Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter >

Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter

Notices

Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter

Old 11-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=suntimes;2336804]I like the amphib idea--you can be on the water or use an airport. If you get one with removeable wings, you can keep it on a trailer at home and launch it at the boat ramp--just like boating The smaller 2 seaters get 20-25 mpg. The Sport Plane category here in the U.S. also allows you to do your own inspection and maintenance if you get qualified.

Here are two I have my eyes on (the Colyaer Freedom is an amphib and also a glider!!):

http://www.lsa-aero.com

http://www.sportaircraftworks.com/ot...mermaidnew.htm

the mermaid is a chekoslovakian aircraft company and their plane is all metal as opposed to seamaxhttp://seamaxusa.com/ that is brazilian and all composite and does have 2 bolts on each wing to store for transport or storage
Old 11-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

The sport plane/kit plane idea is fun and all, but if it were my money, especially in an amphib, I'd stick with something more proven. These craft take an incredible beating! I rebuilt a bunch of floats and float planes as well as amphibs over 20 years ago (name a mfg and I've probably pounded a rivet or two in it) when I operated a rebuild/sheetmetal shop, and I've seen some pretty crazy damages.
Although the expense is higher, a good 180, 185, or 206 on amphibs or a Lake Buccaneer/Renegade are a much better bet for both longetivity and safety. As an IA and DER, I've been asked by both the FAA and some owners to get involved in the sport plane processes, and have politely refused. It's your choice and your money, but I've seen damn good Lake 200's sell in the recent past for less than 100K, and that's a helluva an aircraft for that kind of money. They're fairly fast, well-built, and give you land or water capability- something that might help replace that need for water with the boat you're going to sell.
Jim
Old 11-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by excalibur32
A certified light sport aircraft cannot be maintenanced by the owner. a kit can, but the certified plane has a much better resale value. Piper cubs are certified LSA's and you still have annuals etc.
Just for clarification (U.S. rules), Any S-LSA sport plane can be certified as an E-LSA sportplane and you can do your own annual (two day course required?). For one or two week course, you can also get your Repairman rating and do your own maintenance. The only restriction on E-LSA is that you cannot rent it (for flight lessons, etc). It's some very progressive rules for people on a budget and good with a wrench.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by copiercat;2336853 [url
http://seamaxusa.com/[/url] that is brazilian and all composite and does have 2 bolts on each wing to store for transport or storage
Sounds pretty easy to take the wings off, maybe I can add them to my list Do they have a sport plane cert yet?
Old 11-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Registered

yes they are sport rated
your right on the lakes, its my plane of choice but they have motor issues from water environment, most never make it to out of time and at 25k for an powerplant STANDARD overhaul plus the non servicable parts lost to corrosion, plus aircraft fuel $5 a gal, faa certifications/inspections, storage and insurance, etc..
id rather keep my boat http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o19054-en.html, plus a horse, been there- done that
Old 11-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No need to give up boating all together. Just get you 1 of these. A Lake 200 just as Jafo mentioned. We'll even let you run with us. If it's busy at this lake, fly to the next one. He was roughly going over his yrly expenses with me a few weeks ago. Flying it is the cheap part, fuel wise. A lot cheaper than running our boats.
The overall cost was more than what I spend on boating, but a lot less than what some guys on here spend.

The water take off and landings are the best.

can't leave out the pic of yours truly... Capt. US1

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
No need to give up boating all together. Just get you 1 of these. We'll even let you run with us. If it's busy at this lake, fly to the next one. He was roughly going over his yrly expenses with me a few weeks ago. Flying it is the cheap part, fuel wise. A lot cheaper than running our boats.
The overall cost was way more than what I spend on boating, but a lot less than what some guys on here spend.

The water take off and landings are the best.

can't leave out the pic of yours truly... Capt. US1

Does that have a stepped bottom?
Old 11-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

couple more shots

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Does that have a stepped bottom?
Of course! See middle picture above.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:58 PM
Registered

I started flying fixed wing,then progressed into helicopters.I thought of selling my Skater and just flying helicopters.The RUSH you get from diving a Skater @100+ is not the same as flying.Flying helicopters takes Alot of concetration.Dont get me wrong flying helicopters is a rush especially practicing autorotations and low level runs.But it takes alot out of you mentally and physically.I hope to have my own helicopter in a few years, right now,dont have $500,000 for a 10 year old jet ranger or $25,000 a year for insurance. For now I will just keep my Skater and renting R22`s and 44`s because you cant rent a Skater

Quick Reply: Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.