Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter >

Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter

Notices

Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter

Old 11-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Why not pick up a Quarter Horse while you're at it......
cause ya still gotta feed the ph*cker when your not using it
Old 11-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Registered

im in No Way getting out of boating, i love my single outboard lake rocket STV Euro and the pontoon is a blast for the dogs and barbecues on local islands and the water nazis dont screw with me, and have a 30' proline sport fishing that i had to put a new motor on last night that i got a whole motor for $2750 fresh water and took a hour to install try doing anything in an inboard for that price plus the days of bilge diving are over for me, im just am getting into something different, gas prices and the economy here is bad and its getting hard to find others with boats like my express to run with so im kinda having to run by myself anyway

Last edited by copiercat; 11-15-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jafo
If you think offshore is expensive, try flying.

Amen brother!

I leaned to fly in college and do not regret it at all, I don't have a lot of time now and it takes time to stay current. When I had a lot more free time it was fun.

I went for a period of 5 year and never touched a plane and amazinly you can pick it back up in little time. Things changed a lot from when I learned, GPS's and auto pilots in even the smallest aircraft, XM weather. All stuff we never had in the early 80's.

If you want a great challenge I say do it, and I agree go fixed wing first then to rotors. BTW you ever see how them egg beaters auto rotate?

Last edited by Von Bongo; 11-15-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Why not pick up a Quarter Horse while you're at it......
Now that's pretty damn funny, even from norton
Old 11-15-2007, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Regs are definitely a lot more stringent in Canada than they are here- something to keep in mind. The Sport license doesn't exist in the format we have here. Get yourself an introductory ride in both and go from there, but on previous advice, you're better off to stick with fixed wing first.
As far as comraderie goes, the comments from boaters here that have no experience in the aviation world just don't have a clue as to what 'hangar flying' is all about. Aviators are a very tight group, and although the social experience is different from boating, it is VERY strong amongst fellow aviators, and the functions are endless.

Let me know when you're ready to step up to a Falcon or a Challenger, I can help you out quite a bit more in that area
Old 11-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Registered

Take it from someone that has a Boat, a plane and a freakin quarter horse....
They are all expensive and most people know that going into the purchase. The rest is all based on maintenance and luck. And who you trust to take care of your toys
Old 11-15-2007, 11:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sakoutis3
cause ya still gotta feed the ph*cker when your not using it
I put my boats up in perfect running condition and the next time I use them, the're broken. So how is that different?
Old 11-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

I like the amphib idea--you can be on the water or use an airport. If you get one with removeable wings, you can keep it on a trailer at home and launch it at the boat ramp--just like boating The smaller 2 seaters get 20-25 mpg. The Sport Plane category here in the U.S. also allows you to do your own inspection and maintenance if you get qualified.

Here are two I have my eyes on (the Colyaer Freedom is an amphib and also a glider!!):

http://www.lsa-aero.com

http://www.sportaircraftworks.com/ot...mermaidnew.htm

And then there's also gyroplanes ...
Old 11-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Registered

A certified light sport aircraft cannot be maintenanced by the owner. a kit can, but the certified plane has a much better resale value. Piper cubs are certified LSA's and you still have annuals etc.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Registered

Oh, and you still need a license.

Quick Reply: Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.