Notices

Dealings with Cobra Power

Old 11-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealings with Cobra Power

I wanted to write this post to make people aware of my dealings with Cobra Power. My experience was both good and bad, and I'm just going to state the facts.

- I bought what was advertised as a new Dart Big M block from an CobraPower Ebay listing.
- I paid $1725+shipping for the block (A very good price)
- The block came as promised and I picked it up at the loading dock
- I took the block to my Engine Builder for machining
- Engine Builder noticed 2 things that didn't seem right
1. The label from the Dart Box didn't seem to match the #'s on the block
2. The block already had cam bearings installed
- Engine Builder did some checking with his Dart warehouse contact, and the information he got back was that this block was 2-3 years old and had been sold to Cobra Power as part of a big shipment of blemished blocks that were ordered to fulfill a large order of engines. For some reason, Cobra Power did not use the blocks and was selling them off.
- My Engine Builder was told by his Dart contact that Dart would not sell any structurally deficient blemished blocks, they would only sell cosmetically blemished blocks.
- My Engine Builder says that he can see some spots on the block that he would consider as cosmetically blemished but he says that the block checks out fine mechanically.
- I called Cobra Power and asked them about this. I was told that Randy would call me. I was quickly called back by Randy ( I assume he is the owner) and he gave me quite a song and dance about how good the block was. He told me the real story was that Dart got the shipment of blocks in and they were supposed to be 10.2 Deck Height but Dart shipped them 9.8 Deck Height. Instead of shipping them back, Dart told them to get what $$ they could for the blocks and then Dart would reimburse them for the $$ they lost by selling them.
- Randy did offer to give me my money back
- Due to the hassle of shipping a block back and because of the confidence that my Engine Builder has with the structural integrity of the block, I decided to pass on Randy's offer of a return and keep the block.

So, to wrap up the story, Cobra Power has some Dart Big M's for sale at a great price, but they are most likely cosmetically blemished blocks.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by IHTFP
I wanted to write this post to make people aware of my dealings with Cobra Power. My experience was both good and bad, and I'm just going to state the facts.

- I bought what was advertised as a new Dart Big M block from an CobraPower Ebay listing.
- I paid $1725+shipping for the block (A very good price)
- The block came as promised and I picked it up at the loading dock
- I took the block to my Engine Builder for machining
- Engine Builder noticed 2 things that didn't seem right
1. The label from the Dart Box didn't seem to match the #'s on the block
2. The block already had cam bearings installed
- Engine Builder did some checking with his Dart warehouse contact, and the information he got back was that this block was 2-3 years old and had been sold to Cobra Power as part of a big shipment of blemished blocks that were ordered to fulfill a large order of engines. For some reason, Cobra Power did not use the blocks and was selling them off.
- My Engine Builder was told by his Dart contact that Dart would not sell any structurally deficient blemished blocks, they would only sell cosmetically blemished blocks.
- My Engine Builder says that he can see some spots on the block that he would consider as cosmetically blemished but he says that the block checks out fine mechanically.
- I called Cobra Power and asked them about this. I was told that Randy would call me. I was quickly called back by Randy ( I assume he is the owner) and he gave me quite a song and dance about how good the block was. He told me the real story was that Dart got the shipment of blocks in and they were supposed to be 10.2 Deck Height but Dart shipped them 9.8 Deck Height. Instead of shipping them back, Dart told them to get what $$ they could for the blocks and then Dart would reimburse them for the $$ they lost by selling them.
- Randy did offer to give me my money back
- Due to the hassle of shipping a block back and because of the confidence that my Engine Builder has with the structural integrity of the block, I decided to pass on Randy's offer of a return and keep the block.

So, to wrap up the story, Cobra Power has some Dart Big M's for sale at a great price, but they are most likely cosmetically blemished blocks.

Personally, I think this is a very informative post. Straight facts. You find out a little more about the blocks being sold, but you also find out that if you are not happy that Cobra will refund your money. Gives Cobra a lot of credibility in my book, but also explains why you're getting the good deal on the blocks with no surprises.

Last edited by JROMY; 11-29-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

thats great of randy to offer your money back......very admirable
Old 11-29-2007, 07:16 AM
Registered

Yes but it seems to me they should at least tell you it is a blem, and then when you price it against other companies not selling blems you can see how great of a deal it really is. If it's good it's good, but you should still know.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only had one dealing with them and it was pleasant. Had an engine explode ( well almost) in our old BT. Removed it, shipped it to them, received estimate to repair, talked it over with Randy as to what really needed to be done, gave OK, received engine back on time, reinstalled, ran great, got rid of boat.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Registered

I have dealt with Randy on several occasions. I consider him one of the most straight forward and honest guys in the boat industry! He believes in what he sells and stands behind it!
Old 11-29-2007, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up More help needed - Apply Here!

As an engine builder parts manufacturer and fellow OSO'er here at Raylar it is always great to hear about the quality people in this industry! I am glad that this story turned out good for the buyer and I believe the information here was factual and fair. I admire Randy for being an honest hard working guy and his reputation speaks volumes about the quality his company Cobra Power was built on!
As for blems on blocks that do not affect the reliability of the new motor, I can't count all the cosmetic blem blocks I've seen, in fact I have a hard time remembering a block that did not have some sort of cosmetic imperfection!
"Beauty is only skin deep"!

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 11-29-2007, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Randy has done engines for both of my Apaches, and is a stand-up guy, and delivers a good product. Even got a new motor installed overnight in Marathon after one blew the day before the race. Worked all night.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Registered

My dealings with cobra have been first class, Randy made sure my boat was done on time and the job was perfect. He did both my engines and drives and with first class rigging and workmanship. I live in NJ and after trying some shady builders in my area, its well worth the trip taking it to someone who knows what there doing. My boat has been running flawless since!
Old 11-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hear that he has a ton of motors just ready to drop in. I am not talking just small power I am talking BIG power. That is impressive to have that kind of money tied up in stock like that!! VERY COOL

Quick Reply: Dealings with Cobra Power

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.