Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Paint or Vinyl

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paint

41 51.25%
  • Vinyl

39 48.75%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered
    My Boats:
    '77 Hornet II
    Quote Originally Posted by 502ss View Post
    C'Mon guys and girls, 52000+ members on this forum and only 20 poll replies!

It only takes a second to post, Please post your opinion.
    You gotta realize it's a big holiday weekend

I'm a little surprised that as I vote the split is almost 50-50. I gotta believe somebody doesn't realize what it costs to paint a boat. I bet there's very little that paint can do that vinyl can't. And those things put the cost of paint so far over the top.
    If you have the desire and funding to design a unique show boat, paint is the deal. But for 99% of the rest of boaters that would like to update an old graphic design without breaking the bank and having little return on investment, vinyl is difficult to beat.
    As the intricacy of the design increases, the cost of paint goes up, and the value of vinyl is more apparent.
    Last edited by handfulz28; 11-21-2007 at 04:28 PM.

Registered
    My Boats:
    1987 Donzi 22; 2008 Donzi 28 ZXO
    I think it depends on the boat and the paint scheme you are looking for.

If you want a radical paint scheme, just wrap it. If you want simple, paint it.

I'm currently in the process of painting my Donzi, but it's going to be traditional Classic white/red stripe. It makes more sense for me to paint...

Registered
    My Boats:
    1987 Donzi 22; 2008 Donzi 28 ZXO
    Quote Originally Posted by handfulz28 View Post

I'm a little surprised that as I vote the split is almost 50-50. I gotta believe somebody doesn't realize what it costs to paint a boat. I bet there's very little that paint can do that vinyl can't. And those things put the cost of paint so far over the top.
    If you have the desire and funding to design a unique show boat, paint is the deal. But for 99% of the rest of boaters that would like to update an old graphic design without breaking the bank and having little return on investment, vinyl is difficult to beat.
    As the intracacy of the desing increases, the cost of paint goes up, and the value of vinyl is more apparent.
    I sorta agree, but take a look at the nose of my boat. Concentrate on the shadow on the deck that runs front - back. Also note there is a slight raised area of the hull that runs from front to back under the rub rail, and of course the traditional arnow look of the area that goes 'down' before the rub rail on the deck. One of those things wouldn't be too bad, but all of them combined makes it a PITA to make look even half way decent with a wrap.

I also included one of how it looks now that I'm in the sanding process
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by handfulz28 View Post

As the intracacy of the desing increases, the cost of paint goes up, and the value of vinyl is more apparent.
    We realize that we're fortunate Rob can paint and he paints well. The cost of materials/paint were minimal for us. If we had to have it painted professionally.....not sure it would have been painted!

My Boats:
    1987 24 Skater, 2006 30 Skater
    If you want to wrap it let me know and I'll qoute you a price using 3M scotchprint...........[email protected]

I like Vinyl, because it's alot cheaper than paint, non- permanent and you can change the look of the boat when you want.

My Boats:
    Making the best in the industry BETTER for over 25 years...... Lip-Ship Performance 305-933-9988
    That rendition of what you're thinking is going to cost a LOT of money. Then, as paint scemes go, the paint scheme will get old and the colors will date themselves. With vinyl you can tear it off and re-do it.

I did vinyl, I like it and it's held up way better than I expected. People are shocked all the time that ours is vinyl'd, they think it's paint. Vinyl has come a long way since the standard flat one demension colors of the 90's, you'd be suprised. I will admit though, vinyl does not have the total "depth" of paint. But you're talking a fraction of the price to do it vinyl instead of paint and it still looks great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    My Boats:
    32' Fever, 30' Chris Cat (SOLD) & 27' Lazer (SOLD)
    A buddy of mine owns a vinyl shop and priced my wrap for $2500 using 3M. My boat is a 27' but measures out to a 33' boat with swim deck and so on.....The design cost me $250, but I'm not sure I like the design anymore....here is a pic of the design...we did take the numbers off the boat though...

Registered
    My Boats:
    '77 Hornet II
    Quote Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post
    I sorta agree, but take a look at the nose of my boat. Concentrate on the shadow on the deck that runs front - back. Also note there is a slight raised area of the hull that runs from front to back under the rub rail, and of course the traditional arnow look of the area that goes 'down' before the rub rail on the deck. One of those things wouldn't be too bad, but all of them combined makes it a PITA to make look even half way decent with a wrap.

I also included one of how it looks now that I'm in the sanding process
    I saw your thread on the Donzi forum last night; congrats on finally getting started
    At 20ft, single color, DIY I can certainly see the value in paint. Agree 100% that paint will "cover" those hull features easier than vinyl. But add a second color, any graphic pattern, and you're off to the races on paint cost.

I'm no expert on vinyl installation...the most I've done is put big, single-color vinyl stickers and numbers on my race cars. I was never concerned about how they looked within 10 feet; you could pick out the blend line. But outside that, and in all the pictures, they looked perfect.

My Formula hull has the same features that yours does. It comes down to the installer and how it's layed out.

Registered
    My Boats:
    checkmate 251 convincor,checkmate 253 convincor, 50 gibson
    I have been doing vinyl for over 20 years now, and the materials are really changing with the digital printing and lamanating, really does look like paint !! you can just about wrap a boat 3 times for the cost of one cutom paint job..all things being equal in complexity. I will have to say the earlier post on the quoted $2500 to wrap a 27' is not the norm, he must be a real good friend...hope that one works out !!! sorry....anyway the going rate is about $18-20 per sq ft on a wrap using the proper material that is laminated, for what it's worth, any body want to ask about vinyl feel free to give me a call, Rob, 540-786-8111

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast