Notices

Best price on Livorsi

Old 12-12-2007, 05:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nah- I like a deal the same as the next guy. I just like my "deal" to actually show up at some point.

This thread should be a real eye-opener to anyone contemplating getting into the marine parts & accessories business.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are a few vendors that have mentioned their service as well as price. I think you have a few to choose from.
Personally, I always have a bit of loyalty to the Co's that help me out of a jam, or have superior service.
This is my full-time job, I'm the purchasing guy for a manufacturing plant. I'm responsible for spending about 1.4 mil a year on supplies, and a few 100K on small equipment decisions throughout a year. Corporate is trying to get all of our locations buying from the same vendor, and I'm not always into that - because I've dealt with these other vendors in the past, and I'm willing to spend the extra $3.00 per part simply for the service or quality.

Gino, just my opinion, but you have several nice boats, and you're always tinkering with one of them, I suggest to choose one supplier that has been very good to you in the past that has superior product and service and stick with them. You'll be treated like a king every time you call, and saving that $100 on a single purchase doesn't mean much if you're broke down, and your normal supplier says he'll put the part on a Greyhound bus, and it'll be there tonight at his own expense so you can make the run tomorrow. Or, my sales rep contacted one of my competitors that had something I needed, picked it up, and delivered it to me personally. I've had both happen before, and for those reasons I have some loyalty.
BTW - are you hiring??
Old 12-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
There are a few vendors that have mentioned their service as well as price. I think you have a few to choose from.
Personally, I always have a bit of loyalty to the Co's that help me out of a jam, or have superior service.
This is my full-time job, I'm the purchasing guy for a manufacturing plant. I'm responsible for spending about 1.4 mil a year on supplies, and a few 100K on small equipment decisions throughout a year. Corporate is trying to get all of our locations buying from the same vendor, and I'm not always into that - because I've dealt with these other vendors in the past, and I'm willing to spend the extra $3.00 per part simply for the service or quality.

Gino, just my opinion, but you have several nice boats, and you're always tinkering with one of them, I suggest to choose one supplier that has been very good to you in the past that has superior product and service and stick with them. You'll be treated like a king every time you call, and saving that $100 on a single purchase doesn't mean much if you're broke down, and your normal supplier says he'll put the part on a Greyhound bus, and it'll be there tonight at his own expense so you can make the run tomorrow. Or, my sales rep contacted one of my competitors that had something I needed, picked it up, and delivered it to me personally. I've had both happen before, and for those reasons I have some loyalty.
BTW - are you hiring??
well put...............It all depends on the customers demands and expierance with its supplier........I feel like an as$ when i want to buy something from someone else besides who i always buy from....I think a distributor appreciates your loyalty or at least he should.......When i posted about speed and custom, He (scott) gives me excatly that.....Makes me feel like i am the guy with the 700,000 dollar mti when really i am the guy with a 27 magnum on a limited budget.....
Old 12-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by nocigarette
I feel like an as$ when i want to buy something from someone else besides who i always buy from....I think a distributor appreciates your loyalty or at least he should.......
Me to.
But, when I've called my regular vendor, and they don't have it in stock, and I need it tomorrow, I've had vendors step up to the plate, find the part I need from one of their competitors, absorb the extra cost, and I had it the next morning and was running again. For that, I will be loyal to them. It cut out a lot of leg-work for me, and also I had a gaurantee that they would get the job done - because they know that means my continued business with them.
That is the job of a good sales rep - not to only provide you with what he sells, but to find a way to get you what you NEED - even if he doesn't deal it, or see a nickel in the deal.
We all think the sales guy just sits back and makes commission, not the good ones - they bust there butt getting you what you need no matter if they make any money on that particular sale or not. A GOOD rep wants loyalty, and for good service, they deserve it.
I firmly believe this.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure how this thread went in this direction. Anyone that knows me knows I don't bargain shop. For this situation I don't need a vendor with a huge stocking inventory, I don't need lengthy experience or expertise, I don't need the largest dealer. For the first time in my boating life I simply need cheap. I have a $10,000 16 foot Donzi I don't want to turn into a $150,000 16 foot Donzi. As it is I'm probably going to put
$5k into this $10K Donzi, be sick of it in 60 days and sell it for $6k. I simply need cheap. Nothing custom, nothing fancy, nothing special order!
I in no way meant to offend anyone!
Old 12-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Registered

Talking

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Not sure how this thread went in this direction. Anyone that knows me knows I don't bargain shop. For this situation I don't need a vendor with a huge stocking inventory, I don't need lengthy experience or expertise, I don't need the largest dealer. For the first time in my boating life I simply need cheap. I have a $10,000 16 foot Donzi I don't want to turn into a $150,000 16 foot Donzi. As it is I'm probably going to put
$5k into this $10K Donzi, be sick of it in 60 days and sell it for $6k. I simply need cheap. Nothing custom, nothing fancy, nothing special order!
I in no way meant to offend anyone!

Don't take it the wrong way, but I'm counting pennies to put $6K into my boat. I'm a little over half way there.
I know you're on a diferent level.
I only wish I could get sick of my boat in 60 days, and pass it along.
You also are the owner of two other very incredible boats that I can only dream of ever owning. You earned it, you deserve it!!
Only wish I could say the same for myself - but I'm not done yet.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
For this situation I don't need a vendor with a huge stocking inventory, I don't need lengthy experience or expertise, I don't need the largest dealer. For the first time in my boating life I simply need cheap.
So basically, someone like Trick Marine?

Can you have all those things from a single supplier?

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-12-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
So basically, someone like Trick Marine?
I didn't want to say it.

You have enough money wrapped up in this business, stick with someone you trust. Doesn't matter which boat you're buying for, show loyalty, and they will treat you the same on every one of them.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
Don't take it the wrong way, but I'm counting pennies to put $6K into my boat. I'm a little over half way there.
I know you're on a diferent level.
I only wish I could get sick of my boat in 60 days, and pass it along.
You also are the owner of two other very incredible boats that I can only dream of ever owning. You earned it, you deserve it!!
Only wish I could say the same for myself - but I'm not done yet.

The reason I said i will be sick of it in 60 days is they just started a "no wake zone" until the end of May. You can only do so much putting around at 4 MPH! Not very much fun for too long! It's too small to go in the ocean. I didn't anticipate this when I bought it. If i was able to use it without restictions I would keep it and wouldn't mind investing money into it.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Gino what about another guage company? Or just run it the way it is. Part of what I LOVE about my Donzi is that I just get in it and have a blast. Is it perfect, HECK NO but it is SOOOOO much fun Remember what you liked about the boat was it was fun. If you make it perfect............. Just something to think about. Some of what I like about the Donzi 16-18's is that they are kind of historic, all the better that they show their age a little bit