Old 11-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Guys !
Old 11-17-2007, 09:50 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best ride in rough - Cigarette Top Gun TS.

No weird "issues" that you have to drag tab or drive it a "special" way. Doesn't have all the Fridge, a/c, toilet and etc that is going to break. Doens't rattle or have build issues.
And you can't beat re-sale. EVERYONE wants one, and everyone knows about them.
There are alternatives than a 38 TG, but don't take my word for it, go drive all the boats everyone recommended, then drive a Cig. Make sure the water is rough.
Before I bought my TG, I rode every boat I was or might have been interested in. Saw that 99% of what I read on here on OSO about how certain boats were to be "rough water boats" was hype.
IMHO, the only other boats that I rode that had a ride close to the TG was the Donzi 38ZR, and the Fountain Executioner.

Ok, time for:

Sydwayz, why does every post you make about AT sound like "Skippy Slick Promotions"? LOL

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron

Last edited by BillR; 11-17-2007 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All 24 degree v-bottoms of equivalent weight and running surface are going to run about the same in equivalent water. Minor variations in strakes will make subtle differences but unless dramatic (like the Squadron) it wouldn't be likely all that noticeable to anyone but the very experienced.

If you want a good side-by-side example of this, take a look at the Apache video that's often posted on the site. The first Warpath boat is running flat, mashing waves. The second, much lighter Team boat is back on the keel and flying. Same bottom, same motors/drives, different ride. Basic physics. There is no magic. Sorry.

http://media.boatmad.com/gallery/v/m...che_2.wmv.html
Old 11-17-2007, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by excalibur32
It's all in the hydrodymaniticcccs, as Reggie say's. His stuff runs, give him his props!!!
The god of all things, Zeus, gave Reggie a dispensation from adhering to any of the physical laws of the universe. Zeus also granted Reggie the special power to shield his magic juju from the sight of mere mortals. That's why we all stand in marvel at how fast his boats are, yet none of us can figure out how he does it.

I'm expecting Zeus to smite me later this afternoon for letting this out. Wish me luck.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:59 AM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BillR
Make sure the water is rough.
. Saw that 99% of what I read on here on OSO about how certain boats were to be "rough water boats" was hype.
Ok,
But there is the real kicker of them all. A good percentage of oso members wouldn't know what real true rough water is if it hit them in the face. Thats why these threads are so fun to read. Now before any of my true offshore brothers get their pants in a bunch remember I didn't say all! However a lot of people here think 2-3's are 6-8's. In the end any 38' boat will take their idea of "rough" water Ok Bill see what you started Now its my turn for
Old 11-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I my opinion the 38 TG rides better that the 39TG especially the pre 2006's (2001-2005) . I didnt think the ride of the ZR was close. I have riden in the old bottom ZRC and it was smooth water, so no comparison on that one. Jassby's Nortech is one of the softest rides I have ever been in, however I have never been in a 39.

1-2 is lake and bay boating. Offshore where you can be in 6-8's consitantly, go with weight and length.

PS- As for the AT, ask Hot Duck and his friend about the ride in Key West. He has a 45 Apache.

Older Boats- Apache! Powerplay are great rough water beast.

Last edited by crb76; 11-17-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the better question would be .. what 37-38-39 footers run faster and can "handle" 4-5's under the same Horses.
AND.. is there a major difference for steps? pads?
Top speed? You can have a ... boat with WOT at 80+ and can get up to 70 becouse the chops in a Poker Run. Or do 70's all day in 5' seas in another boat.
Let's face it.... most purchases are based on preference, style and price. As far as the fountans.. (no disrispact for F onwers)
Give me the same $ that Reggie spends we would need photo finishing for the results.
I had a guy running a 55' boat from Italy in a Michigan Run, running 70's in 6'-8'+ white caps drinking champane while all the rest of us were holding on to our dear life, in 40+ offshore boats.
Speed = $ spent.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
All 24 degree v-bottoms of equivalent weight and running surface are going to run about the same in equivalent water. Minor variations in strakes will make subtle differences but unless dramatic (like the Squadron) it wouldn't be likely all that noticeable to anyone but the very experienced.

How dare you tell the truth This is heresy to the flag waving legions of Cig owners or their competition's cheerleaders.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:06 PM

It's especially harsh for the owners of Cig 42's. The running surface on that boat isn't appreciably longer than the 38 and the boat doesn't weigh that much more- but all of it on the nose. What you get for all that bump in price is the rough water performance of the 38, but a bit of a speed penalty. It's longer though- and very pretty.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
If you want a good side-by-side example of this, take a look at the Apache video that's often posted on the site. The first Warpath boat is running flat, mashing waves. The second, much lighter Team boat is back on the keel and flying. Same bottom, same motors/drives, different ride. Basic physics. There is no magic. Sorry.

http://media.boatmad.com/gallery/v/m...che_2.wmv.html
I agreed with EVERYTHING you said up until the second paragraph...

Until I learned why the Team boat ran that way in that video I too thought the same thing...
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...4&postcount=76

Quick Reply: 38? The Best Ride In The Rough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.