Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
NIGHT BOATING--Hit a telephone pole >

NIGHT BOATING--Hit a telephone pole

Notices

NIGHT BOATING--Hit a telephone pole

Old 12-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

hit a rock ledge idling into sandbar in my old Lib......since i wasnt satisfied Id f ucked up the prop and lower unit enough I stopped and backed over it again just to make sure I beat the chit out of it real good

should of kept going.....changed prop and limped back to port @ 35mph(40 min ride)......taking on a bit of water........repaired lower unit, new propshaft....had engine pulled to reseal transom assy ........no shortage of damage

right on the other side of this island!
Attached Thumbnails NIGHT BOATING--Hit a telephone pole-super-weekend-michael-debbie-044.jpg  

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 12-12-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Had it been a Fountain, the pole would have sheared away cleanly and the boater could have continued on his way.
Cutting off poles and trees in the way. So thats what the beek is for. Knew it had to be there for something.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I've heard those telephone poles have a coating on them that keeps them from rotting away even when they are floating in the water....
In the old days they were coated in creosote- just like railroad ties. It was more of a weatherproofing coating and they'd still rot from the inside. Now they're pressure treated, just like the deck lumber at the hardware store. In water, they'll last a very long time.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Registered

creosote:

That was the stuff I was thinking about....That chit is all over the bottom of my boat...
Old 12-12-2007, 10:44 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Another picture of Temporary Insanity 2.

We do a lot of boating along the Houston ship channel on our way out to the Bay and the Gulf, it is for the most part 48' deep. There are ships that draw 46' loaded, if you follow them you have to keep a close eye for what their prop wash picks up off the bottom, railroad ties and telephone poles are not unusual, they float for a minute then sink again.

Attached Thumbnails NIGHT BOATING--Hit a telephone pole-000101temporaryinsanity1.jpg  

Last edited by Wobble; 12-12-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn't Mythbusters prove that this pole-splitting-the-hull accident wasn't possible?
Old 12-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Didn't Mythbusters prove that this pole-splitting-the-hull accident wasn't possible?
I saw that eposide....I don't think they used a reggie raft in that test
Old 12-12-2007, 11:26 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

found this, always wondered what the real story was when seeing those pictures

Baltimore Sun, 9/18/2000 - from a column by Dan Rodricks: "Will There Be A III ?"

Near Bay Bridge Marina on Kent Island: Just before 2 a.m., a 1992, 38-ft. Fountain power boat slammed into a fixed, channel marker, ripping a 17-ft. gash in the forward hull & becoming impaled on the steel piling holding the channel marker. A passenger suffered a broken arm & lacerations; a passing boater rescued the two men. DNR police cited the skipper, who "claimed to have been blinded by the lights of a sailboat", for negligence, traveling at an unsafe speed, & failure to maintain a proper lookout.

An alert couple, M.&F. Lobach, happened to visit the Bay Bridge Marina when Temporary Insanity II was being hauled, after the impalement. They reported the boat as a 42-ft. Fountain, otherwise their story matched the Sun's above. The Mariner of September 22, 2000, p.11 reproduced their pictures of Temporary Insanity II.

http://www.apg.army.mil/sibo/fountain.htm
Attached Thumbnails NIGHT BOATING--Hit a telephone pole-fountain3.jpg  

Last edited by Wobble; 12-12-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:56 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

last one I think

found this comment on mythbusters forum,

jgrass

As I posted before, I was in that marina the night that the "myth" happened. The posts for the channel markers at Bay Bridge Marina are, in fact, round. What I don't get is how something that actually happened and for which there are witnesses becomes a "myth". We can argue about what the boats actual speed was. The operator probably shaded the truth all he could when he finally turned up to talk to the police. But that photo is real and that was what folks on the A, B and C docks could see when they got up the next morning.

And in discussing what the captain would do in these circumstances, remember it was dark, the marker unlighted and the captain totally soused.
Attached Thumbnails NIGHT BOATING--Hit a telephone pole-fountain-aa.jpg  

Last edited by Wobble; 12-12-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I rarely boat at night. It's just not very enjoyable to me worrying about what could possibly happen. 9 out of 10 accidents you hear about are at night.

Quick Reply: NIGHT BOATING--Hit a telephone pole

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.