Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Magnum Marine Videos (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/173832-magnum-marine-videos.html)

Stormrider 04-10-2008 03:09 PM

Charlie, you know what was great about the 38... the cabin.
I was actually a classic layout, which made for great cruising.
If you still had your old boat, how would you want it rigged w/ todays power/drives options.

Top Banana 04-10-2008 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Stormrider (Post 2520639)
Charlie, you know what was great about the 38... the cabin.
I was actually a classic layout, which made for great cruising.
If you still had your old boat, how would you want it rigged w/ todays power/drives options.

I had them build my cabin differently. The head was down the whole port side. A big shower stall with seat and then the toilet and sink area.

Don let me get the special Italian stainless steel oval portholes and I only had two on each side rather than the four square ones.

He built one just like it that was deep navy blue and silver and had just a few options....very plain but very nice...with a very low windshield that looked like the 28SS windshield....but as ususal before he could take delivery of it....someone heard that it was "Don's boat" and it was sold...at a premium.

I agree with Richie by the way. I spent a weekend at Block Island and during the last night there, a storm came up that caused all the boats to start dragging anchor. I pulled mine and went into the ferry dock, tied up and waited until dawn.

When the sun came up, the winds were blowing stronger than ever. No problem, I headed out of the harbor into the ocean and back up the bay to my house...great ride.

If I still had the boat today....I would want Arneson drives for sure and big diesels...they have proven what works.

mjw930 04-10-2008 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by paolo100 (Post 2518617)
La Repubblica
23-09-07, page 53, section ECONOMY

It is the Aston Martin of the seas, founded by legendary Don Aronow
80% OF MAGNUM MARINE IS ACQUIRED BY SIX ITALIAN MANAGERS

GIORGIO LONARDI
Milan – Montezemolo had tried to make it. Not Confindustria Chairman Montezemolo, but his son Matteo with the Charme Fund. Than it was the turn of Paolo Vitelli, Chairman of Azimut: no way. Thumbs down also for Norberto Ferretti, number one of the ‘Made in Italy’ yachting. The reason for this was that Katrin Theodoli, Chairman of Magnum Marine, historical brand of the American luxury yachting, has never wanted to sell. Up to yesterday. Because now, the company, founded in Miami in 1966 by ingenious and adventurous designer Don Aronow, has found a new owner.
The Aston Martin’s of the sea, the fast, high performance boats that appear in the first series of Miami Vice, are namely about to be taken over by a group of six Italian managers working in the boating sector, lead by the Anglo-Italian entrepreneur Christian Tirabassi, with the assistance of a financial partner outside the sector. Their objective: to re-launch the Miami-based shipyard, famous all over the world for its elegant and fast boats (some models travel faster that 60 knots), by revitalizing the relationship with the most famous designers in the world (the group had a partnership with Pininfarina for several years) and significantly increasing the production up to 15 boats in 2008.
The operation, which has now been completely defined in the economic terms, must only be finalized. The agreed price for 80% of the company is of 20 million dollars, to be added to further 5 or 6 million for restructuring the Miami based shipyard and for marketing and communication activities. Katrin Theodoli will keep 20% of the company, as well as a key role in the relationship with the big customers and representing the brand both in the United States and in the rest of the world. Her son Giovanni Theodoli will keep on working in the company within the new managerial team.
The acquisition, carried out by Mr Tirabassi and the five managers currently working inside the top level yachting industry, on one side values the whole company at 25 million dollars, about twice as much as the previous offers. On the other side it lays stress on the restructuring of the productive side of the company, in order to be able to keep the brand alive and meet to the market demand.

So, an entirely Italian management. But the shipyard will remain well rooted in Miami, in its historical base. Also because the American image is vital for the success of Magnum Marine, a brand with the strength of a myth, but whose identity of producer of luxury open motoryachts from 44 to 80 feet in the high performance segment needs to be reinforced and reignited with life. Also by updating the existing model range.
Founded in 1966 by Aronow, whose life is described in the movie ‘The ThunderMan’, just presented in Cannes (Aronow was mysteriously killed in the Eighties in unknown circumstances), Magnum Marine was taken over in 1976 by Filippo Theodoli, who died in 1990. Since then, the company has been managed by his wife Katrin, up to the deal of these days. Katrin, as already mentioned, will maintain the guidance in the next few years, a strategic role in the re-launch of the brand.

Ah, not so fast.......

http://www.magnummarine.com/news/ima...age002_000.jpg

PhantomChaos 04-10-2008 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by getchasum111 (Post 2520548)
Phantom doesn't cut anyone any slack....do ya....

Of course I do! I'm just talkin some smack on a nice boat that I just don't like the styling on! You can't design something that EVERYONE will like! :D

PhantomChaos 04-10-2008 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Stormrider (Post 2520610)
No, looks are subjective...
I just think the mags are art on water... and NORTS wrong!!!:p

yep...nice boats...........but I still see the Seville! :D

liam 06-04-2008 03:37 AM

new to the board here

Magnum is the best builder ever
there was a nice 53 Maltese in Malta Grey hull with a rigid top, but not full hard top looked great

the 53 Maltese will remain one of the best best boats ever, her hull is in fact used for the 56, 60 Furio and 63 Pininfarina

Top Banana 06-05-2008 09:49 AM

HORBA has placed a rare photo on e-bay of Don Aronow setting new record for diesel powered boats with a Magnum.

It is on e-bay # 190226012092

It would be perfect for Magnum collector guys.