Notices

Exhaust Tip Change

Old 12-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Exhaust Tip Change

Thinking of switching out the original rubber hose exhaust tips (with rubber flappers) for some 4" stainless angle tips. How hard is this to do?? The stainless tips mount with screws into the transom...the stock just run right through with the flappers clamped on. I'm new to boats and not very mechanical. Based on the pics below, can anyone tell me what I would need to do and how to do it? The boat runs Silent Choice if that makes a difference.
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Tip Change-dominator1.jpg   Exhaust Tip Change-dominator3.jpg  

Last edited by Ryan8886; 12-10-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a thin putty knife and take some time working around the flange while not damaging the gelcoat. Once thats done use a twisting motion to loosen it up and pull them out.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Charter Member #928
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have flexible tubing now, you better check the alignment of the cut outs on the transom first. If they are off a little you might have to glass those in to get a correct fit. You won't notice it as much now with 18" of flex pipe. Just a thought.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wigginout
You have flexible tubing now, you better check the alignment of the cut outs on the transom first. If they are off a little you might have to glass those in to get a correct fit. You won't notice it as much now with 18" of flex pipe. Just a thought.
The center section is stainless steel (part of the Silent Choice). So it's not 18" of flex pipe...just the two ends on either side of the pipe. Alignment still an issue or not??
Old 12-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Playn
get a thin putty knife and take some time working around the flange while not damaging the gelcoat. Once thats done use a twisting motion to loosen it up and pull them out.
So once I work it loose from the outside and undo the clamps from the end of the silent choice, that whole back section of felx tube will pull right out?? Or is there something else connecting it through the transom?? I guess my question is this (again...sorry if i sound stupid...never been around this stuff before)....Is the flex tube coming out of the transom the same piece that's attached to the end of the silent choice? Or is there a connector of some sort and it's two pieces? How is water kept out of the transom? Is the flex tube caulked in somehow?
Old 12-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The tips have a flange on the outside and you need to seal it well with marine grade caulk and screw the the tips to the transom.

You need to undo the clamps from the ends of the tips, not from the silent choice. The tips go all the way through the transom and are in the last section of of the rubber hose.

The Silent Choice does not make a difference. just make sure you get tips that have an SS internal flapper.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
The tips have a flange on the outside and you need to seal it well with marine grade caulk and screw the the tips to the transom.

You need to undo the clamps from the ends of the tips, not from the silent choice. The tips go all the way through the transom and are in the last section of of the rubber hose.

The Silent Choice does not make a difference. just make sure you get tips that have an SS internal flapper.
So if I'm reading you right, there IS a tip of some sort already on there....it's not just flex tube with a flapper on the end. Once I undo the clamps on the transom and take the flappers off, I should be able to see these better, correct? Reason I'm trying to clarify is that I don't remember seeing a flange of any sort with the present setup....then again may have been looking at it and not known it.

So only the clamps on the outside of the transom need to be undone....not the ones in the engine compartment?

If I'm understanding this right, it sounds like a pretty simple job, even for a novice.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The black flaps are now mounted to a small probably stainless extension. Take the external flap off, loosen the clamps on the internal hose. I used a chain/vise grip combo tool (kind of like a large oil filter wrench) to twist the tip out. Hopefully they did not use 5200 or this could be fun. Usually silicone was used which is much easier to remove. Clean the area up real well insert new tips using a good amount of silicone to reseal drill your holes and use stainless screws to secure them in place.

Be careful though as to not bind the internal hose, it may need to be shortened.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 45sonic
The black flaps are now mounted to a small probably stainless extension. Take the external flap off, loosen the clamps on the internal hose. I used a chain/vise grip combo tool (kind of like a large oil filter wrench) to twist the tip out. Hopefully they did not use 5200 or this could be fun. Usually silicone was used which is much easier to remove. Clean the area up real well insert new tips using a good amount of silicone to reseal drill your holes and use stainless screws to secure them in place.

Be careful though as to not bind the internal hose, it may need to be shortened.
Okay....I'm getting it now. If I have to shorten the internal hose, how hard is that and how do I go about it it?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't want to be a downer, but I have to ask if you can even see the tips on your boat. Seems like a real PITA for nothing to me. I'd apply the $500 towards some other upgrade

Quick Reply: Exhaust Tip Change

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.