Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Konrad/Speedmaster IIIA conversion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/175134-konrad-speedmaster-iiia-conversion.html)

matt81 12-11-2007 10:18 PM

gonna be lots of 3 parts around once everyone starts selling them to swap

NJgr8ful 12-11-2007 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Doller Offshore (Post 2367836)
Dang it yourself Brownie, give me a little more credit than that! :)
You could call it a helmet I guess......
from the press release.....

"All that’s required is to pull the existing Speedmaster drive units, pull the hinge pins from the SSM gimbal ring, remove the drive bellhousing and install the specially designed Konrad SSM conversion bellhousing. "

Mindi / Kurt, I too would like to know what Panther has asked a couple times. What if gimble rings are tired are the solutions for these parts??

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 2367834)
Is Mercury sill producing the replacement parts for the SSM III/IIIA gimbal housings/rings? If not, do you offer replacement parts for the SSM gimbal housing?

Great news and thanks for helping keep these Old School Classics modern and marketable! :cool: :drink:

Biggus 12-12-2007 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 2367834)
Great idea!

Is Mercury sill producing the replacement parts for the SSM III/IIIA gimbal housings/rings? If not, do you offer replacement parts for the SSM gimbal housing?

Yes, replacement parts for these gimbal assemblies are available. Only the very early III (70's) gimbal rings are discontinued.

At this time, Konrad does not intend on offering a gimbal assembly for this conversion.

[email protected]

Biggus 12-12-2007 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by f311fr1 (Post 2368221)
How much lower is the "X" than a #5. What kind of props work on the Konrads? What prop would you run on a step hull to provide some bow lift?

The Konrad/SSMIII conversion drive is 4" deeper than a SSMV, (2" higher than the III) From your pics I see your SSMV is fitted with a 2" spacer, that would put the Konrad unit 2" deeper than your present configuration.
As for props, it really depends on the boat but I've seen great results with labbed Maximus 5 blade.

Thanks for the positive comments guys!!!:drink: And BIG thanks to Doller Offshore for all their help during this project! :D

[email protected]

thedonz 12-12-2007 06:21 AM

great job everyone involved!

Doller Offshore 12-12-2007 10:05 AM

Sorry guys, did not mean to leave you hanging, swamped here....I will post more photo's and answer questions shortly!

Panther 12-12-2007 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Biggus (Post 2368789)
Yes, replacement parts for these gimbal assemblies are available. Only the very early III (70's) gimbal rings are discontinued.

At this time, Konrad does not intend on offering a gimbal assembly for this conversion.

[email protected]

Kurt, thanks for the feedback!

Doller Offshore 12-12-2007 10:49 AM

Changing the gimbal bell housing

3 Attachment(s)
The pivot/hinge pin cover plates have to be removed, then remove the pins. This is one example of Mercury's configuration, if yours is different we can help you with that.
The bellows and gear oil lines are then disconnected, everything is cleaned and new parts installed.
You will no longer need the engagement starter spring from the tail stock, it will not be used with the Konrad drive.
Re-install the bell housing with the Konrad pivot pin's, and re-install the cover plates.
**Please note* Konrad includes an excellent installation manual that provides further details for your individual project!

Doller Offshore 12-12-2007 10:54 AM

install the drive

3 Attachment(s)
you are now ready to install the drive using the Konrad supplied bell housing gasket. Prepare the drive for installation, engage the spline as it is installed, and fasten to the bell housing.