Notices

Turbo vs blower

Old 12-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe

turbo2256b who did you work for? I don't know what twin foot turbos are unless they are compounds?
Worked for Schwitzer did the air imprgment system for those tanks. Also did the turbos for them. Wish they were still in business they wold hire me back in a second
Old 12-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

turbo2256b,

I have not heard that name in many years. They were on Cummins truck engines years ago, correct? If not someone big used them, didn't they?
Old 12-04-2007, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love turbo's and think they are the way to go, but for the average guy the supercharger is much cleaner to install, look at the pipes in the JC pics. That spells nightmare to the average person.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:52 AM
Registered

I'll give my feelings again.

Turbos make a lot of power. Have throttled race boats with both blowers and turbos in open ocean racing. I feel you can not match the response of the blower engines.

Watch a tape of the old Gancia dei Gancia running like in Cowes in the rough. The throttleman (Buzzi or Stefano) will always be pumping the throttles like crazy when the proprs are in the air.

Why, you ask? When you unload the engine (props get air) the govenors automatically pull the rack into a low fuel position - no fuel, no heat, no boost. Second when you pull the throttles back because you don't want to over rev the engines when you see air, you loose fuel - which looses heat and looses boost.

By pumping the throttles like crazy when in the air you keep bumping the injection pump to "Full Throttle". All those little bursts keep the engine burning fuel, keeps some heat and some boost so when you re-enter the water the engines don't just die.

Like those engines that JC put up there, I'm sure the power they make is insane, but I doubt they can be throttled as efficent as a blower engines. Also, all that pumping bouncing up & down is sure to break or leak after some time.

I'll sound real old here, but look at the pics everyone posts of how Offshore Racing was back in the day. It was rough sometimes, big swells (AC '89), lots of hardware hanging on an engine spells trouble. Remember why racing is the way it is today,
- something for spectators to see from land
- the hope that it can be covered on TV like a car race
- to control the costs so there are more boats

I'm glad to see P-1 in Europe it's open ocean racing, that's why I was drawn to the sport age a young boy - that flying from wave to wave, running to turn bouys miles away with a compass and a chart, endurance, etc, etc.

That's me, what can I say!
Old 12-04-2007, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by excalibur32
I love turbo's and think they are the way to go, but for the average guy the supercharger is much cleaner to install, look at the pipes in the JC pics. That spells nightmare to the average person.
Some of the system's are getting cleaner with time.
The picture's JC posted are a quad turbo hence double the plumbing. I attached some pictures of some of the engines Tommy at Chief Engines built. The components for this Turbo system were designed by Tom Gentry. Since his passing Carson Brummett has aquired all the tooling to keep producing these component's.

Jon
Attached Thumbnails Turbo vs blower-chiefturbos1.jpg   Turbo vs blower-chiefturbos2.jpg   Turbo vs blower-chiefturbos5.jpg  

Old 12-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

couple more
Attached Thumbnails Turbo vs blower-chiefturbos7.jpg   Turbo vs blower-chiefturbos8.jpg   Turbo vs blower-1800h20chiefturbo.jpg  

Old 12-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Registered

Some really nice iron - thank you! Remember Charlie Marks with Erics Reality? That boat was so big, so powerful that Bobby Moore didn't even have to run those engines, they were almost idleing!!!!

I lived in a different world then most of you, I started on gas engines and then moved to diesel for a simple reason. In the old days if 30% of the boats finished a race you were doing good. I remember getting trophies not because we were fast but we finished!!!!

I watched all those Euro boats with their big diesels and thought this is the way to go! We had a large coast to coast trucking company then and our trucks averaged 240,000 miles a year each. I went to school for engineering because I loved mechanical things and wanted to understand how to run ur trucks better - every .005 cents a mile was big money in our pockets.

Cummins, Spicer, Eaton, Holset, Navistar all used us for testing equipment because no trucking company, fleet wise could match us in miles per year, per truck. Once we started playing with making hot rod diesels these companies threw parts, engines, etc at us just to test. We became very tight with them and we exchanged many things - well mostly giving them broken parts back. That lead to other things and so on.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Registered

My buddy is coming out w/ a new turbo kit for 03-04 mustangs. It's a twin turbo setup blowing thru the eaton supercharger. It simplifies everything, low end of supercharger w/ big hp of turbos. He has allready put one on his personal car & it is insane power !!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We did turbos for most all of the truck market, heavy equipment, gen sets etc. I started in on the Indy engines. My first contribution was the idea and design of the first adjustable waist gate used in the 500. I was 18 years old at the time.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Registered

Carson Brummet has nice equipment and I have spoken with him many times a very nice man, he has smallblock kits too!

Quick Reply: Turbo vs blower

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.