Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Any thought about the Katchina boats? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/173740-any-thought-about-katchina-boats.html)

TexomaPowerboater 11-21-2007 11:55 AM

Tryed to do some research to no avail. Seems the only bad I've been able to find stems from the plaintiff in the lawsuit. Every boat manufacturer has some sort of niche that makes him succesful. Ex. Fountain - speed and efficiency. AT - great rough water ride. IMO - Kachina prides itself on graphics, gelcoat, and options at a great price. They are built on a lake, for a lake. I do not see any mention of, nor any articles of Kachina's running hard in the ocean. Not saying they can't, but clearly that is not their target customer base. Graphics and gelcoat are at the bottom of my must have's in a boat.

I did find how they lay up the hulls: "Like all Kachina models, the 34 Drone was double-cored and laid up with Hydrex 100 resin and various types and layers of fiberglass, including 24-ounce material" (powerboat mag article) http://www.powerboatmag.com/content/view/155/45/
Kind of different language for me. How does this compare to other manufacturers?

I found a 1991 33 avanti for $35K in Florida about 2 months ago if your interested. The ad was on craigslist and is no longer there. I sent the seller a message. If its still for sale I'll send you his contact info.

Knot 4 Me 11-21-2007 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by PARADOX (Post 2343919)
Knot 4,>>> Sure.. I always liked Formulas. I have an old one infact. Send me some more info and pics. etc.

I just emailed the guy to get the latest scoop on the boat and will post the info or PM you when I get it. Boat is like new as it was rarely used and when it was, it was never abused (mature, non-gearhead driver). Would make anyone a really nice ride.

Jeff

Boomer 880 11-21-2007 02:48 PM

Junk but cheap!:D

I have only looked at them at the LA Boat Show, but not impressed with the work. Looks nice from 50' away.

You might want to search on www.hotboat.com and you will have more people that have first-hand information, since it is a Westcoats builder.

PARADOX 11-21-2007 07:20 PM

THanks all.

Texoma. thanks... but I'm thinking about a newer boat. 2000+

Outdrive1 11-21-2007 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Boomer 880 (Post 2344153)
Junk but cheap!:D

I have only looked at them at the LA Boat Show, but not impressed with the work. Looks nice from 50' away.

You might want to search on www.hotboat.com and you will have more people that have first-hand information, since it is a Westcoats builder.

Kachina has never done the LA boat show..........:rolleyes: and he didn't have any dealers before this year. Where did you see it? What year and what boat was it?

The only rap Kachina has ever had with the gelcoat is that they do alot of murals, being custom they will paint what ever you want on the side of a boat. Poor taste has always been the customers choice. The quality has never been in question, the content has. They actually do some beautiful gel work, a small percentage has some rediculous murals on them. They just a wild one for Offensive Tackle Levi Jones of the Bengals. Maybe somebody will tell him his boat is ugly at the lake.

He's been in business since 1969, so they aren't new nor are they unknown on the west coast.

As far as rigging, it's mid level, he puts a ton a features in the boats, paint and upholsters them in any color combination, and hand lays up the boats with balsa core, and multi directional fabric. No chopper guns, no cheap plywood. All marine grade plywood transoms, full length stringers, marine grade vinyl and carpet and stainless hardware. His boats aare heavy. You'll find Livorsi gauges(he quit using Autometer because they were junk), and all EMI hardware along with Merc power standard.

Mine is 8 years old, has a few stress cracks where the hatch bolts to the deck, no delamination, or damage to it after running hard at 80mph for all those years. Junk right? You won't have issues with it.

Oh BTW somebody check the results for the Loto shootout this year, I think a Kachina 34 won at 107mph. Even beat out some Fountain factory boats.:food-smiley-007:

PARADOX 11-23-2007 01:32 PM

THanks BadK and the rest of you.

Seems Katchina boat a lot of $ to graphics. Deadrise not enough for heavy chops. A 34' is actually like a 32.5 with out the platforms. So K's are pretty much out. I rather have a true 33+ with a hull that deeper, slower but actually faster in heavy seas.

See next post for boat choises coming up.
P