Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New marine diesel engine (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/174617-new-marine-diesel-engine.html)

29Firefox 12-25-2008 07:31 AM

Rotflmfaoay

Originally Posted by 40FlatDeck (Post 2764819)
Lighten up...........me??

I am all for people trying to make something better.

Donger.........

Genius the donger is 2 hours ahead of you I'm 14 hours ahead of you. The donger sells used cars, I install, upkeep and repair marine diesels. But the real funny thing is every minute you live has already been used by me and also the donger not to mention a few million asians and europeans:evilb::evilb::evilb:

MikeyFIN 12-25-2008 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by 40FlatDeck (Post 2764763)
Jesus you guys are negative.....

They are trying to build a better diesel, thats it.

They did not come on here saying they could break speed records, make pigs fly, build a Aplha drive to hold a ton of power, etc,etc....:evilb:

Why can't people just say, "Looks good man, post some more info along the way"

Negative f*cks all of you.

Lets then say Iīm a pessimist until I see something new and not IMO borrowed.

Regarding Alublocks. Thats nothing new and not is iron sleeving a alublock either.
Not even a alublock with wet liners or a wet monoblock.
All that has been around over 50yrs.
The last new thing for diesels has been the commonrail and even that patent is more than a 15 yrs old Alfa-Romeo patent sold to Bosch.
Now if Alfa Romeo would get their head in making a high perf diesel...well that would be something.
That would meen Alfa getīs free hands on the project from the main owner.
I mean thereīs a companyh who has a reputation of doing everything in overkill when you donīt hold the engineers back a little...
Crazy Race-engineers there tied to do ordinary jobs...

MikeyFIN 12-25-2008 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by aquafun (Post 2764649)
So when do you hope to bag an Audi unit ... anyhow they only ran or so I thought around 650hpish at Le Mans from the 6ltr block so how you going to squeeze 750 out it and in the road car 500hp for reliability that to me seems like a 550hpish boat race engine and it fits in a incy mid engine bay R8 car ... defo one future engine to keep an eye on

How do one get 750 out of the Audi V12 diesel ?
By throwing the catalysator (particulate filter) and Restrictors away and turn down it 250+hp from what itīs capable of.
Still it weighs the same as a Mercruiser 1075/1200 and is a bit SHORTER ( the same as a SBC +.4 inch) but destroys SSM6īs for breakfast.:evilb:

When do one get hands on a V12 Tdi..hopefully someday...
We didnīt get the FIA GT3 Audi R8 racecar either for 2009 but maybe 2010.

timbillyosu 12-29-2008 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by 40FlatDeck (Post 2764763)
Jesus you guys are negative.....

They are trying to build a better diesel, thats it.

They did not come on here saying they could break speed records, make pigs fly, build a Aplha drive to hold a ton of power, etc,etc....:evilb:

Why can't people just say, "Looks good man, post some more info along the way"

Negative f*cks all of you.

Thanks for sticking up for me 40, but I do see where they are coming from on some of it. Just like everyone else we talk to, no one wants to believe we can do this because it is new. Most people are afraid of change.

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 2764815)
40flatdeck -
timbillyosu -
How long have you been with these guys?

I've been here since June of '07. The project has been going on since Spring of '03.

HabanaJoe 12-29-2008 10:27 AM

Timbillyosu,

Thanks for taking your shots at me, I deserve it. I for one don't think the reasons you can't do this is because it is new or I'm afraid of change - I never said you can't do it. If you read anything on here about me or ask anyone here that knew me back when - I am not afraid of change, I pushed for change.

When you make statements like this:

"We had it running the other day for about an hour at around 2000 rpm without any problems. We need to do a little more work to get our dyno fully-functional but things are going good."

I have to question the project, you say your at this for 6 years now and the dyno's not fully functional, you need to raise capital and after that it's another 2 years, so of course we're skeptical. We all dream and unfortunatly most dreams don't materialize the way we planned.

Since all your doing is talking which I do lots of myself, I appologize for taking it more serious than you intended for it to be.

I wish you luck and keep us informed and I'll be quite (but only about this one - LOL).

Joe Gere

ps I understand what BSFC is I thought maybe others don't know what 0.35 represents and lbs/Hp Hr just puts it into a user freindly representation.

enough, not another word!!!

timbillyosu 12-31-2008 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 2766811)
Timbillyosu,

Thanks for taking your shots at me, I deserve it. I for one don't think the reasons you can't do this is because it is new or I'm afraid of change - I never said you can't do it. If you read anything on here about me or ask anyone here that knew me back when - I am not afraid of change, I pushed for change.

When you make statements like this:

"We had it running the other day for about an hour at around 2000 rpm without any problems. We need to do a little more work to get our dyno fully-functional but things are going good."

I have to question the project, you say your at this for 6 years now and the dyno's not fully functional, you need to raise capital and after that it's another 2 years, so of course we're skeptical. We all dream and unfortunatly most dreams don't materialize the way we planned.

Joe, I did not mean for you to be silent, I do appreciate the criticism. And looking back on it, you are right.

The dyno thing was actually caused by a lightning strike. It had fried the connectors and we didn't realize it until we were trying to run things ( the dyno had sat unused for a while since we were focused on machining and such)

Skepticism is something we've come to accept (and partially thrive on). In the time that I've been here, we have made leaps and bounds of progress. I feel I didn't fully explain the timeline that we were on when I said 6 years.

My boss, Mike Buck, started a project to improve other engines 6 years ago. He had originally planned to update New Holland tractor engines. He worked on this for about 3 years but then was finally unable to get a deal struck with New Holland to provide just the components we needed (they wanted to sell us entire engines). So he took what he learned from modifying the New Holland engines and set about designing his own.

After a year or so of R&D work and filing patents, we begin machining components to create this new "Buck Marine Diesel" engine. In the past 2 years, we have gone from the design concept to a running engine. There are still some tweaks and improvements that need to be made here and there, but we feel that the overall design is solid.

I hope this clears things up a lot better than I did before :)

Please keep the questions (and criticism :)) coming!!!!!

HabanaJoe 12-31-2008 12:31 PM

Your in NC, right?

End of March we start fishing in Nags Head again, I'll come and visit you guys!!!!

One serious question, what market are you trying to go after?

You made reference to making a "performance" product or is that just and after thought since you guys think there might be some kind of niche there?

One tech question, what are you doing for pistions? All alum, steel tops, steel buttons.

Do they have an oil channel in the piston or just splash from the nozzles?

Thanks,
Joe Gere

29Firefox 01-03-2009 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 2768207)
Your in NC, right?

End of March we start fishing in Nags Head again, I'll come and visit you guys!!!!

You made reference to making a "performance" product or is that just and after thought since you guys think there might be some kind of niche there?

One tech question, what are you doing for pistions? All alum, steel tops, steel buttons.

Thanks,
Joe Gere

Don't forget ALL STEEL!:drink:

MikeyFIN 01-03-2009 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by 29Firefox (Post 2769627)
Don't forget ALL STEEL!:drink:

Days for those are gone unless you use heavy heating oil, preheated...and no more than 400 rpm...:eek:

timbillyosu 01-05-2009 12:15 PM

Your in NC, right?

We'd LOVE to have you stop by. We're about 2 and a half hours from Nags Head.

We don't really have a specific market. This engine can be configured in several different ways making it pretty versatile. Virtually any boat that requires a diesel engine between 150 and 650 hp could be our potential market I suppose.

The pistons are Alum with steel grooves for the rings.

The oiling of the cylinder is confidential for now. We are developing a new type of process for that which I cannot divulge at this time.