Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Why do we pay highway tax for gas in our Boats? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/173992-why-do-we-pay-highway-tax-gas-our-boats.html)

BY U BOY 11-25-2007 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Turbojack (Post 2347710)
You might want to recheck into that. I believe Texas does refund tax money.

I'll do that.

Phastenuf 11-25-2007 11:35 PM

Texas does refund tax. I have filed for it in the past. One year it was easy, the next they wanted more info, log, receipts, etc. and took almost 3 months to get. You can choose whatever 12 month period you want, it doesn't need to be a Jan - Dec. calendar year. It is about 25 or 30 cents per gal you get back.

Edward R. Cozzi 11-26-2007 07:58 AM

I figured the road use tax we pay at the marina was for the truck that used the road to get it to the marina.

Panther 11-26-2007 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by McGary911 (Post 2347736)
I believe that in NJ, if you buy at the gas dock, tax is not added to the pump price, so you're getting raped even more than you thought......what's gas tax in NJ these days? 12.5 cents?

I'm under that impression as well.... Even ran into a situation a while back where a marina had a pump up on land....they shut that pump down because they would be required to pay road tax if the pump was located on land.

The tanks can be on land but I believe the pump has to be on the dock....

So basically, we're paying 15% more on the water but in reality it's probably more like 30% with the tax not being taken by the state...:eek:

Oh yeah....I heard that NJ wants to impose a "property tax" ....on our boats/RV's... :mad:

Griswald 11-26-2007 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Phastenuf (Post 2347936)
Texas does refund tax. I have filed for it in the past. One year it was easy, the next they wanted more info, log, receipts, etc. and took almost 3 months to get. You can choose whatever 12 month period you want, it doesn't need to be a Jan - Dec. calendar year. It is about 25 or 30 cents per gal you get back.

Do you remember what forms are needed?

styles 11-26-2007 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi (Post 2348062)
I figured the road use tax we pay at the marina was for the truck that used the road to get it to the marina.

now thats funny

Jigsaw89 11-26-2007 11:47 AM

I didn't fill my boat at a marina once this summer... highway gas 100% as it proved to be cost effective and allowed me peace of mind in knowing that I was getting fresh(er) fuel.

According to the chart posted on page1 of this thread, NJ state gas tax is third lowest at 10.5 cents per gallon with mandatory full service stations (for insurance purposes). Alaska is cheapest at 8.0 cents per gallon probably due to the oil pipeline that runs through the state and Wyoming at 9.0 cents per gallon. Connecticut takes the prize for raping it's travelers at 36.0 cents per gallon.

Panther 11-26-2007 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jigsaw89 (Post 2348306)
According to the chart posted on page1 of this thread, NJ state gas tax is third lowest at 10.5 cents per gallon with mandatory full service stations (for insurance purposes).

It's all good....they just make it up by charging us fifty cents on the parkway every couple miles, $7 at most bridges and lord knows what on the NJ Turpike. :drink:

PJDiesel 11-26-2007 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jigsaw89 (Post 2348306)
I didn't fill my boat at a marina once this summer... highway gas 100% as it proved to be cost effective and allowed me peace of mind in knowing that I was getting fresh(er) fuel.

Same here brother, so far I've had NO need to fill up at a marina.

Jigsaw89 11-26-2007 04:13 PM

You're not kidding. I just saw on the news that Gov. Corzine is putting a plan together to raise the parkway & other tolls to help reduce the state's deficit. It never ends...

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 2348364)
It's all good....they just make it up by charging us fifty cents on the parkway every couple miles, $7 at most bridges and lord knows what on the NJ Turpike. :drink: