Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter >

Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter

Notices

Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter

Old 12-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only reason R22's crashed is mostly because of pilot error. I 've flown them real fility so rent a bell 47 with floats. Real smooth a pleasure to fly, even with a Texas no flybar kit, compaired to Robinson the Switzer 269 old hughs great trainer great to fly.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by excalibur32
Check the NTSB reports twins ain't safer than singles, and in a wind shear condition i'd rather have a piston single than a turbine!!!! Facts not fiction.
Since I'm an airworthiness inspector and DER, I receive the NTSB reports monthly (and have for over 20 years), so I would love to know where those facts come from, especially on wind shear.... A piston single safer than a turbine? Then only way I could even possibly agree with that would be if a turbine gets in the hands of those who have no business being near them in the first place. Having enough money to buy one as a private individual doesn't necessary mean you're able to fly one. Remember Thurman Munson?
Once (and if) one graduates to aviation as a serious profession, pistons are merely the place where you had your beginnings and early memories, or spend time recreating on a nice flying day.
I would MUCH rather be in a shear condition in one of these than ANY single-engine piston propeller-driven aircraft....survivability ratio (in the hands of a professional) is quite a bit better.
Attached Thumbnails Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter-2000ex_8_large.jpg  
Old 12-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TEAMBAJA
Just get one of these and be the most popular guy at the beach! Notice the "swing" hanging from the wing in the one picture for the women?
Muskamoot bay.

Can't get hammered and drive the heli though.

Back to the original discussion. I'm an extravert and sitting alone or with only two people in a plane or heli and not partying would get boring quick. But if you're an introvert the flying thing may be real enjoyable.

You don't get the sense of speed with a single engine cessna (unless you're buzzing stuff). I thought it was boring. I need a Mig29......but that ain't in the budget.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec
This is my logic exactly. I thought about the r22 cause you can rent them, and I can't afford a Skater (won't bother with anything else..ok..maybe a MTI). Too scared of the R22's crash record and heli's in general.

I see the heli's above the race boats usually keeping up with ease(stock engines etc) and then think about all the effort on part of a boat race team to go that fast. It almost seems stupid to boat.

I'm still thinkin the r22 is a cheaper way to go 110mph. And with catamaran insurace rates ??????
110 is slow as chit in a plane. mine does 160 and it is slow. you cant compare those too.

Also, experience is a big factor in insurance. I bought a 6 seater airplane and pay 5k a year for insurance.

Cheap flying is a cessna 172. Thats comparable to cheap boating in a bayliner. you wont be happy for long.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Registered

Well since it takes a turbine to spool up what 2 to three seconds and a piston prop is instantanious, we aren't even talking a 5 million dollar aircraft, oh yea remember the crash in Dallas or GA or NC all wind shear the turbines in final will take awhile to spool up won't they? Know all about training I remember well the guy that died in a training accident here in Richmond VA what 10-20 years ago crashed his lear in shear and the instructors crawled over him to get out and left him to die.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:08 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

A few years ago wiffey and I thought about getting a plane.

Everytime I bring it up she says: "remember, there is no Sea Tow of the sky!!"

The idea of flying my own plane down to Florida in the winter to play with the boat seemed great at the time. But, as a card carrying AARP member, I finally figured jumping into my own plane after a day of heavy boating, likely was not too smart.

Flying tired likely means an early end to ANY activities. <gg>
Old 12-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Registered

Best bang for the buck in my world is the new Gen 3 Cirrus.. 300+ hp.. can flight plan SUS to ISM or either coast in 5 hours with a stop in AL for fuel and potty...

I know of a couple of them lurking on the board....
Old 12-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Registered

Canada has a recreational license that restricts size 4 seat single fixed gear and you can only fly day VFR and with one passenger.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/ge...sonnel/faq.htm

I like flying but boats for me is more fun. My Dad and older brother are both addicts. The latter got his private before his drivers license at 16. He's almost 40 today. The expense is maintaining and storing your toy.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by excalibur32
Well since it takes a turbine to spool up what 2 to three seconds and a piston prop is instantanious, we aren't even talking a 5 million dollar aircraft, oh yea remember the crash in Dallas or GA or NC all wind shear the turbines in final will take awhile to spool up won't they? Know all about training I remember well the guy that died in a training accident here in Richmond VA what 10-20 years ago crashed his lear in shear and the instructors crawled over him to get out and left him to die.
I could bury you in accident statistics about turbines vs. recips, training vs. non-trained, pilot error vs. mechanical fault, and probably write another dozen or so pages about wind shear and stats associated with it. It's hardly worth it or relevant to the thread.
I will say however that I have been in more wind shear incidences than I can remember in both piston and turbine aircraft, large and small. I've experienced it on takeoff and final in both and clear air at altitude in both. Having said that, I would rather be in the cockpit of a Falcon 900EX equipped with wind shear detection equipment than a Cessna 172 without. You usually don't know it's coming, so engine spool-up time isn't going to help you. Lots of training and experience will. Instantaneous loss of lift is unforeseen without previous reporting of its existence, and if you have onboard equipment to detect it in a $40 million aircraft, your odds are better for survival in that aircraft, not some bug-smashing piston. People get stupid and lose their lives all the time in piston aircraft from wind shear; it just doesn't make the news.
It doesn't matter what you're flying- it's still a helluva lot safer than driving, especially in Chicago!
Old 12-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Registered

You guys think too small!!!!!!! Come on!!!
Attached Thumbnails Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter-dsc02344.jpg   Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter-dsc02366.jpg   Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter-dsc02343.jpg  

Quick Reply: Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.