Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   NIGHT BOATING--Hit a telephone pole (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/175139-night-boating-hit-telephone-pole.html)

Westcoast 12-11-2007 10:36 AM

NIGHT BOATING--Hit a telephone pole

I had the boat out Sun. night and struck a phucking 10' telephone pole. Lucky for me I was crusing slow at about 25mph. It felt like I fan aground. I think I struck it dead on and it sunk alittle then popped up just in time for the drives to hit it. No prop dammage just a bent skeg on the port drive and some gelcoat damage.... I do feel very lucky. I had 7 people on board. It could have been so much worse.
Has anyone else had this happen to them?:(:(

Queenie 12-11-2007 10:42 AM

Wow, you are lucky.

That's one of my biggest fears when boating is hitting something dead on like that when we're running. Come close a few times, but fortunately have never hit anything.

When storms blow in from the north it sends all the debris inland and you need to be more cautious. The beginning of the season is always a joy too!

Glad to hear no one got hurt and there's minimal damage.

VetteLT193 12-11-2007 10:45 AM

I've seen more crap in the ocean it blows my mind. Everything from full size doors off houses to logs etc.

Glad you are ok, sucks hitting anything.

Westcoast 12-11-2007 10:45 AM

Thanks
We had some real big rain storms last week and after our fires that we had all kinds of stuff has been floating in the bay.

sleeper_dave 12-11-2007 10:47 AM

I hit something like that earlier this season. It was a rough day out, maybe 4-5 footers, so it was pretty hard to see anything in the water. Early in the season, so lots of stuff getting flushed out into the lake. Felt like I ran aground, but then it was over really quick and the boat was still moving. Going maybe 30 mph. Looked behind me and saw 2 sections of a big log, maybe 10" diameter, floating up behind me. Looked like it bounced along the hull and hit the drive square and got cut in half. Took a little chip out of the leading edge of the drive, no significant damage. Prop was fine.

Westcoast 12-11-2007 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave (Post 2367555)
I hit something like that earlier this season. It was a rough day out, maybe 4-5 footers, so it was pretty hard to see anything in the water. Early in the season, so lots of stuff getting flushed out into the lake. Felt like I ran aground, but then it was over really quick and the boat was still moving. Going maybe 30 mph. Looked behind me and saw 2 sections of a big log, maybe 10" diameter, floating up behind me. Looked like it bounced along the hull and hit the drive square and got cut in half. Took a little chip out of the leading edge of the drive, no significant damage. Prop was fine.

Fountains do cut the logs right in half...

hunster 12-11-2007 10:53 AM

Was out with a buddy on his hustler with trips . Stopped to chat with a couple guys just returning from the bay and then headed out to the ocean. While in a no wake zone idleing out all of a sudden heard thud , thud , thud etc , etc. shut the mills down and a piling cutting about 2 feet long popped up after bouncing off and between the three drives!!!!! Saw a oil slick by the stbd drive and we decided to be safe and head back to the trailer. Ran back on 2 , gotta love being on plane running like 50 dragging a drive rather than idleing for an hour. Anyway , back on the trailer all was ok , I just greased the gimbals and everything before that run. I guess I used too much grease!!!! We were lucky!!!

Chris Sunkin 12-11-2007 10:55 AM

Fountains have received a special dispensation from adhering to the laws of physics. You didn't think that was just for speed and rough-water ability, did you?

Westcoast 12-11-2007 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2367571)
Fountains have received a special dispensation from adhering to the laws of physics. You didn't think that was just for speed and rough-water ability, did you?

:D:D

open87 12-11-2007 11:00 AM

yup , still not sure if it was a pole or a tree , but we were in a 23c-hawk and boat launched clean out the water when we hit it , but we we also doing about 50 mph in the industrial canal heading back to lake ponchartrain (west end) at 9 pm . that strech was well lit up due to the industrial plants along there. we had stopped by the old trinity yacht boat house to pick up a few more specks before heading home and hit it after leaving to go to the seabrook bridge...

scared the chit out of us:eek: no damage though..