Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Merc Trans What do you think? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/173458-merc-trans-what-do-you-think.html)

GoFastSonic 11-17-2007 06:00 PM

Merc Trans What do you think?

Any one using these still? Are they worth having rebuilt? Will they hold up to 450 HP Small Blocks?

Edward R. Cozzi 11-17-2007 06:09 PM

Back in the old days when Mercury and Ford were in bed together the MercTrans was born. Most of the guts are from the C-6 Ford hydraulic automatic transmission. It was better than the Borg Warner in three aspects:

1. It was lighter with its aluminum case.
2. The engine could be closer to the transom for better weight transfer and front of the engine accessibility.
3. It robbed less horsepower from the propeller.

I don't believe it was ever offered with big horsepower.

Biggus 11-17-2007 06:36 PM

Cozzi, as usual :ernaehrung004: is right on the money.

Years ago, I had a pair of blown smallblocks (the old Hells Banana M-666) in front of the MercTrans with zero problems. Beat the hell outta them :cool-smiley-027:

Also had one in front of a twin turbo Gale Banks 482 in my 24 Superboat. It didn't work well in that application....:D

Kurt

jeff1000man 11-17-2007 07:02 PM

They should be fine for the smallblocks. I think I have seen them on the 420 TRS set up before from the factory. (not positive on that one, you gurus probably might be able to shed a little more light)

as for Bigger power, I have heard they are not as good as the borg warner ( after it was upgraded of course)

cuda 11-17-2007 08:34 PM

I had the one in the Donzi rebuilt, added an extra clutch, and had the shaft clearance. Should be good to well over 500 hp I was told. Mine came stock in behind a 454/330, with a Trs. Love it.

GoFastSonic 11-18-2007 11:57 AM

Thnaks for the info

We just bought the new Race boat and the guy that used to race it had them for over 20 years"boat is a 79" but a couple of people are telling me to swith to the Borg Warners. I am trying to keep this as low budget as possible so i think just a good rebuild from Bam with the extra clutch packs will do the trick?

MOBILEMERCMAN 11-18-2007 12:09 PM

The merc trannies are not the toughest things available. They can however give you good service. Borg warners will slow the boat. Partly because they move the motors forward.
Jim

GoFastSonic 11-18-2007 03:16 PM

Merc Trans

Can i expect them to last the whole season?

MOBILEMERCMAN 11-18-2007 04:20 PM

Thats a tough question. I think the biggest determining factor is the touch of the throttle guy. And it is my opinion a cleaver type prop is more forgiving.
Jim

GoFastSonic 11-18-2007 04:44 PM

Merc Trans

:DHave a great throttle man and are running 3 blade cleavers so i guess it will be a learning experience. Thanks