Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Will I have problems with one night below freezing?! >

Will I have problems with one night below freezing?!

Notices

Will I have problems with one night below freezing?!

Old 11-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Will I have problems with one night below freezing?!

Hey guys - boat is a '07 Chaparral sig 270 w/496HO and a generator. I'm getting kinda worried. It's down to the wire here due to lack of time - and I've got my boat hooked up to the truck and ready to drop off to the heated winter storage facility tomorrow. Tonight is the first night we may see freezing temps - forecast says 31F as a low. The boat is not winterized yet. My question is should I be worried that one night below freezing will crack my block or cause other damage? I could place some sort of small thermostatically controlled space heater in there overnight, however I'd be afraid to put it in the bilge even with the hatch up for fear of fumes, but could leave the hatch up and heater just near the opening (camper top is up). Any thoughts sooner than later much appreciated!!
Old 11-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by diggitydank
Hey guys - boat is a '07 Chaparral sig 270 w/496HO and a generator. I'm getting kinda worried. It's down to the wire here due to lack of time - and I've got my boat hooked up to the truck and ready to drop off to the heated winter storage facility tomorrow. Tonight is the first night we may see freezing temps - forecast says 31F as a low. The boat is not winterized yet. My question is should I be worried that one night below freezing will crack my block or cause other damage? I could place some sort of small thermostatically controlled space heater in there overnight, however I'd be afraid to put it in the bilge even with the hatch up for fear of fumes, but could leave the hatch up and heater just near the opening (camper top is up). Any thoughts sooner than later much appreciated!!
Doesn't the 496HO have the quick drain system? I would check the manual, you can also drain the block and exhaust, or put a drop light in the bilge.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:48 PM
Registered

Those temps will not hurt it.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

It will be fine with a low of 31*. It would need to be 31* for about 3 days for it to freeze.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:05 PM
scarab
Gold Member

it would take days of freezing weather to freeze your blocks there is about 3 to 4 gallons of water in them it would take a while
Old 11-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Been there, done that...don't worry about it, just close the hatch so the breeze is not ripping through it. It takes a string of cold weather to freeze a block. I would use the hand pump though and blow out as much as you can for good measure, it only takes a couple of minutes.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would never, ever, ever, EVER trust that your heated storage facility won't lose power or its backup generator or anything else. Your boat needs to be winterized. My guess is the storage facility won't cover you and I'd be surprised if your boat's inurer will either.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:23 PM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dont worry about it.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

It takes like what 5 minutes to winterize a 496 per Merc with the blow out tool. I'm not mechanical savvy, but I saw a demonstration and it looked pretty easy to me. READ THE MANUEL.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
I would never, ever, ever, EVER trust that your heated storage facility won't lose power or its backup generator or anything else. Your boat needs to be winterized. My guess is the storage facility won't cover you and I'd be surprised if your boat's inurer will either.
100% true

Quick Reply: Will I have problems with one night below freezing?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.