Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Can A Legit "Trick" survive the competition? >

Can A Legit "Trick" survive the competition?

Notices

Can A Legit "Trick" survive the competition?

Old 11-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
If you want to operate at low margine you have to move a LOT of boxes. You have to move those boxes so effeciently that NO mistakes are made. You can not send out the wrong product then be stuck over nighting a piece as you not only loose your profit from that one sale but you loose profit on a lot of others for just that one 50 buck mistake. It can be done but only by certain people that are well funded
Yep, it's not an easy thing to pull off, but it can be done.
You must be absolutely METICULOUS on every detail, and make no mistakes.
And, put some monies aside for when you do make that very rare inevitable mistake.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If "legit" means selling products at prices so low that they can't cover the seller's operating costs, uh, no. To call Trick's way of operating a "business model" (as someone called it in another thread) is generous at best. A failure model, yes, but a business model? Not so much.

And I don't even know stecz20, but I am reasonably sure he is Mr. Wonderful. Why the hell not? He sure doesn't seem like anyone I'd want to argue with.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by whatabout1
Just wait until Summit and Jegs get into the biz !!!

Oh wait, Summit is showing more and more marine parts every week.
Summit published a sizable marine catalog a few years ago. I don't believe they made it to their second.

They are an absolute class act and a model of customer service. I think it was just too "small potatoes" for them.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Banned

The motto of my business is simple. It's on our shirts.
QVS.
Quality, Value, Service

The Quality is supplying a good product.
The Value is giving a good, but competetive price
And the Service is self explanatory.

Of these three things, THE most important is the service.

For instance, I could do a perfect tile job, at a great price, but if I leave a mess when I'm done, wanna guess what they will remember? And be assured, they'll tell everyone they know.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cuda

Of these three things, THE most important is the service.

For instance, I could do a perfect tile job, at a great price, but if I leave a mess when I'm done, wanna guess what they will remember? And be assured, they'll tell everyone they know.
Amen Cuda!

Do a perfect job on a boat, but even leave a towel behind and they will remember. That's one of the first issues I teach new employees. Pay attention before, during and after and then go over it again.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Registered

Audiofn makes one of the best points in this thread: In a high-volume business, the margin for error (shipping, order precision, etc.) is slim to nonexistent. Do you remember how many threads regarding Trick had something like, "I had a problem, but Fred made it right?"

The owner of a business taking care of each and every problem personally sounds like great customer service, but in a high-volume business that just can't happen.

Look at McDonalds. I'm not a fan of the food, but the consistency of it, how often they get it right (yes, everyone has a "got the order wrong story," but they are are the exception) is amazing. It's the key to their success, because if McDonalds had to constantly stop, remake the order, maybe even get the owner (s) involved, it would not have been able to serve billions.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 100-Plus

Look at McDonalds. I'm not a fan of the food, but the consistency of it, how often they get it right (yes, everyone has a "got the order wrong story," but they are are the exception) is amazing. It's the key to their success, because if McDonalds had to constantly stop, remake the order, maybe even get the owner (s) involved, it would not have been able to serve billions.
My first job was at Red Lobster when I was 16. I remember one of their edicts was, "There is no quality, without consistency".
Old 12-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Can legit OSO members survive all this Trick BS? I guess not.
Trick is old news. Everyone got it, seen it.. hopefully learned something. Time to move on..
Old 12-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin

They are an absolute class act and a model of customer service. I think it was just too "small potatoes" for them.
I agree. Everytime I have ordered from them, I got the package ahead of schedule. I even got one the same day I ordered!
Old 12-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 'wal-mart' type of business model has no business being in the Marine industry. Wal-Mart sucks today and Wal-Mart will suck tomorrow. Lets get away from 'Trick' threads altogether and move on.

Quick Reply: Can A Legit "Trick" survive the competition?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.