Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   GPS units? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/174993-gps-units.html)

boatfreak 12-09-2007 01:28 PM

GPS units?

I'm looking for a GPS unit for my A.T. and just thought I would ask for some opinions. I would like a mid-size unit, in the 6-8 inch range, but I also would like to keep the price under $1500.
Is anybody here running a Garmin 2206?

scottc 12-09-2007 01:39 PM

Anything Garmin is a good choise. I have an old 182c and love it. Also some others by them, the 60csx for the trails and a street pilot lll for the cars and motorhome. Just decide on what features you like and go for it. You can also call their tech line and really talk to a person!!!!

The Menace 12-09-2007 01:39 PM

Garmin, Garmin, Garmin.

Depending on what part of Indiana you are located, there is a Garmin store on Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago. They have functional GPS's on display for automotive, nautical and Airplane applications. Over the years Garmin has certainly increased the detail and the amount of information available on a GPS but it has kept the ease of operation and maintained similarity between the function keys of all units.

There is some very nice functional product under $1500.00.

I just installed a new 496 in the plane so I had XM radio and real time weather while flying. It is portable and also hooks up on th boat and the car.

I use the 182C's in two boats and also have a 430 and 530 in he plane.

The Menace 12-09-2007 01:42 PM

You can still pick up some new 182C's on E-bay etc. The chips are still available at West Marine. The 182 is a great inexpensive unit. I have seen them for as low as $300.00 up to $400 on E-bay with all the adapters.

Trojan-man 12-09-2007 06:52 PM

What about Garmins 440s ?? Anybody got any info on performance and/or how it compares with a 182 ??

thanks --TM

camptappakeg69 12-09-2007 09:53 PM

Got the garmin 545 for mine last summer and love it, 5" screen and xm capable to overlay weather right on the screen , probably get the g chip for it next year. Didn't hook up the xm yet but that's next year also.

VetteLT193 12-10-2007 06:55 AM

On a similar note, is there anything good for less money? I'd rather not drop $1000+ on a GPS unit for the boat I have now, I'll never get it back in resale. I want something that I can flush mount and that will last. Seems like I'm asking for a dream product so I've been leaning towards handhelds

Ryan8886 12-10-2007 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by VetteLT193 (Post 2365787)
On a similar note, is there anything good for less money? I'd rather not drop $1000+ on a GPS unit for the boat I have now, I'll never get it back in resale. I want something that I can flush mount and that will last. Seems like I'm asking for a dream product so I've been leaning towards handhelds

Scrounge the web and there are deals to be had. I just bought a new Garmin 276C on overstock.com a couple weeks ago. With the extra discount from couponcabin.com, the total was about $420.00 shipped. Not sure if you can flush mount that unit or not though.

fabricator 12-10-2007 11:38 AM

curious

I see several references to Garmin here. What about Raymarine - why or why not? Pros and cons. I have a Lowrance on my boat, it works fine, but always want to learn more about what's out there.

chuckbeecher 12-10-2007 03:45 PM

We had the 2206 in the Glasstream..did not like it in any sunlight.
The 196 or some 190 series has all the bluechips built in and covers the whole U.S. and i believe part of the Bahamas. They were less than a grand at West Marine.
crb76 Northstar is GREAT in his 37. Love the fact you can feed the fuel and engine info into it from SmartCraft harness.