Notices

Turbo vs blower

Old 11-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a turbo charged engine in a boat for the last 30 year except for the last 3. My turbo motors with waste gates would go to max boost (I had set for 10lbs) just off idle. The neat thing about turbos with wastegates is I could dial in the amount of boost I wanted, from min. of 5 to max of 15, just by turning a dial on my dash.
My procharged motor will not go to max boost until max rpm.

As to why Mercury not doing it, I think the cost and complexity, and peoples fear of them is why.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
What is it that so many have missed in turbo application that you were able to discover & apply to your setups.
Banks systems were out before electronic efi. Banks also did not have big enough intercooler compared to todays. The reason the Banks system did not make bigger HP numbers is the exhaust. Have not looked close at the Gentry system in person so do not know anything about that system.

I have 2 friends that bought similar boats back in the early 80's one went the Gale Banks 800HP setup, Other went the roots blower setup. After a few years and a few motors the roots blower guy went Turbos.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT
Turbos are superior to any other forced induction engine period.
so I'm not crazy after all? well about the turbos anyway?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I've always understood that turbochargers are much better for the engine than superchargers.
How much horsepower can you get out of a reliable turbocharged small block marine engine?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:50 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
FACT!!!!!!!!!!!You have to have a load on the engine to make any significant boost on a roots blower.

Rev a roots blower engine slowly up to 5000rpms in neutral and see how much boost you make. Very little, if any.

Now put it in gear and mash the throttle. You'll be very near max boost by 2000rpms and stay there all the way to max rpm.
This is correct, boost is proportional to load, not RPM.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Registered

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 11-25-2007 at 09:58 PM. Reason: forgot to put the quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
How much horsepower can you get out of a reliable turbocharged small block marine engine?

23' headed conventional engine around 750 hp reliable
SB2 headed conventional engine around 900 hp reliable
LS1 style engine around 1000 hp reliable

which one do you want?
Old 11-25-2007, 10:15 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by turbo2256b
Turbo's kick A$$.
Worked for Schwitzer for 10 some years in advance turbo design. Perty much fathered the first successful turbine end variable geometry turbo. Also designed the safest and most sofisticated stationary test and burst test equipment.
The variable vane stuff is cool. The technology (VGT's and modern EFI systems) hasn't really been around until recently, making it now possible to build user friendly turbo aps. The VGT's and EFI systems now available allow for the boost output of the turbo's to be controlled much more easily, making them easier to use at low RPM settings, as well as getting on and off the throttle.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:17 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Didn't Mercury have quad turbo's on the kilo cig a few years ago? Chief is using turbo's, BYC has some killer pieces as well.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:18 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4mYHGLAXY0

Nice exhuast by the way. How have they been working? Did you get the pressure pop-off's on your sea strainer?

Quick Reply: Turbo vs blower

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.