Best Intercom System for around $1000

Notices

Best Intercom System for around $1000

Old 09-16-2013, 04:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maritime_Eng
Hello All-

So I am looking for an intercom system for the boat. I have seen many different companys that offer the 4 person intercom systems that allow you to talk and listen to radio, VHF, ect.

What is the best intercom system for around $1000?
How does this one rate? What are the pros and cons?
http://marineradiodirect.com/catalog...em-p-1012.html

Thanks
Don
Hello ! please used Dual Mode Telephone Intercom system this price is less then $1000. and good for
Old 09-18-2013, 05:39 AM
Registered

Hello ! please used Dual Mode Telephone Intercom system this price is less then $1000. and good for boat.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 4,315 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Thumbs up

I have http://www.comzilla.com/

Tom is great to work with and will design a custom system for ya.. I wanted a switch so I could turn off the rear headsets (my kids) but they could still hear each other.
System was less than $1500. No problems and its one of the best additions to the boat.

Heres some info he sent me:

While I know the owner and the guys over at ****** and they are all good guys, we really aren't comparing apples to apples between our system and theirs. Our systems are built to customer specifications by hand in small batches here in the US. The rugged system you are looking at is a mass produced item from China or Korea. The system you are looking at there is actually their least costly configuration with the headsets shown, so I don't think it would get much cheaper even with over the head headsets, but I could be wrong. With that said, it would be difficult for me to get our pricing under $1,000 for a complete system with headsets as you describe. Roughly, we would be in the $1,450 ballpark for one of our systems.

Now for the justification. Besides being hand built in the USA, our systems are built to out live the vehicles they put in. We have been doing this for 30 plus years and many of our systems have been in use 15 years or more in specific off shore boats and off road trucks without issue. Internally we build our systems with two independent power supplies, where others do not. We hard wire all cabling off the board out of the box where others use plug in cables. Each cable has a connector with 4 solder joints per connector, per side. Adding in the 2 connectors and the 8 solder joints, you increase possible failures by 10 times. We do not use VOX at all. Our systems are live continuous. VOX needs to be adjusted based on the increased noise environment. At idle you set it at one level, at speed another, and so on. If you set it too tight, your first word can be clipped. If that first word is turn or stop, it could be costly. Besides becoming a pointless feature, I primarily mention the VOX topic as you say you want something simple. Simple is what we believe in. Once our intercom is mounted, it has power, cables are run, and headsets are plugged in, you are talking live continuous. Those are just some of the reasons our intercom is set apart from others.

In regard to the headsets, we are all pretty much using the same ones. The only thing I do different from others is use a genuine military grade mic. Others are using copies of such a mic. If after reading this you would like a detailed quote, please let me know. By all means I would love to build you a system, but if budget is a concern, we might not be the right fit for your needs. I can say if you do have a system built by us, if it is taken care of, it is likely to provide you with many years of enjoyment.

Please let me know if you would like to talk on the phone to discuss further or if a detailed quote is needed. I would of course extend a discount for being referred by a previous customer.

[email protected]

Old 09-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had quite a few intercom systems and the only one that I loved was Tiger performance. The others had static, interference, high pitched wining, annoying delay. As soon are you have these issues, you no longer want to use them. Sometimes you have to spend a little more to get something 100% better.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:50 AM
Registered

Hello ! please used Dual Mode Telephone Intercom system this price is less then $1000. and good for boat.