Desert Storm Poker Run-2008-Rooms?

Notices

Desert Storm Poker Run-2008-Rooms?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:16 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Tank, again. It's NOT the cash.

Stu and the FPC do charge a premium for making all the reservations for members but they never book the ENTIRE hotel and tell everyone else too bad.

I am gonna come out and enjoy, but won't be bringing a boat obviously. I don't even necessarily care they blocked it, but I like to be able to book my own itinerary and it's not possible for this event.

I guess I can just stay the London Bridge with all the Edock peeps.

I really did like my room last Spring.
Attached Thumbnails Desert Storm Poker Run-2008-Rooms?-havasu.jpg  
Old 11-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar

Stu and the FPC do charge a premium for making all the reservations for members but they never book the ENTIRE hotel and tell everyone else too bad.

I am gonna come out and enjoy, but won't be bringing a boat obviously. I don't even necessarily care they blocked it, but I like to be able to book my own itinerary and it's not possible for this event.

I know it's not an issue of cash for a baller like you!

My whole point was just to explain how and why it is this way. There's only 130 rooms and there's always WEEEEEELL over 200 boats entered. Obviously theres no room for people that want to book this weekend that don't have anything to do with the poker run. Jim is just trying to secure the whole hotel for this run so theres as many rooms as possible for poker runners.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:36 PM
Bling Bling
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar

Cash, if i were you I'd stay at the Agave. It's across the channel from the London bridge resort. I stayed there alot when I was having my house built in Havasu. It's clean and in my opinion the best in town. Another plus, once your there no more crossing the bridge, Havalina Cantina, Barleys and Shagrues are right there, as well as Mikias for breakfast. There's also everthing you need except hard liquor below the Agave. Not to mention that if you can find a hot hooker in Havasu, that's the hotel she wants to go to.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:55 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by blingbling
Barleys and Shagrues......... if you can find a hot hooker in Havasu, that's the hotel she wants to go to.
Okay, I'm in. Those were definitely the hi points of the Havasu trip.......
Old 11-16-2007, 01:49 AM
Registered

I have stayed many places trying to figure out what works best for me and my family.

The Nautical has a great ramp and is the easiest ticket in town. Parking on the beach wont be possible becuase it will be full, but pulling your boat out wont take more than 25 minutes or so total and then you can launch it again first thing in the AM.

Regarding the Nautical, most importantly get a room on the newer side. These are the rooms that are NOT in the cove. The cove rooms are junk and the rooms I am talking about are actually really nice now. I used to think they were all a dump until I was in one of the rooms 2 weeks ago. I was impressed on the remodel with 42" LCD TVs on the walls.

As bling mentioned, the Agave is nice, nicest hotel in town. London Bridge Resort is good as well if you can get a slip. They are weird about parking there though and have some weird rules.

The Queens Bay condos are a short 5 minute or less walk to the water (channel) and are a great value. They have 2 bedroom models that all go for under $200/night. Full kitchens and more in those make them a great bargin and the units are actually nice.

The Kingsview condos are another option to rent and the are in the channel on the beach. Sometimes you can leave the boat in the water without issues and other times you may get a ticket. Either way, the condos are on the water.

1 more... The Islander RV resort will rent double wide trailers when available. They are not as bad as they sound and they have their own launch ramp as well. If you are a mellow crew, this is a good option. If you are a wild crew, dont stay there, security is very, very, very strict.

Check out vacationrentals.com and look for houses for rent as well.

If you have to launch at Windsor, get there early (8 AM) becuase it will be full quick and a weekend like this.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Registered

Tentative schedule:

Thursday evening - Street Party
Friday Morning - Poker Run
Friday Evening - Card Turn-in Party
Saturday Morning - Shootout
Saturday late morning/early afternoon - POPRA Race (TBA)

Gonna be a big event!
Old 11-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the POPRA RACE here on Lake Havasu?
Old 11-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by IDRPSTF
That's the plan, we're working approvals. Issue is Weekend day or Week Day.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by IDRPSTF
Yes, Jim has been working tirelessly trying to get this thing put together to make it the best DS poker run ever! With the shoot-out, poker run and races, it's going to be a weekend not to miss!

POPRA is on board but getting the coast guard permits is proving difficult. They have issues with racing on a busy weekend. The races may end up needing to be on a weekday (like Thursday) right before the poker run. I'm sure if this is the case it wont be a problem to get spectators for a thursday race, since everyone starts getting to town Wed/Thurs anyway. Whatever happens, it's going to off the hook!!!!
Old 11-17-2007, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thisistank
Cash, the reason Jim has to charge the extra 100.00 for the room is due to the fact he wants to be able to block out the whole hotel for the poker run. To do that, you have to come up with a deposit. Instead of coming out of pocket up front, it's added to the room rate and refunded in the poker run package. Before passing judgement on that remember that
a) he also has to come out of pocket for the numerous permits and deposits on dive teams, helicopters, insurance, photographers etc. etc.
b) he's not the only organizer to add a percentage to hotels if booked through the poker run. FPC does the same as well as many other PR organizers.

Plus, many people that come out to attend this event have a BLAST! I've been to poker runs coast to coast and this is truely a must do event in my opinion. The entrance fee is a fractional cost compared to most poker runs.

Many people come to town this weekend to "attend" the poker run, without entering the poker run. It had become a problem in years past of people coming to spectate the poker run but not enter it. That's all fine and dandy and to be honest I was guilty of this too but if the event didn't exist it wouldn't be the same weekend. I've pleaded over the years for people to sign up to cover the cost of putting this event on even if you just want to spectate. This insures the event continues to strive over the years.

My point being. If you want to stay at the Nautical to be in the middle of the poker run action, I don't see a huge problem with spending an extra 100.00 to give back to those that are supplying you with the event you are attending. If the 100 is a big deal then theres plenty of other options as stated above.

I'm not singling you out because the added hundred has been brought up and gawked at by others here and on other boards but I don't think people see the big picture which is: the cost of and extra 100 compared to the experience is not that big of a deal.

my .02
Tank
what does it cost to enter (entry level)???
I might want to PAY to PLAY this year.

Quick Reply: Desert Storm Poker Run-2008-Rooms?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.