Speed differance between salt & fresh water >

Speed differance between salt & fresh water

Notices

Speed differance between salt & fresh water

Old 12-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed differance between salt & fresh water

Whats everyones opinion on the speed differance between the two if there is. I realize that the boat in salt water is more boyant and there for dosent set as deep in the water. What about reproping. Is there a differance in the best set ups for the differance due to slippage.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Poker Runs America conducted a fairly in depth study of this very issue a few years ago. The difference was basically nil. Something to the affect that salt was more dense so the boat sits a bit higher but works more to turn the prop and vice versa for fresh. A good article if you can get your hands on an old issue. I actually contacted PRA to see if I could get a reprint but they never responded
Old 12-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy
The difference was basically nil.
Pretty much everything I have heard on the differences as well.

I do know my Spectre ran better overall in the salt because of the cool dense sea level air versus running in 120 degree air in Phoenix in the summer time at 1600' above sea level.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by jordy
Pretty much everything I have heard on the differences as well.

I do know my Spectre ran better overall in the salt because of the cool dense sea level air versus running in 120 degree air in Phoenix in the summer time at 1600' above sea level.

I kinda remember the same thing too, they said that atmospheric conditions will affect speed the most.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Registered

My Powerplay runs way faster on fresh water.....because the only time it's in fresh water is in October when the air temp is about 40 degrees....
Old 12-04-2007, 05:54 PM
BRD
Registered

Bull **** !

3 MPH on my Concept consistently in the Gulf !
Old 12-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

if ya have a boat that is old school (meaning conventinal vee) the boat in salt might be a mile or two an hour faster considering the drive is on a extension box and in cleaner water......With new hull technology i dont think it matters the steps, the tunnels they air out so well i dont think you would notice a difference.......Most of the new hulls are designed to be almost all aired out so the bouancy factor really doesnt come in to play..............IMHO.............Then again i am a stupid construction worker, with a crazy passion for boats.............Thanks , if ya disagree post please,Because i am at the computer and i have almost a 12 pack of coors in my fridge.............

Hit this link.........this is as aired out in fresh water i can get a convential vee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwnG3DJ3TJk
Old 12-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Registered

Grab a Coors and answer me this then. I have a 12 meter Fountain (Yes I said the F word) and you mentioned old tech and boxes. My boat is naturally asperated and I hope in the 750 HP range per and it runs 82 in fresh water (Radar) and ran 86 (GPS) in salt. I realize the differance in sea level and temps. I have #3's and no boxes. Do you think boxes would speed it up at that speed or are they more effective at lower speeds when you have more boat in the water. If your not running on where the steps are what good are they anyways. Where would you put your money to make this a 90 mph boat in fresh water. I want to keep it naturally asperated.

Last edited by dwtinc; 12-04-2007 at 06:18 PM. Reason: spell
Old 12-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

IMHO,( you always have to say that here..........)

I would think bblades prop work and maybe boxes, who did your props........By the way fountains are fast.....

4 mph in salt is not a lot to ask, But a honest 8 in fresh is
Old 12-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Registered

Props was on the boat when I bought it and thought it was the last thing to change after you made all others. I agree with prop work helping but only want to go through that change and figuring the best combination out once.

Quick Reply: Speed differance between salt & fresh water

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.