition. However they are backwards of each other the higher the octane number the higher the point of auto-ignition and the higher the cetane number the lower the point of auto-ignition. Diesel engines operate between 40 to 55 cetane. Now diesels operate on compression ignition which is auto-ignition. The lower the point of auto ignition the more time you have to consume all of the fuel. Thats why the higher the cetane number the higher the quality of diesel fuel. Now the ole boys at the refinery usually use the 4 step evaporation process to balance the cetane and and isocetane to get the cetane number. Then they add in other stuff for lubricity and other properties. Now lets see how many drive byes pile onto this nothing but highschool educated post.
Hey thanks I was just looking at "The Average Energy Content of Various Fuels" everything there is based on the BTU value which is why I used that and everyone understands it:

http://www.jwiwood.com/faq/conversion.html

The lubricant is a good point some ole boys run Kerosene with a quart of oil added every 5 gallons for that exact reason.

Personally I never cared about Diesels except in large boats until recently but now they offer a whole new world of distinct advantages in the High-performance end.

They are everyday just look at you tube the diesel truck racing videos 11 second street trucks are common place and the forums dedicated to the Diesels, 800 and 1000 hp engines are really nothing nowadays (talking street pickup trucks) as for their longevity who knows But I saw claims of 1
30,000 hard street miles from some of the guys.

The lefties have YET not got around to legislating or placing monetary barriers to any advantages that would be had by running them in a offshore boat down here.

Joules? This post required @100,000.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy OO
wondering how much demand is out there for marine high performance Diesel propulsion package?
would 600hp /1200 ft.pds.torque, 1250lbs hooked up a 2 speed transmission with a surface drive, 5 blade cnc propeller with 5 year/1000 hr. warranty be in demand, what other hp. packages would be needed?
Buddy please keep us posted with your project.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Steve 1
Buddy please keep us posted with your project.

I agree...please keep us posted
Old 11-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Registered

There's a Cat in the bahama's running tours with Yanmar diesel/Surface drives. It didn't seam to matter how much they loaded it down with fat ass tourons the boat would still haul ass.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DonziJapan
British Thermal Units? The proper unit of measure for ineherant energy in fuels is Joules per Liter.
There is nothing wrong with BTUs/gallon. They are both measuring energy content per unit of liquid volume.

Michael
Old 11-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE=Steve 1;2332388]The lefties have YET not got around to legislating or placing monetary barriers to any advantages that would be had by running them in a offshore boat down here./QUOTE]

Too late. They already have. It's called the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. There is also a proposal to regulate gasoline marine inboard engines in 2009.

Michael

Quick Reply: Diesel High Performance package-Is there Demand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.