Notices

Ebay Sale Shipping COD?

Old 11-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ebay Sale Shipping COD?

I sold a Kubota Snowblower to a guy in Vermont. He is having a shipping company pick it up. He says they give me a receipt,then when it gets to him he pays, then the shipping company pays me. Is this safe? He doesn't want to wire the money. I know it's off topic but it might help somebody. It's almost $2K. Thanks, Doug
Old 11-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

With a reputable shipping company, yes it's safe.

However, the buyer can still come up short, refuse to pay, refuse receipt, and you're out two-way shipping costs, but your item will be safe. It's not like you can get ripped off. Depends on how you write the shipping contract.

Another option is setting up an escrow account. He wires funds to escrow, you get money when he gets item. But on a $2k item the costs may be a bit prohibitive cutting into your nets sales $.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont do it ?????? no tickey no washey !!! Tell him to wire the monies to your account and then you'll load it ,Cashiers check can be stopped if he knows the banker,and even if its damaged in shipping and he biotches to paypal they'll give him his $$$ back .If hes getting a good deal he should'nt have a problem with that . Good luck
Old 11-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RUNNINHOTRACING158
Dont do it ?????? no tickey no washey !!! Tell him to wire the monies to your account and then you'll load it ,Cashiers check can be stopped if he knows the banker,and even if its damaged in shipping and he biotches to paypal they'll give him his $$$ back .If hes getting a good deal he should'nt have a problem with that . Good luck
Pay up front or see you later.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree. Do not ship it unpaid or COD. Wired funds only!!!What if he refuses it? Shipping both ways can get costly for you. Sell it to someone else. I have sold a few cars on EBay and sometimes they want escrow or COD. NO WAY. Even with an escrow he can keep the item and instruct the escorw agent to not release the funds for some wacky reason of his choice.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Guys, you can instruct your shipper to accept cash or official money order only. Some people simply don't feel comfortable wiring 2,000 dollars to a complete stranger on the internet, hoping that their product arrives. COD isn't bad, but you have to give your shipper clear instructions. I've had quite a few successful COD dealings.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ebay is an auction service, and although electronic, it's no different than one you attend in person. You win, you pay all associated costs.
I sell quite a bit on Ebay, and the item AND shippng must be verifiably paid for prior to shipment of goods. You could easily wind up stuck with your blower half way across the country with a schmuck who refuses delivery. You get to pay to bring it back. My advice? Don't do it.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

PayPal is good for $2000 bucks. eBay owns PayPal. That would be my choice.

Either that, or meet halfway. Even if you require the shipper to only accept Cash and/or a Money Order, how can the shipper verify that neither is counterfeit? (Albeit, you could request the shipper use a counterfeit pen for bills, but how bright are these guys really?)
Old 11-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Guys, In the auction I said Pay pal deposit ,Balance in cash at pickup. (local pickup only) I told him wire only and it got real ugly. I told him I would send his paypal deposit back. He told me I was trying to screw him. Doug
Old 11-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I agree with all that CigDaze has said. It is a normal business practice.

I would get a reputable carrier like UPS, not the buyer's jo blow carrier. Also make sure and specify risk of loss. I would make the buyer get UPS or FedEx to act as the agent (shipper). Make sure and specify risk of loss. Have risk of loss pass to the buyer upon delivery to the carrier. Buyer will still have the right to inspect and reject the goods, but he will eat the shipping cost and risk of loss.

The key to making this a cozy transaction is the reputable carrier.

Quick Reply: Ebay Sale Shipping COD?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.