Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   just wanted to say hey from a newish member (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/173726-just-wanted-say-hey-newish-member.html)

Perlmudder 11-21-2007 09:41 PM

toronto was pretty killer growing up. definatly experienced some prtty crazy stuff. i was thinking a trip in the summer to lake george or the 1000 islands would be cool. went to dave matthews band in saratoga springs last year and they had a pretty cool lake there. i dont think its that big though. is it true you need a harbour liscense to boat out of toronto?

Airpacker 11-22-2007 07:42 AM

Yes, you do need a Harbour Licence. Coppers and confiscate your boat if they catch you in the Harbour without one.

You need to do a written test and then an on water test with a marine cop onboard to get one.

Chris Sunkin 11-22-2007 09:46 AM

Do you need any licence or permit to visit? We're looking at a summer place in Niagara on the Lake and would certainly like to be able to buzz out to Toronto.

1bagger 11-22-2007 05:02 PM

Yes anyone who navigates a power vessel within the limits of the Harbour is required to have a licence .
I was pulled over twice this summer for a "safety check" and each time was asked for my Harbour Licence .
I have it now . You need to get a temporary learners permit , write an exam then do an onsite test . Piece of cake .
There is some good info to learn but personally I think it is more of a tax grab. The licence needs to be renewed every year . Cheap . I'm just looking over the little red by-law hand book and noticed this stuff was written in 1911 .
Here is some info
www.torontoport.com
or phone 416-863-2000
the licence office April to August 416-863-2018
Paul

Bobthebuilder 11-22-2007 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2344891)
Do you need any licence or permit to visit? We're looking at a summer place in Niagara on the Lake and would certainly like to be able to buzz out to Toronto.

Chris,

If you only go into the inner harbor a couple of times a year you will not have a problem. I do not have one but get pulled over once each summer out of 4 or 5 visits. I have played the " Gee I didn't know that" card so many times that they now laugh at me. Visitors from out of Province will not have a problem. Just use common sense - no wakes, give the sailboats the right of way, etc and you will be good.
If you do come up let us know and we will show you around. Some great restaurants on the downtown waterfront.
Good luck,:D
Bob

Lofty 11-22-2007 11:12 PM

Welcome, good group for the most part.

Lofty 11-22-2007 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi (Post 2344172)
Somebody tell him about the special, super-duper, bottom wax.

I'm dying over here, I forgot about that one! Perlmuder, don't tell me you have a Mercedes SLR?! :D

Just bustin' your balls, enjoy the site!

Ted G 11-23-2007 12:04 AM

[QUOTE=Chris Sunkin;2344403]

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi (Post 2344387)

Those Goddamned New's are moving in. There goes the neighborhood.

Well, my accountant and lawyer are Newish, that's gotta count for something, right?? :rolleyes::D

Welcome Josh, this place will ruin any chance for success later in life :angry-smiley-038::D

Perlmudder 11-23-2007 10:23 AM

couple days ago i was heading back to toronto and noticed there were still a couple j24's in the water. its gadda be pretty damn cold out there on a sailboat now. wore sandals and a sweatshirt to school tuesday. by thusday everything was covered in white and it was balls cold! that was a kick back to reality!

Bobthebuilder 11-23-2007 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Perlmudder (Post 2345636)
sailboat

Perl, Perl, Perl. We don't use that word around here !! LOL:D